Kull DIY project (CC & suggestion welcomed)

rabindranath72 said:
Boneguard said:
and this one is pretty good, but again I'm not fully satisfied of the Nations layout.
Nice map! What's the scale?

I don't know the scale persay...I found it online, but if you look closely you can see the outline of Hyboria...so roughly the same size as Conan's Hyboria.

Yeah it's one of the best found so far, but -for me- there's 2 problem with it.
s
In Riding into the sunrise/Untitled fragment: Kull describe the lay of the land and, the way he says it, Farsun and Thurania are much closing -since they are rival nations. On this map Kaa-u and Verulia are rightbetween the two.

Lemuria is a chain of Island formed by the highest peak of Sunkun Mu (I don't recall where this is stated though)...so it stand to beleive that Lemuria and Mu would be closer together then shown on this map.

This is something I'm planning to address in my personal map.

1: I suggest 1D8 hp for a Conan Minstrel, the Conan RPG is for more dangerous than D&D 3.5

2: I really enjoy what you did with Inspiring Song and Influence, so keep them as is, VERY GOOD

3: Few suggestions on aids for Minstrels; ie Musical Instruments: Kettle Drum can amplify his talent over great distances, his Inspiring Song could affect Warriors over great areas on a battle field.

4: High Quality (not yet apart of rules, but could be designed) or Masterwork could add varied bonuses to the Morale Bonus

5: Maybe skill points could be 8 per level, I play a Gnome Bard at this moment, in fact I play him tonight, Jezrab Flinchal would certainly think he not getting enough skill points for the amount of Skill in his Class Selection, these are talented fellows with many skills like Scholar and Thief and should be regard on same level as them

1: I was debating that between a d6 and a d8 and leaned towrds the d6 since both 'non-combatant' class -Scholar and temptress had d6 and I was seeing the minstrel as more of a non combattant, support character. But I'll look into it.

3-4: Good suggestion, i,ll see what I can do with it.

5: That would make him as knowledgable as a Scholar, and distinguishing him a bit more from the Temptress...yeah that might work better.

I will pounder on this this weekend and see a bit more when I'll write a bit more of this book.

Back into the saddle.

I've kept the d6 for hit point ot keep him non combatant, but I did modify him to hve 8+int instead of 6+int skills for being more knowledgeable.

I'm not too sure how I will work it out for the Musical instrument, but I'll consider some kind of rules for circumctence bonus to some of ghis skills.

Now before continuing on the Class Borderer and Noble, I fist need to work on the Racial profile.

I might end up with maybe 10 template with a few subtemplate.

Atlantean would be one with 3 subtemplate
Mu will be one with Lemurian as Subtemplate
Thurian will be one with a few subtemplate.
And a few others.

I'll keep you posted

Here's the racial breakup: Not very elegant (as setup), but it gives a good idea of how I see things.

Major and Minor races of the Thurian Age
Major Races __________Associated Variant races__________Nations
Atlantean____________Civilized, Beast-man______________Atlantis
Elder________________-_____________________________-
Kaa-u_______________-_____________________________Kaa-u
Leptean______________-____________________________Southern Nation
Mu__________________Lemurian______________________Lemuria, Mu
Pict_________________-_____________________________Pict Islands
Snake-People_________-_____________________________-
Sillan_______________Baekjean_______________________Silla,Baekje
Southern Islander_____-______________________________Demascar, Rikos
Thurian_____________Grondarean, Zarfhaanan___________Commoria, Farsun, Grondar, Kamelia, Valusia, Verulia, Thurania, Zarfhaana
Thulean_____________-______________________________Thule
Va’atu______________Van’atu_________________________Far Eastern Land

Ok here is my first template. I Used the Cimmerian and the Hyperborean to help me since one is the descendant of the Atlantean and the other is isolationist and xenophobic.

So what do you think?? CC welcomed:

ATLANTEAN
Atlanteans are a race of Isolationist, xenophobic Islanders. Their skin is on the dark side of fair and tans easily. They tend to have dark hair and blue or grey eyes. They are tall physically powerful, very fierce. They are not often met, but still have a reputation of being one of the fiercest barbarian cultures. Atlantean are very blunt and direct in their manner of speech.

Culture: Atlantean culture is survivalist and barbaric. Atlantean are a race of fierce, isolationist islanders. They live in tribes spread across the various mountains, valleys and jungles of the Island. They despise anyone that is not of their own tribe, making them a feuding war-like race. They are however not very advanced technologically still making use of primitive weapons

Names: Atlantean names tend to be short and hyphenated. Some exemple of male names are Kull, Am-ra and Gor-na. exemple of a Female name is Ala.

Religion: Atlantean tends mostly toward Totemic faith –In which each one has a personal totem. Some calls upon the Old Gods.

Racial Features: All of the following are Atlantean racial features:
• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, - 2 intelligence, -2 charisma. Atlantean are a very powerful race, but isolationist and xenophobic attitude and bluntness makes it hard to deal with others.
• +2 racial bonus to all climb and swim checks. Living on a mountainous Island makes them some of the best mountain climber and swimmer
• -1 racial penalty to all Diplomacy, gather information, verbal-oriented performance and bluff checks: Their prejudice does transpose in their speech.
• +2 Circumstance bonus to all hide, Listen, move silently, survival and Spot check made in Jungles, Temperate Mountain and Mountainous seacoast. The Atlantean thoroughly master their environment.

Background Skills: Climb, Knowledge (local), Survival, swim

Favored Class: Barbarian

Prohibited Class: Gladiator, Noble, Minstrel, Scholar, Temptress

Automatic languages: Atlantean

Bonus languages: Pict, Kaa-u, Lemurian

The civilized Atlantean will be a bit more 'balanced' game-wise...as will the other racial template. But I wanted the Atlantean to be Serious Bad@$$.

The only 3 other 'Unblanced' template will be the Intelligent Beast-man of Atlantis, the Serpent-man and potentially the elder Race. Savage Beast-man of Atlantis will be in the Bestiary. Unbalance in termes of high plus and low negatives, but overall breaking even...I think.

I was debating whether to include the Bridmen, seen in 1 Kull story, but I think not, they were too one-shot to be worth it.

Good day,

Well after a bit of 1 year hiatus, I'm back and this winter I intend to restart working on my Kull Sourcebook. Life got reall busy and crazy but at least I was able to buy and ready the final Kull Comic book reprint from Dark Horse Comic.

The first order will be to complete the Race section so that I might afterward complete the class section (indicate class update)...and maybe get myself a PDF editor to put it in a nice clean format rather then word.

Now my question for you...Are you still interested in seeing my work progression??

Sweet!

I'm glad that there's still some interest. Over the holiday I'll try to get some of the Racial Template done...give you a bit of something to look at...and as always I'm always open to CC.

Here is one Racial template I'm having a bit of issue. But where I'm debating is: Should I give it +1 or +2 level adjustmenr or not?

Background: About 60 years ago, a evil Sorceror started to experiment and created a race of Beastman (kind of like ape-man) by magically altering Atlantian. Most went feral but a few retain some of their intelligence and tried to control their more feral kin.

Now The original Beastman is a template added to the Atlantian Racial modifier (+2Str, +2Con, -2Int, -2Cha) for a total of +4Str, +6Dex, +4Con -6Int, -2Wis, -6Cha.
Also the original template would give:
- Low-light vision,
- Improve grapple,
- 3 natural attack (1d6 fist, 1d6 fist, 1d8 bite)
- Naturalarmour +2 and Damage reduction of 3 (tough hide).
- +4d8 (eg 4 humanoid level)

But recently 1st and 2nd generation born Beastmen are starting to show up and the Intelligent Beastman would be available as a (rare) PC race on Atlantis:

Stat modifier: +4Str, +6Dex, +4Con, -4Int, -2Wis, -4Cha
Level wise: 4 level of humanoid
Racial benefit: Low-light vision; 3 natural attacks; natural armor +2 and DR3; +2 to climb, -1 additional pernalty to social skill with non-beastman; +2 Circumstance bonus to all hide, Listen, move silently, survival and Spot check made in Jungles.
Racial skill: climb, hide, listen, spot, survival.
Low-tech culture (stone and wooden simple weapon only)

I'm aware it's physically over the top and more powerful that all other racial template present, but I'm also trying to balance it with a slower progression and social penalty.

Go ahead and Rip in and help me improve it (in other world CC and suggestion please)

Boneguard said:
Here is one Racial template I'm having a bit of issue. But where I'm debating is: Should I give it +1 or +2 level adjustmenr or not?

Background: About 60 years ago, a evil Sorceror started to experiment and created a race of Beastman (kind of like ape-man) by magically altering Atlantian. Most went feral but a few retain some of their intelligence and tried to control their more feral kin.

Now The original Beastman is a template added to the Atlantian Racial modifier (+2Str, +2Con, -2Int, -2Cha) for a total of +4Str, +6Dex, +4Con -6Int, -2Wis, -6Cha.
- Low-light vision,
- Improve grapple,
- 3 natural attack (1d6 fist, 1d6 fist, 1d8 bite)
- AC 15 and Damage reduction of 3 (tough hide).
- +4d8 (eg 4 humanoid level)

But recently 1st and 2nd generation born Beastmen are starting to show up and the Intelligent Beastman would be available as a (rare) PC race on Atlantis:

Stat modifier: +4Str, +6Dex, +4Con, +4Int, +2Wis, +4Cha
Level wise: 4 level of humanoid
Racial benefit: Low-light vision; 3 natural attacks; AC15 and DR3; +2 to climb, -1 additional pernalty to social skill with non-beastman; +2 Circumstance bonus to all hide, Listen, move silently, survival and Spot check made in Jungles.

I'm aware it's physically over the top and more powerful that all other racial template present, but I'm also trying to balance it with a slower progression and social penalty.

Go ahead and Rip in and help me improve it (in other world CC and suggestion please)

I think your damage increments are way too high. Your stats indicate that Beastman's natch attacks are the equivalent of 2 short swords and 1 longsword per round. WAY too much.
I'd recommend 1-3 x 2 and 1d4 for the bite. That's still alot of damage. More so than a large wolf of 150lbs.

Hmm good point.

1d3 x2, 1d4 sounds good...yes. painful but not too overpowering.

Also I,ve edit a couple mistake in the original post.

-1 social penalty? this guy doesn't have a lisp or a goofy unibrow.
Remember on a d20 game -1 is only 5% reduction
the dude is a hulking beast with fur claws and fangs. Definitely a -10 (ie he's doing normal (10dc challenges at 20 dc checks).
I'm not really sure why he would even have social interactions. Not like he's going to the bar and seduce a wench or haggle with a greengrocer for some fruit. The dude is just going to grab and take things.

Boneguard,

Remember, when doing your stats, that the Conan RPG is actually designed to be played at very low levels (according to 2nd Edition). The majority of the NPCs your PCs will encounter will be in the 1-3 level range, no matter the level of the PCs. The stand-out NPCs will be 4th level or higher, but very rarely higher than 10th. There is much ado about the Pictish savages in the Conan stories, but the game tells us that the average Pict warrior is 1st level. Belit's black Corsairs are feared up and down the western coast, but the game shows us that Belit's average corsair is a 2nd level character.

If your Kull game is to mirror the Conan RPG (and I think the Conan RPG plays extremely well given the 2nd Edition clarifcation on the game's character level sweespot), keep that sweetspot in mind when designing your critters, classes, and characters.

Fair point. How about this revised version then?

- Low-light vision,
- Improve grapple,
- 3 natural attack (1d3 x2 fists; 1d4 bite)
- Natural armor +2 and Damage reduction of 3 (tough hide).
- +2d8 (2 humanoid level)
- 10 penalty to social skill with non beastmen
- Level adjustment +2

But recently 1st and 2nd generation borned Beastmen are starting to show up and the Intelligent Beastman would be available as a (rare) PC race on Atlantis:

Level wise: 2 level of humanoids
Racial benefit: Low-light vision; 3 natural attacks; Natural armor +2 and DR3; +2 to climb, -10 additional penalty to social skill with non-beastman; +2 Circumstance bonus to all hide, Listen, move silently, survival and Spot check made in Jungles.
Level adjustment +2

Boneguard said:
Fair point. How about this revised version then?

- Low-light vision,
- Improve grapple,
- 3 natural attack (1d3 x2 fists; 1d4 bite)
- Natural armor +2 and Damage reduction of 3 (tough hide). So he gets 5DR?
- +2d8 (2 humanoid level)
- 10 penalty to social skill with non beastmen
- Level adjustment +2

But recently 1st and 2nd generation borned Beastmen are starting to show up and the Intelligent Beastman would be available as a (rare) PC race on Atlantis:

Level wise: 2 level of humanoids
Racial benefit: Low-light vision; 3 natural attacks FROM / WITH WHAT; Natural armor +2 and DR3; +2 to climb, -10 additional penalty to social skill with non-beastman; +2 Circumstance bonus to all hide, Listen, move silently, survival and Spot check made in Jungles.
Level adjustment +2

Sorry if I am coming across as a "downer," I'm not trying to be.
I'd like to see a fan-produced KULL variant for the D20 module.
I'm somewhat leery of having really bad-ass player races to the point where no-one wants to be a human.

Back