Is there any need for a crew score?

Is there any need for a crew score?

• Yes. I like tracking damage and crew.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It is just time consuming. Two damage scores!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaverman said:
Burger said:
I don't like the way 1 damage point, always means 1 crew member dies (except crits of course, and bulkhead hits with double/triple damage). But I can't think of a better (ie. more realistic but just as simple) way to do it.

Its not really one for one burger, a Sharlin is'nt crewed by just 48 (a guess, not accurate) Minbari
Ohh yes, good point, I forgot one Minbari is worth 3 of any other race ;)

Burger said:
Reaverman said:
Burger said:
I don't like the way 1 damage point, always means 1 crew member dies (except crits of course, and bulkhead hits with double/triple damage). But I can't think of a better (ie. more realistic but just as simple) way to do it.

Its not really one for one burger, a Sharlin is'nt crewed by just 48 (a guess, not accurate) Minbari
Ohh yes, good point, I forgot one Minbari is worth 3 of any other race ;)

Dunno about that equation, since there are never any Minbari left at the end of our battles burger :p

Reaverman said:
Dunno about that equation, since there are never any Minbari left at the end of our battles burger :p
Ha. 1 EA victory and all the previous losses are forgotten about, and I "never" win eh? ;)

Burger said:
Reaverman said:
Ha. 1 EA victory and all the previous losses are forgotten about, and I "never" win eh? ;)

You only played me twice, with an EA fleet...50% success will do me thank you.

Saying that, I've won you with EA, Narn, and Minbari :p

Chernobyl said:
80 million tons? how do you arrive at that number, it sounds very high...
Sounds about right to me (taking that Babylon 5 itself is ridiculously underweight at 2.5 million tonnes, perhaps by two orders of magnitude). Even if you take the shell alone that's 1700m x 400m x 1m (rough figures) of alloy in the hull. Assuming a "typical" density of 5g per cubic centimetre you still end up with a mass of 3.4 million tonnes...and that's for the outer structure only.

(calculations assume 1700m long, 100m wide and 1m thick)

Greg Smith said:
True, but once we have something new, we don't usually want to go back to the way things were before. Afterall, who would want to go back to TV before VCRs? You would miss your favourite show if you went out, there were only three channels and they were only on in the evening.

Showing your age there Greg! :lol:

Chern, I got to the 80 million ton figure by starting with the length of the thing, 1700m, and fudging backwards with the old Traveller design system; they started with volume and worked length from there, I did it the other way. Basically, the volume of a ship is equal to the volume of a sphere whose radius is the length of the ship divided by a factor for configuration- 1.75 for slab, 2.5 for wedge, etc.
I called the Omega a needle configuration- odd with the rotating bit, I know- factor 3.5, which brought it out at around fifty- seven million cubic metres. That much is calculation. The I simply guessed at the density of the ship, picking a figure of 1.4 tons/m3- enough heavy machinery, hardened hull, etc, to make the ship 1.4 times as dense as water (I don't think I actually need to explain this bit to you, Chern, this is just showing my working)- which made the eighty million figure for the actual mass.
That is big, but EA ships do look like fairly hefty pieces of kit. I don't think I'd peg anyone else's ships that high, maybe Minbari at 0.8 or even 0.7, Centauri around .8 or .85, Narn maybe 1.2 or 1.3. This is just a fudge, estimating overall roughness of construction, and may be wildly out, but it seemed a reasonable estimate at the time.

You know what. I've changed my mind. Lets lose Crew score, that way my White Stars don't have that weakness to them. Without a crew to worry about, I can take some hits, and come back fully repaired a few turns later. As it stands now, I'll still have to worry about crew damage causing my ships to become dead in space as no one is piloting them.

Down with Crew scores, long live the ISA and near indestructible White Stars. Oh, the Shadow Omega would also benefit from losing crew scores, as its self-repair would also effectively keep it damn hard to kill.

Benjamen the Wolf said:
You know what. I've changed my mind. Lets lose Crew score, that way my White Stars don't have that weakness to them. Without a crew to worry about, I can take some hits, and come back fully repaired a few turns later. As it stands now, I'll still have to worry about crew damage causing my ships to become dead in space as no one is piloting them.

Down with Crew scores, long live the ISA and near indestructible White Stars. Oh, the Shadow Omega would also benefit from losing crew scores, as its self-repair would also effectively keep it damn hard to kill.

Changing the rules to suit the fact that your ship has low crew level is a bit weak, I play Narn and those fleets have a lot of flaws (like loads of weak weapons). But you dont here me moaning, I jut have to accept the fact and play the fleet to its strengths

Reaverman said:
Benjamen the Wolf said:

Changing the rules to suit the fact that your ship has low crew level is a bit week, I play Narn and those fleets have a lot of flaws (like loads of weaj weapons). But you dont here me moaning, I jut have to accept the fact and play the fleet to its strengths

I believe it's called sarcasm Reaverman.....

emperorpenguin said:
Reaverman said:
Benjamen the Wolf said:

Changing the rules to suit the fact that your ship has low crew level is a bit week, I play Narn and those fleets have a lot of flaws (like loads of weaj weapons). But you dont here me moaning, I jut have to accept the fact and play the fleet to its strengths

I believe it's called sarcasm Reaverman.....

I know dude, I was more sort of reiterating the sentiment :wink:

Back