Into the Fire II Tournament - Can't Be Here?

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Then no to worry - we can bring you the results as they come in!

After the first round, the ISA are languishing suspiciously near the bottom (someone has brought Sheridan himself along!), but no one has yet truly distinguished themselves;

Lee Upton 3rd Age EA
Daniel Clark Centauri
Andy Watkins Centauri
Steve Wilson Centauri
Stuart Berrisford Narn
Jason Ford Dilgar
Hasim Hassan Centauri
Mark Alliban Minbari
Neil Hopkins Narn
Adam Powell Combined League
Richard Carr Combined League
Greg Smith 3rd Age EA
Nicholas Kummer Centauri
Mike Johnston Early Years EA
Mark Davies Vorlon
Laurie Neatherway Brakiri
Tristan Lomas Drakh
Paul Davies Dilgar
Peter Perry ISA
Michael Parkin Narn
David Rawlings ISA
Nick Robinson Narn
Roy Oliver Shadows
Greg Payne Early Years EA

No one has brought along a ten Sagittarius fleet, though one fleet does have six!

Second round results are in. . .

Daniel Clark Centauri
Hasim Hassan Centauri
Stuart Berrisford Narn
Steve Wilson Centauri
Neil Hopkins Narn
Richard Carr Combined League
Andy Watkins Centauri
Mike Johnston Early Years EA
Mark Davies Vorlon
Tristan Lomas Drakh
Lee Upton 3rd Age EA
Jason Ford Dilgar
Roy Oliver Shadows
Adam Powell Combined League
Greg Smith 3rd Age EA
Peter Perry ISA
David Rawlings ISA
Mark Alliban Minbari
Nicholas Kummer Centauri
Laurie Neatherway Brakiri
Michael Parkin Narn
Nick Robinson Narn
Paul Davies Dilgar
Greg Payne Early Years EA

I used a very standard "Beam Happy" Centauri fleet.

1 X Tertius
2 X Prefect
1 X Vorchat
2 X Corvans

The Prefects hull 6 made quite a difference.
The Tertius's deadly secondary battery only fired once in the last of 4 games, at no other time getting close enough.

Vorchat was more fun than I expected.

Corvans were quite useful.

My first ever tournament, I found it very enjoyable, everyone I saw was there to have fun rather than win at any cost. Despite the fact everyone was a pleasure to meet, I would like to make special mention of Tank and his Eddy Izzard impersonations, really made the day for me....

I think I came 9th out of 24 at the end of the day. Katadders Centari fleet won, his fleet was almost identical to me but he had a Dargan instead of one of the prefects (I believe he wanted the extra fighters). I played and lost to Katadder, he's good, very good.

Cpt Kremmen
PS My legs REALLY hurt!!!!!

As one of the other Centauri players I can tell you I took...

Hash's Fleet
Prefect x 2 - Yah!
Altarian x 2 - For all round firepower, sentris and Hull 6! Raziks instead of Sentri
Maximus x 2 - Good defensive ship

Only two ships with beam weapons but Hull 6 makes for a very tough fleet, I won 3 games and lost 1 - losing to...another Centauri player! (djclark).

As I recall his fleet...(correct me if I'm wrong Dan)

djclark's fleet:
Prefect x 4 - Seems to be a popular choice eh?
Corvan x 3 - with raziks instead of sentri

His fleet in turn suffered a defeat by....another Centauri fleet!

The other fleet was (I think):

Tertius
Prefect
Dargan
+ a skirmish ship - Dargan?
+ 2 Corvans?

As far as I know that fleet won the tourney, Triggy came second, third place was tied for points between three players including myself, djclark and I don't recall the other (don't think it was Centauri.) Dan took the third place award for the highest admiralship score.

The prefect was certainly a common sight though!

yep my fleet was victorius in the end beating the 4 prefect fleet i had:

tertius, prefect, dargan, vorchat, 2 corvans

the only time the vorchat fired it speed 0, no SA crit one of the prefects, besides that it was just there to die it seems.

was very good day and good fun was had. think LBH (double jump point bombing a corvan was evil) dont feel so bad losing his 1st game to me when i went on to win :)

best thing besides the games and the people was getting hold of armageddon, my whitestar carrier, whitestar fighters and adira :)

look forward to meeting you all again at the next open day/tourney

I did ok in the end for my first four games ever :)

The results of my games were -

Game one VS Vree and Abbai - Lost 7-13

Game two VS Vorlons - lost 3-17

Game three VS Centauri - won 13-7

Game four vs Mongoose Nick's Narn - won 17-3

My fleet was -

Kaliva Lance Cruiser (Triple damage ROCKS) - 1 Battle point

2 Ikorta (for troops but never got to use 'em... precise is cool though) - 2 Skirtmish

4 Brikorta (two flights of decents fighters plus cheap good beam weapons!!)

So all in all a great day and gratz to all!

12th. I bravely chose an entirely different fleet from the one I won with last year - EA instead of ISA. I did okay against the Drakh, very poorly against the interceptor heavy league, beat LBHs Whitestars and struggled to kill Vorlons.

I did win the quiz and so have a third ACTA trophy to put on my mantlepeice. :D

On the whole I had a great day and played some fun games. My game against LBH was huge fun. He named his Whitestars after Star Wars characters and everyone knows Biggs dies in the first film and it did indeed die in the first round. :) LBHs frustration at rolling 1s with his neutron lasers was funny. Also he managed to fail a skindancing roll (delibetrately) but didn't manage to kill my ship he targeted! :lol:

I really enjoyed the event (even after coming 6th), thank you Mr Sprange for an excellent event. Nice seeing everyone, and putting more faces to names

Lets see, my fleet (Early Era EA) consisted of:

2 x Novas, load out of furies
2 x Sagittarius, loaded with Flash, stabdard & hvy missiles
4 x Artemis Rail frigates

Came 17th, not too bad considering that dice games hate me :lol:

Adams fleet (LONAW):

1 x Kaliva (Brakiri)
2 x Vaarl (Vree)
4 x Strikehawks (Drazi - Push the button , push it now!!!!)
2 x Star snake wings

Came 14th, didnt see his dice rolling just him coming over to claim our arc template.

Was a fun day, nice to meet new people and be killed by them.

Played Dilgar , won 2 lost 2 and came 11th :)
Fleet was

4 x Targrath
1 x Omelos
2 x Jashakar

All the games were great fun and was all round a fun day, hope to see everyone at the next tourney :D

Greg Smith said:
On the whole I had a great day and played some fun games. My game against LBH was huge fun. He named his Whitestars after Star Wars characters and everyone knows Biggs dies in the first film and it did indeed die in the first round. :) LBHs frustration at rolling 1s with his neutron lasers was funny. Also he managed to fail a skindancing roll (delibetrately) but didn't manage to kill my ship he targeted! :lol:

my 1st game was versus LBH and biggs was actually the only one to survive that one.

Just thought it was interesting that there was the observation of a lot of Centauri given the return to a lot of SFoS stats...

intofireII.jpg

As you can see the Centauri were certainly the most common choice although not by much...it would be interesting (well for me anyway) to look at the most common ship choices too (although I can tell you know that the Prefect is a very popular choice for Centauri players).

In my experience (not extensive!) the main changes to fleet selections I feel that the 'armageddon tourney' has indicated (course will change as people become more comfortable) may become likely are:

1. More Centauri! Especially Prefects...
2. Less Minbari - don't think stealth is nearly as attractive as it once was...
3. More combined league fleets

There are other changes (less Shadows - although there was a 5 scout fleet taken) and interestingly the EA players were evenly split between Early Era and Crusade Era but no-one took the "middle" list. Although I did see a few more fighters than usual, no fighter swarms as of yet...

Still very early days yet and I expect there will be a lot more experimental combinations to crop up as people get used to the new lists. I have been leafing through my copy of armageddon today, although I'm supposed to be working :( , and I'm actually quite impressed, definately a worthwhile purchase!

well even speaking to the other centauri players i think we all agreed the prefect needs to come down 1 AD on its beam, then you have the choice of speed/mobility with the centurion or the armour of a prefect, and as was shown prefects are no good once the enemy is behind you.

katadder said:
well even speaking to the other centauri players i think we all agreed the prefect needs to come down 1 AD on its beam, then you have the choice of speed/mobility with the centurion or the armour of a prefect, and as was shown prefects are no good once the enemy is behind you.

I agree with Katadder, I think the Prefect is the most broken ship in the centauri fleet. I think I will play with it in friendlies with -1AD on the beam. The 1/45 turn was a real killer to me though....

I never saw the shadow player, can anyone tell me how he did?

I know Stealth is downgraded a little but I am surprised at only one Minbari. Do people think Minbari would be a better option at 5 point battle? They really tend to have better high cost ships??

Cpt Kremmen

Back