Important Info on A Call to Arms: Star Fleet

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
It is clear to us that a full, worldwide launch of a game this popular is going to take a lot more stock than we can generate ourselves within a few weeks.

So...

We are going to supply everyone who pre-ordered from us, as fast as possible (fleet sets are already moving out). We will work with retailers who have fielded their own pre-orders.

If you have already ordered the fleet sets from us (all rulebooks and squadron sets have been shipped), you _will_ have them in your hands as soon as they are manufactured, so the wait will not be too long now.

However, as I said, it is now obvious that we would have trouble not only supplying stores around the world, but keeping them in stock too. To that end, we are talking to some third parties to help support us in the production of this line and, when our warehouse is full of fleet (and squadron!) sets ready to go, we will go with the full launch.

In the mean time, we will support everyone who has started playing the game, in every way - tournaments will still go ahead, rules questions will still be answered, and if you are after a few extra ships to expand your fleet, you will be able to pick those up as well.

At the end of the day, it is not fair to the distributors or the retailers to keep promising them miniatures for their customers when we have a backlog of pre-orders from individuals who trusted us to provide them with the miniatures for their games.

We have listened very carefully to the complaints by our customers regarding both the quantity of the Starline 2500 miniatures we can provide and the quality of those miniatures. We know that both the quantity and quality must be increased. You deserve that.

We have found that even with throwing more money, personnel, and equipment at the problem of getting quality minis out at a fast enough rate to fill orders from pre-orders, mail-orders, retailers, and wholesalers, we are not solving all of the issues or satisfying the demands of you, our customers. This will delay our expected relaunch date of mid-February. In the meantime, we will focus our efforts on fulfilling all of the existing pre-orders and support mail-order requests from both individual customers of Mongoose and ADB.

We have consulted with ADB, Inc. about this decision. Together we could not find a better solution. Neither company is happy with this situation, but we feel it is the best of a bad lot.

It has been a bumpier ride than anyone expected at the start of this joint venture. We deeply regret that some of our best customers have been adversely affected. We are going to fix the problems, but please bear with us and we will keep you informed as to our progress.

Finally, we have posted a full FAQ and errata for the rulebook, which can be found here;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/ctastarfleet/a-call-to-arms-star-fleet.html

eep, not the best news Matt. Hope you can get it sorted.

no doubt a tough decision, and whilst people will be somewhat miffed, at least you have been honest about it all.

Way to go guys, not only did you admit you had a problem, your actually addressing it and taking needed steps to fix it.

We, as supporters, are grateful for this, and the addition of an easy to find Errata link!

John

Where does all this leave the tournament which was delayed until March?

It appears unlikely that many of us will have models to use on the day. Will it go ahead or be delayed. I'd like to know before lining Michael O'Leary's pockets.....

So what does this mean for the rulebook I ordered through my FLGS in November? The rulebook which the distributors apparently aren't sending my FLGS because your "street date" (Feb 17th?) for the miniatures hasn't come up yet? This is what my FLGS owner told me a week or two ago, his distributors aren't sending the book out because the revised Mongoose street-date for the miniatures.

I just no longer have the energy or motivation for this. Not angry, just disappointed. I don't care whose fault it is anymore or how sorry anyone is. If it is not here next week (the "release date"), I'm getting a refund. Time to move on, no one else at the store is still interested now, so I wouldn't have anyone to play with anyways.

The current situation must be hard for both Mongoose and ADB and I am sure you are trying to remedy the situation as quickly as possible – as an Engineer I personally know how difficult it can be to pull a project back on track when thing go wrong.

Many in the forums will continue to support both the game and the companies as this game evolves and develops.

I am looking forward to see how ACTA:SF develops in the future and you have my support going forward.

Thank's for the clarification on what the current state of affairs is Matt, it's very much appreciated.

As you state the quality of the miniatures has been a concern especialy in the earlier run of the miniatures. How do things stand at the moment quality wise with the squadron box's? have the majority of issues been resolved?

Cheers

GalagaGalaxian said:
So what does this mean for the rulebook I ordered through my FLGS in November? The rulebook which the distributors apparently aren't sending my FLGS because your "street date" (Feb 17th?) for the miniatures hasn't come up yet? This is what my FLGS owner told me a week or two ago, his distributors aren't sending the book out because the revised Mongoose street-date for the miniatures.

Ask your store to get in touch with us, or let us know who your store is - we will get your rulebook to you!

And the good news is the game is so popular they didn't anticipate such a huge demand during it's premier! I really do hope everyone gets their books and minis so you get playing!

I think the critical thing is to get the books out the door and get ADB to send Mongoose a container load of the Mega Hex ship counter sets so people can start playing the game now and look forward to the ships later on.

The game is very playable with counters. Once people are playing it and having fun the lack of ships is less important. A nice felt mat covered in wonderful miniatures is great for demos but at home or down the gaming club counters are just as much fun.

Treat it almost like a counter game that happens to come with ships then later on it can be advertised as a miniatures game that can also be played with counters.

Keep people happy and playing. :lol:

Been reading some disturbing things about the relaunch not being until summer. Is this true and if so will you continue to manufacture the other races that were due out and have everything in this first set available with the relaunch.

archon96 said:
Been reading some disturbing things about the relaunch not being until summer. Is this true and if so will you continue to manufacture the other races that were due out and have everything in this first set available with the relaunch.

Did you read the first post?

I read a comment on the ADB BBS that you were considering moving the 2500 line to metal. PLEASE do not do that. Keep the line resin, even if it means some delays. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'll wait.

Heck, I'm waiting now. A little more waiting isn't going to kill me.

Jeff Cope said:
I read a comment on the ADB BBS that you were considering moving the 2500 line to metal. PLEASE do not do that. Keep the line resin, even if it means some delays.

I as well am willing to wait for resin ships. I DON'T want metal ships; if I was willing to have metal ships I would have bought the ADB Starline 2400 ships. I can also wait for resin ships of better quality.

***edit ***
Someone has educated me on the quality possible with metal minis, versus what is actually available (SL2400). I will amend my statement to neutral on metal minis, and if the quality of detail can be as good as or higher than the resin SL2500s I would consider the metal minis.

Resin ships in that scale will be heavy as hell, and cost more, and need pinning, and be a dropping hazard.

Without knowing more details about what the production problems are though, or who the new partners might be, or whether models will be in resin or 'restic', I'd hesitate to rule out metal.

My request also for the minis staying resin. Resin is lighter to carry around en masse and, I believe, less prone to bending / breaking.

Also, thanks Matt for condensing the latest news into a stickied thread.

I run a small toy company and have experience with plastics manufacturing. Shoot me an email at gears[at]dreamlandtoywork[dot]com and maybe I can help.

Back