... is there hope on horizon?

G Quan

Mongoose
found S&P 71

Miniatures Return
The Mongoose forges have begun warming up
in preparation of producing more Miniatures.
Over the next few months, you will see a
‘Classic Miniatures’ section appear on our web
site, where we will be making available a few
of the miniatures we have produced in the
past. We are still sorting out exactly what will
be appearing in this range, but a certain highly
popular fleet of ships is a strong possibility.

May be some ships from B5 that not based on the TV show.... :roll: :?:

We've noticed - or rather, our notice was drawn to it. ;)

See Sutible Min proxie for the Gaim.

Summary: in response to that thread, Matt pointed us at the same part of S&P 71, leading to speculation that the Gaim fleet will be manufactured again, and possibly some other ships.

That would mean that the B5 game license is going to be renewed after all? Or they can license specific ships without licensing the whole game world? Hopefully they will retain the more iconic ships as seen in the show (e.g. Omega, G'Quan, Sharlin, Primus, Shadow Cruiser).

The iconic ships will definitly fall under the B5 licence from Warner, so I think no hope of seeing the again.

I don't care if the Gaim are reproduced. I still have a bunch of the to build

mikelosaurus said:
That would mean that the B5 game license is going to be renewed after all?
No, more likely they can release the non-canon ships such as the Gaim and re-brand them, because they do not come under the copyright of WB. Maybe also the Mongoose-created ships such as Adira, Ka'Bin'Tak, WS Gunship. Possibly even the AoG created non-canon ships which is pretty much everything which is not seen on-screen?

Burger said:
Possibly even the AoG created non-canon ships which is pretty much everything which is not seen on-screen?

Hope so, beceause that includes the Gaim fighters, originally AOG Cascor

I think all the AOG designs were treated as canon, whether on-screen or not, so I doubt you'll see any of them. I'd agree that it's most likely that it'll be the Mongoose-designed Gaim (under a new name ?) that will be re-released, if any.

Iain McGhee said:
I think all the AOG designs were treated as canon
By JMS, yes.

But could Warner Brothers claim copyright over the models if they were re-named and put into a different universe? WB never owned the copyright on the new models, just like they don't own the copyright on Mongoose's Gaim fleet. The model designs were not licensed from WB to AoG; they were created by AoG, and bought by Mongoose.

Whether they would fit in with Mongoose's new universe, or would be marketable, I don't know. But AFAIK they should be legally able to sell them... but I am not a lawyer ;)

I am no lawyer either, but I seem to remember a written stament (presumably based on a contractual clause), in the AOG, B5 wars books which seemed to me to indicate that WB automatically owned copyrite on all new additions to the B5 universe whether shown in the series or not and whether first orginating from a third party.

At the end of the day we will need to wait and see.

mollari_uk said:
How do AOG still sell their ships? Surely they don't pay the licence for a dead game?

As I understand it, they can still sell any old stock they have left but aren't allowed to cast any more. Same reason IWM can continue to sell their B5 models.

According to AoG's website.

Hello, you've found AOG's old ordering system! AOG went out of business in late 2002 and is no longer producing products, but there are still some items left over from distributor buyouts. These items are being sold by private individuals, not AOG itself, which is closed.

A cunning disclaimer which takes no account of the fact that you're reading it on a web page titled "Agents of Gaming: Order AOG Products Online!", and that the contact e-mail address is "agent1 # agentsofgaming.com". ("@" replaced by "#" in case auto-spammers are looking at this page.) I imagine that, were WB's lawyers to decide to take an interest, they'd find a way to prove that the "private individuals" are effectively Agents of Gaming. :twisted:

I agree with Iain - AoG and IWM are probably allowed to sell what was made under licence when the licence was still active, but are not allowed to make and sell anything beyond that. Presumably Mongoose is allowed to continue publishing B5 material in S&P because it's not making any money from that material.

As for the contractual clause that WB owns copyright on all new B5 material generated by a third party, maybe AoG's licence contract included that clause and Mongoose's didn't. Or maybe Mongoose asked WB, who decided to be reasonable and allow the ships formerly known as Gaim to be made under a new name because they were never endorsed as canon as B5 Wars was, aren't really B5 material, and won't infringe B5 copyright.

Speculation over speculations :)

Unless someboy of Mongoose tells us something new , what could take a while ;) when you know Mongoose , the speculation wheel turns and turns until we all get sick :oops:

mollari_uk said:
How do AOG still sell their ships? Surely they don't pay the licence for a dead game?

Its their remaining stock, they had huge stockpiles of ships left over when they went belly up so they are still selling them for an attempt to regain some profit. You'll notice that many things are sold out (like all of the box sets and a few of the fleet action ships/fighters).

AdrianH said:
A cunning disclaimer which takes no account of the fact that you're reading it on a web page titled "Agents of Gaming: Order AOG Products Online!", and that the contact e-mail address is "agent1 # agentsofgaming.com". ("@" replaced by "#" in case auto-spammers are looking at this page.) I imagine that, were WB's lawyers to decide to take an interest, they'd find a way to prove that the "private individuals" are effectively Agents of Gaming. :twisted:

aog no longer exists, only one person is selling the old stock... and if i remember right he is/was working for mgp.

Back