[JBE] Kraft Fighter (Feedback Please)

dmccoy1693

Cosmic Mongoose
Good day everyone.

So I took a few hours this morning converting over the Kraft Fighter to 2e MGT, and we want your feedback on the overall look of the thing. Is it readable? Does it look good? Did I do a terrible job of drawing the fighter?

Ignore the text itself; I copies and pasted the 1e version of the text as a placeholder. I haven't updated it to the new version and my editors haven't gotten ahold of it yet.

Thanks in advance.

kraft.jpg

kraft2.jpg

The illustration is fine. For a craft with only a cockpit the illustration is much more important than the deck-plan.

It is, as far as I can see, not designed with standard MgT2 HG ß, but that is perhaps intentional.

Most of it looks ok to me, the only problem i can see is the power points are wrong, a 2 ton TL13 fusion power plant generates 15 power per ton, so power points would be 30 not 21.

Sorry to be petty, but:
Fuel should be minimum 1 dT.
At 10 dT you only have 1 firmpoint, so only one laser.
The Laser should use 2 energy ( 4 -25%[firmpoint] -25%[EnergyEff] )
Power Plant is off (as already noted).
Reflec and Stealth cannot be combined.
Armour and drives need not be rounded to whole dT (can save you almost 0.5 dT).
I get the cost to about MCr35.7.
Hull configuration, and hence streamlining is not noted.

Personal opinion:
Emissions Absorption Grid combines nicely with Stealth.
You have a good sensor and a big computer, an Elec( Sensor ) expert system would help the pilot get the most out of it, and it's very cheap.

Old timer said:
Most of it looks ok to me, the only problem i can see is the power points are wrong, a 2 ton TL13 fusion power plant generates 15 power per ton, so power points would be 30 not 21.
I must have typoed the excel sheet.

I'm not looking (at this moment) for a full break down of the math. What I want to know are things like, does the background make the text unreadable, is the placement of the power numbers unhelpful, the grid behind the deck plan is distracting, things like that. I'm trying to come to with a look and feel for my own ships and want to know what needs adjusting.

The light blue borders on the grey background don't look right to me. Could I suggest a dark red.

The grid on the desk plan is distracting. Makes the legend a bit hard to read. Maybe if the grid was lighter it would be ok, or even have no grid as per the text area.

The drawing of the fighter looks great, but the border around it is a bit distracting. Might look nicer with no border at all.

Some of the black text on the background, i.e. the page title and number, are a bit hard to read. Making the background lighter could help, or maybe the text itself needs a little white glow around the edges to better separate it from the background.

1) For the first text part, do you think it would make sense to describe the fighter first (Description heading), and then have a deployment/history section? Kind of like a mini-Janes or other background document. Not sure on how you are going to publish this, but a full page description with some text on maybe when it was built, initial deployment successful raids/etc, to give more background and life to the fighter is always nice. If this is going to be a pure e-Pub, then you aren't going to run into space.

2) The ship illustration is fine, but what about changing the angles, to fit say a side view, with a person to show scale? There are a number of ways to show the silhouette of the craft that make it look both neat and useful. Kind of like the old-school WW2 aircraft posters. I can't think of any references at the moment for sci-fi, but there are some out there. Some alternative views, or even colorings with squadron markers and such would be a nice touch. Or, if you could put a flight of them in with a space background...

3) The internal view is fine, but as was pointed out above, for such a small fighter, it really doesn't need to be done because it's just a cockpit.

4) The data card is ok, but I think it might be better to skip the blue and go with greyscale, if you are looking to make it more print-friendly. For the Crew, you could put a "(1)" below to indicate the number. While for this small craft it's obvious, however if you are going to bundle this with others, or use the same templates you may be adding more crew later, so the consistent format would make more sense there. For maintenance you should label it month, or annual, just to make it clear. And you could also add "cost" or "price" under the Purchase heading.

Back