Land of The Samurai

Isn't it stated that Courtesy is a basic skill in the Land of Samurai, because its more integral to Japanese culture ?

I seem to remember reading that, but I could be mistaken

Jandar said:
- The table for Gifts & Heirlooms seems to be geared almost exclusively towards fighting Samurai, Ashigaru, and other martial characters, because 98 out of the 100 possible results on the table would give the character a weapon: an extra sword, a daikyu, a yari, and so on. The table is not bad, but maybe not of much use to some characters. One of my players wants to play a Noble (Kuge!) entertainer, a female character to boot, and she rolled a naginata on that table. What is she to do with a naginata?

Isn't the Naginata (r the smaller verision - (nakimaka?)) a traditional weapon of female nobles?

weasel_fierce said:
Isn't it stated that Courtesy is a basic skill in the Land of Samurai, because its more integral to Japanese culture ?

I seem to remember reading that, but I could be mistaken

That is a logical conclusion, but I still had to look it up.

I'm almost sure it is explained that way at the beginning of the Land of the Samurai book, but I couldn't tell you right now which page it is on.

duncan_disorderly said:
Jandar said:
- The table for Gifts & Heirlooms seems to be geared almost exclusively towards fighting Samurai, Ashigaru, and other martial characters, because 98 out of the 100 possible results on the table would give the character a weapon: an extra sword, a daikyu, a yari, and so on. The table is not bad, but maybe not of much use to some characters. One of my players wants to play a Noble (Kuge!) entertainer, a female character to boot, and she rolled a naginata on that table. What is she to do with a naginata?

Isn't the Naginata (r the smaller verision - (nakimaka?)) a traditional weapon of female nobles?

Blades for everyone, I decree! :twisted:

I'm just not sure whether that particular player is going to be spending much time fighting or training with a deadly weapon.

Jandar said:
- The table for Gifts & Heirlooms seems to be geared almost exclusively towards fighting Samurai, Ashigaru, and other martial characters, because 98 out of the 100 possible results on the table would give the character a weapon: an extra sword, a daikyu, a yari, and so on. The table is not bad, but maybe not of much use to some characters.

Japanese culture seems to have been very martial at that time and a FRPG probably concentrates on the martial aspects more than was perhaps the case.

Jandar said:
One of my players wants to play a Noble (Kuge!) entertainer, a female character to boot, and she rolled a naginata on that table. What is she to do with a naginata?

Use it as a hook for roleplaying?

She was given a naginata by her ancestors but doesn't need one. What does she do? Does she sell it and risk dishonouring her ancestors? Does she leave it locked away in a cupboard? What if it gets stolen? Does she carry it around with her? Does she put it into a shrine? Can she give it to another more deserving member of her clan as a gift, thus retaining her honour? What if it has magical powers or is special? Would not using it anger her clan spirits?

soltakss said:
She was given a naginata by her ancestors but doesn't need one. What does she do? Does she sell it and risk dishonouring her ancestors? Does she leave it locked away in a cupboard? What if it gets stolen? Does she carry it around with her? Does she put it into a shrine? Can she give it to another more deserving member of her clan as a gift, thus retaining her honour? What if it has magical powers or is special? Would not using it anger her clan spirits?

A very good idea for a starting point.

Next time we meet, I'll have to make sure that I tell my players that they cannot simply sell an heirloom for cash in the game, as there is honor at stake.

Thanks for the answers.

Hi Jandar,

Here are some answers to your questions!

- It's not clearly stated in the LotS book whether or not player-characters also get the 100 Free Skill Points as described in the RuneQuest Rulebook. To me, it was logical that they should be added on top of Cultural Background and Profession bonuses as normal. If that is not the case, a starting Shinto Priest or Buddhist Monk would only get their INT's worth in Theology and Language, for example. A little too low, if you ask me.

Yes, all characters gain the additional 100 Free Skill Points.

A good point. As Soltaks has already said, Japanese culture is highly militaristic and weapons as heirlooms are a staple of the culture. A naginata/nagimaki is a 'female' weapon, but, as GM, it would be entirely appropriate for you to allow the character to choose something else for a female character: a particularly stunning kimono or calligraphy set, perhaps. Don't feel too bound by the Heirlooms table.

- Speaking of entertainers, or Togi: The text block for the Togi Profession says that they are "[a]lways of a relatively low rank," but I wasn't sure whether this means they are also always non-nobles by definition. Several pages earlier, the Caste/Class table allows for Entertainers (musicians, actors, poets) to be from the Kuge class. I was immediately thinking, "...ah yes, an exquisite geisha", but I can't say whether the mention of Togi under the Kuge class was intentional, or an oversight.

Entertainers do exist amongst the noble classes but choosing that as a profession would equate to following a profession that's somewhat 'below' one's standing. For a female character, then there wouldn't be the same sort of stigma as for a male, so that exquisite geisha is a good intepretation of the class at that cultural level.

- Lastly, and I'm sure this has already been pointed out by some readers, the skill of "Courtesy" is always mentioned as a Basic Skill in the char-gen chapter (ppg. 38-41), however the standard RQ character sheet never lists it as such, and the RQ Companion first introduced it as an Advanced Skill. There are no numerical mistakes, and no damage done to the game system, but I just thought that the Basic Skill/Advanced Skill distinction might confuse a new player.

Yes, all characters have Courtesy as a basic skill; is not considered an advanced skill, but something all Japanese characters have, and are trained in, from birth.

Hope these answers help clarify!

Loz

Loz said:
Entertainers do exist amongst the noble classes but choosing that as a profession would equate to following a profession that's somewhat 'below' one's standing. For a female character, then there wouldn't be the same sort of stigma as for a male, so that exquisite geisha is a good intepretation of the class at that cultural level.

- Lastly, and I'm sure this has already been pointed out by some readers, the skill of "Courtesy" is always mentioned as a Basic Skill in the char-gen chapter (ppg. 38-41), however the standard RQ character sheet never lists it as such, and the RQ Companion first introduced it as an Advanced Skill. There are no numerical mistakes, and no damage done to the game system, but I just thought that the Basic Skill/Advanced Skill distinction might confuse a new player.

Yes, all characters have Courtesy as a basic skill; is not considered an advanced skill, but something all Japanese characters have, and are trained in, from birth.

Thanks a lot, Loz.

That really clears up all the doubts I had (slight as they have been).

I'm definitely looking forward to running this soon. One of the player-characters, a Sohei by profession, even took both the Tendai and Shingon schools of Theology, because his class got the Theology skill twice. So far, he has left the other characters in the dark as to whether he is a Tendai monk who has studied Shingon thought just for the sake of knowledge, or a Shingon monk who has studied Tendai! Wow.

I might even plan an afternoon of Land of the Samurai for next year's Tentacles Con! (Hope to meet you there again, Loz.)

Jandar said:
Hello there,

Hang it by the door where it is supposed to go. Buke women where trained to use naginata and where expected to defend their home with it.

Back