Ion Cannon in normal Space Combat

fruitbat1

Mongoose
Hi,

I thought I would have a crack at designing a Customs Cutter/Systems Defense Boat using the High Guard rules - all good so far, except I stuck an Ion Cannon Barbette on it and now I can't work out what it would do in normal (non-High Guard/fleet) combat, say if you shot it at a Pirate or smuggler.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

adzling said:
the rules for ion cannons are in high guard page 26

Yeah they say -1 DM Defense rolls & Attack rolls on the next round per 50pts damage, so on average an Ion Cannon Barbette is going to give the target a permanent -1 if it hits - not exactly shutting the opponent down? (Unless the rules you are talking about didn't make it into the Fantasy Grounds version (happened before). Hence my question, are there other rules that I am unaware of?

NB I have a legit version just one that is for VTT - and it doesn't even have bloody page numbers so p26 is pretty meaningless sadly.

Regards.

ion weapons cause power loss which can disable ship systems

rules for this are on the page I quoted in High Guard

fruitbat1 said:
NB I have a legit version just one that is for VTT - and it doesn't even have bloody page numbers so p26 is pretty meaningless sadly.

The rules for ion cannons are present within FGU.

Search for "ion cannon" in the High Guard reference in FGU and it is at the bottom of the page on the first item that turns up ("Barbettes")

Were you aware that all the content of the rules books in FGU can be found by clicking on "Library" in the bottom right?

Ion weapons would need to be able to fry circuits, to make it permanent, subject to repair and/or replacement, and there haven't been indications that happens.

adzling said:
fruitbat1 said:

The rules for ion cannons are present within FGU.

Search for "ion cannon" in the High Guard reference in FGU and it is at the bottom of the page on the first item that turns up ("Barbettes")

Were you aware that all the content of the rules books in FGU can be found by clicking on "Library" in the bottom right?

Yeah, I know about the Library - my comments relate to some rules gaps I have come across in CoC 7e.

Thanks though I spotted the normal para starting Ion but I completely missed the large grey box at the bottom of the page dealing with the new weapon trait! Just didn't scroll down far enough :)

It makes sense now.

Back