Jump and misjump

BoilMyButtons said:
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. It seems from what people are saying is that Traveller just isn't up to a conspiracy theory sort of game.

That seems surprising to me, as when it's boiled down, all I'm after is a way to simulate people chasing and trying to capture the player, while the player investigates what happened. There certainly seem to be rules for it, such as stealth to avoid being spotted, investigation for searching for clues, etc. The Agent career even seems tailor built for that.

It's good to know I'm barking up the wrong tree though. I've run conspiracy games in various systems before, even D&D of all things, and had them work well. I think I'll try something different for Traveller, though, as it seems it's just lacking in that department. Thanks, everyone.

I don't think anyone in this thread has given reason for you to not do a conspiracy game. There is nothing in the Traveller setting that would keep you from running such a game. Your original question was about jumpspace, not how to run a conspiracy-themed Traveller adventure.

With the many different political and racial factions, not to mention that each planet is more or less free to have its own political system, the Traveller universe offers you an near-infininite amount of settings to do this within. You are only limited by your imagination.

One idea that would fit in the Official Traveller Universe is that you place the "incident" in-or-near the Abyss Rift in Spinward Marshes, as strange jumpspace occurances happens there :) So that way you will not need to explain anything with physics or according to any rules, as all spacefarers of the marshes knows that strange things happens there...

The idea however, sounds awesome

A few library data entries that may interest you:

Winkle: A person who has spent unusually long time (often several generations) in cold sleep, most often as a result of misjumping to somewhere far from a star system and having to travel back to civilization by sublight drive. Named after the hero of an old Solomani folk tale (see Rip van Winkle).

Such people often suffer severe psycological problems from being suddenly cut off from their roots, everyone they knew dead, and the whole universe drastically changed. Winkles often compensate by forming excessively tight loyalty bonds, either to their fellow survivors or to the organization they were working for at the time of their accident.

Also called a girgi.

Girgi: Vilani name for a winkle. Named after the hero of an old Vilani folk tale.

Giirkha Girgi: The protagonist of an old Vilani folk-tale about a foolish wanderer who found and entered an enchanted castle where he slept for ten kargukula (roughly 130 years). Upon awakening and returning to his village, Girgi finds his young fiancé grown old and on her deathbed surrounded by five generations of her descendants that could have been his if he had not been so foolhardy.

Girgi has become a Vilani term for a winkle.

The story is similar to a Solomani folk-tale about one Rip Van Winkle who falls into an enchanted sleep only to awaken many years later to find the world has changed.

Hans

I recall that there was one time a TNS bulletin that described an actual victim of jumpspace sickness. Does anyone else remember this and more importanly, the details on the effects?

Back