Is the game or the name problematic?

SteveMND said:
Once we had a very conservative Holy Roller type around who thought all RPGs were tools of the devil and that they encourage people to learn the dark arts, etc.

Heh. One of the most enjoyable D&D campaigns I ever played in back in college was run by a Baptist minister. :)

I've ran into a couple of men of thwe cloth who considering gaming a good scocial activity as it gave people something to do with little requirements. A gaming group can also be used to help illustate moral points by showing the consequences of certain actions without the palyers actually suffering in real life.

Gaming is no more evil that watching a movie.

Still, I doubt that the Minsiter's group had a lot of PC assasssins, diabolists, anit-palidins and necromancers.

Careful there. There are those religious groups who consider ANY movie they do not produce to be actions of Satan, and that thinking for yourseld is immoral. Of course they are the ones who wind up causing all sorts of problems and having kids that are really messed up. :twisted:

atgxtg said:
RMS said:
The thing about HQ is that it can be run that way and it can also be run every bit as grim and gritty as RQ. There's a lot of GM/player contract issues that need to be addressed as to how HQ will actually be run, but it can actually do either. RQ does it by default with more system detail.

Hah. I mentioned HQ as a note to you that if I prefered HQ to MRQ I gave you an insight into my point of view. Didn't mean to touch off the legendary HQ/RQ debate.

You didn't start a debate IMO. I was just noting that I think HQ can do gritty if the group decides to run it that way. Since everything is up to interpretation, the GM (with player's on the same page) can run it as very gritty.

In regard to point #1, I think the level of abstration used in HQ tests is so great that it takes the feel of what your are doing out of the contest. THat is sort of a danger for a univeral resolution system. In HQ, where on nbot I was in a combat conteats against a troll or a drinking contest, it felt the same.

Correct. That's the strength and weakness of HQ. It has no flavor of its own. The flavor all comes from the GM and players in that game. I'd argue that RQ has much more of this than most "standard" RPGs. That's the part about fading into the background that so many of us like about RQ and other BRP games. It just has a lot more inherent flavor than HQ. This makes it less flexible, but requires less effort from the players to get that same feel.

As far as to the low start in HQ. I think that has to do with the nature of epic heroes. Part of the hero mmonomyth is their stating from humble begining and journeying to greatness. It's all that early humdfrum stuff that gives the character depth and personality. By the time they get to hero status they have enough of a backdstory to be fully realized.

I never liked the whole "leveling up" attitude in most games that start PCs as weak characters and advances them. Part of my issue is that it does lead to players mainly being interested in how their character improves. Most of my issue is that I want to play characters like those in books and movies, and I've found that most of my players have prefered that too. I'm more interested in a character that is already experienced and a veteran of some note (not necessarily heroic yet) and develop from there.

towerwarlock said:
Careful there. There are those religious groups who consider ANY movie they do not produce to be actions of Satan, and that thinking for yourseld is immoral. Of course they are the ones who wind up causing all sorts of problems and having kids that are really messed up. :twisted:

Who the MPAA?

RMS said:
I never liked the whole "leveling up" attitude in most games that start PCs as weak characters and advances them. Part of my issue is that it does lead to players mainly being interested in how their character improves. Most of my issue is that I want to play characters like those in books and movies, and I've found that most of my players have prefered that too. I'm more interested in a character that is already experienced and a veteran of some note (not necessarily heroic yet) and develop from there.

That can work, but you need the right sort of players for it. One of the problems i had when itroducting D&Ders to other RPGs is that the D&D ers ususally rolled some dice, and then began working on thier character's personality during play. A few months down the line, they had a develpoed character. When you go for "advanced" characters you nned the players to have very good characters concepts to pull it off. I saw that in an Amber campaign I ran. One guy was so into his character being a sort of super-ninina type, that he really didn't give his character much though beyond his "cool ninja" abilities. In the first adventure he got into a fight,, and was expecting to have to show what he could do, and was totaaly flabbergasted when his first shot ended the fight. The player actually underestimated his character's abilities. He was so focused on being able to kick butt in a D&D style fight that he didn't know what to do when he reached overkill.

atgxtg said:
In my neck of the woods, getting RQ players was tough. Still is. MOst people don't game. THose that do play D&D.

Same here. I have a lot of experience running RQ/Glorantha, but it's all really with two different gaming groups. It just so happens that both groups have been multi-year (3 and 7+) campaigns.

While I spend a lot of my online time with RPGs now. I've actually gone through long stretches of not playing them at all. That's what's happened in the past when I couldn't find anything I wanted to play. I just quit for several years, other than an annual session when I'd travel to visit friends/family.

I think the big difference is that if you like a guitar, no matter what style/model, and can get your hands on one, you can use it to play virtually any guitar part-inclduing riffs from new songs. You can even play in a style of your choosing.

I agree with you, but then I'm definitely not a collector or snob about it. Most of my instruments (and even several of my amps) are home built deals that aren't pretty, but sound and play great. I was just noting how our little "wars" are pretty minor on RPGs compared to those. (I still contend that much of it is the money involved. It makes people more defensive IMO.)

I didn't mean more loyal, just that expectations are differenrt. FOr example, now that we have the internet, it's seems prefectly acceptable to many people that every RPG has bugs and errata. Way back wen, there was no way tobe sure that the players would even know of the errata, so what was printed in the book is what you got. I blame that one on the computer game industry. THe tactic of using the consumers as a free group of debuggers.

You could be right. I really don't know. I've only bought two new RPGs in the last decade, or so. One is Heroquest which is fine. (I never looked at Hero Wars, but have heard horror stories about it.) The other is 4th ed. Talislanta which is excellent and I don't recall any issues in it, though I never have made it through the whole book.

Oh yeah. Without a doubt. I suspect that there was a lot of friction at Chaosium-especially with Greg. Glorantha caused a lot of problems since theyre was really only one person who could write it (Greg). This made Greg the fontain/bottleneck of the entire GLorantha line.

I recall an interview where he talked about a nasty divorce and it sounded like he just "checked out" for a while and didn't do much. Don't hold me to it though because I don't remember where or when I read that and I certainly have no inside info.

THe game doesn't feel at alllike RQ to me. Perhaps beause whenI read through the rules pretty much everything that I liked about RQ is gone. The things that I used touse as examples of what you can do with RQ don't apply anymore. Plus, I don't think the game has succeded in whatit set out to do as far a streamlineing goes.

I'm curious about what things you see missing now? This may not be the right thread for it, or maybe we're so far off topic it doesn't matter anymore... I suppose you could PM or email me if you don't want to drag it out in the open.

In RQ we had one die mechanic (the D100) with critical/speical and normal success. Now we have one menthod for combat, another for non-combat, a special rule for skills over 100%, and three different "offical" instrcution on how the game works.

I'm curious about this too. I really liked that critical/special/success/failure/fumble breakdown. It covered things very well. I think I actually interpreted this a bit different than written, but it wasn't too far. Rather than worrying about who rolled what number, I'd just compare level of success to determine anything opposed. A critical sneak got past anything other than a critical scan, for example. It worked easily. I even moved to a "special failure" for a while and liked it quite a lot. My understanding is that MRQ was attempting to get rid of the 5%, 20%, etc. calculations on the fly. I don't really understand why since these are dirt simple IMO, but apparently they're too much for some people.

I already mentioned missing the Resistence Table. The things I wanted to see done differently and look forward to seeing are the new spirit combat skills and sorcery. RQ2/3 spirit combat is dull, dull, dull, IMO. RQ4 tried to model it like combat, but what I don't recall the details. I liked the concept. (However, a lot of RQ4 got too fiddly IMO.) I wanted something for fatigue that was more RQ2 than RQ3, but I'm not sure if MRQ will be better or worse here.

I can't see how anyone say, "Wow that is so much easier and better than RQ" when they don't even know what the system is yet.

Agreed. In my case, I don't know how anything could be easier than RQ, really. It's a very simple system where common sense and the system mechanics almost always mesh. It's not perfect, just well done and easily tweakable. That last part is what I'm hoping MRQ will do. Matt has claimed that was a goal of the game, so we'll just have to see how it works.

Iamtim, I figured I'd find you here eventually. I'm guessing that you and Richard are hashing out differences over the rules at this point. :p

I have been lurking around here since this forum opened and I even playtested some of the material before it went to publication. I guess I know the history of RQ and the system; after all, RQII convinced me to stop playing D&D way back in '80. I played some RQIII but never felt the connection to Glorantha the way I did with the earlier rules.

After reading most of the new core rulebook, I'm neither impressed nor put-off. Overall, I do not see MRQ as an improvement over RQII, so I doubt I will play it. To me it is just a set of tweaks to RQII/III that serve to meet some players' preferences. I wish MRQ had retained an internally logical and consistent method for matching attributes against each other--that whole "giant vs. duck" Athletics roll thing is pretty weak.

However, I am looking forward to the new Glorantha material. I'm already thinking of all the fun things I can do to convert the Glorantha Book to Savage Worlds.

Briquelet said:
Iamtim, I figured I'd find you here eventually. I'm guessing that you and Richard are hashing out differences over the rules at this point.

BRIQ!

Dude, what's up?

I was surprised you weren't here from the moment I signed on. I figured your wyrd would be SO upon you with MRQ. :)

Actually, Rich and I both LOVE the new rules. We're already converting Domibia, and I'm starting a game with him, Tony, and a few people you haven't met. You're more than welcome to join if you want; e-mail me.

But that doesn't really answer my question, does it? I mean, we have accepted in our hobby -- whether it's right or wrong -- that first printings of any game are problematic. Look how popular C&C is; there was vitriol tossed about over that game's first printing of the PHB. Same with Conan, and many others. So some of the editing problems could be forgiven as "first printing blues", but I don't see that happening here.

There's so much, "RQ did it this way, MRQ does not," going around, especially on these boards. Lots of people are dismissing the game for the loss of attributeX5 rolls, or the resistance table, or overall HP, or any number of changes. Or their dismissing it because it falls short in their expectations of what the next RuneQuest should look and play like.

So I'm truly interested in how the game would have been received if it was called, I dunno, "SwordQuest: A generic RPG for Glorantha, Lankhmar, and other worlds." Something other than "RuneQuest".
Maybe it is a generational thing, but I find the use of the term "Problematic" to be over done. We live in a strange time where an Onlyfans account is empowering and a fictional picture is degrading. Having said that, your question regarding whether or not a different title would impact marketability is interesting. I suspect the publishers looked at other name option (pure speculation on my part) but decided changing the name would reduce any legacy value of the title.

Well, it is a thread from 2006. So the context of "problematic" has changed slightly in the last 17 years since the previous post in this thread...

Back