Idea for Adventures

Arkobla Conn

Mongoose
Mongoose & Forum Members

What do you think about a book created by members of the forum (to include those associated directly with Mongoose if they wish) and produced by Mongoose?

We'd set a deadline, solicit ideas from the forum and vote on which ones should be included and then submit to Mongoose.

Mongoose would edit, provide binding, reserve the right to modify or delete based upon quality, etc.

Those who have their submissions selected will get a free book, otherwise profits of this book would go to Mongoose. Writers, editors & the forum would get credits.

The book would have a progression of adventures from 1st through 10th.

thoughts?

I think that would be a excellent idea, even tho the Rouge in my heart is screaming " THEY GET ALL THE PROFITS!!!! :x :( " But the GM in me thinks it would be a great Idea, done by guys who love the game and it would have so many different flavors do to the different backgrounds, locations, and people writing these...

When do we start?

I think it would be easier (and a lot more feasible) if everyone submitted adventures/NPCs/monsters etc. to one person who combined it all into a .pdf netbook that was given away for free.

See www.againsttheshadow.org and www.fraternityofshadows.com for Midnight and Ravenloft netbooks respectively. In fact, the guys doing these have pretty much single handedly kept the lines alive and worth talking about :)

The Ravenloft site also has a quarterly magazine called "Quoth The Raven" which has stories inspired by Ravenloft, adventures etc. by all the fans. Basically a magazine style .pdf specifically for Ravenloft. I think thats the best way to go, im sure there could be a "Hyborian Monthly" or whatever for Conan :)

:the sound of wings flapping:

Thought I heard my name.

I seem to already be participating- I'm already writing a Conan version of a Call of Cthulhu tome, translating stats for Deep Ones and writing alternate Sorcery rules for people on this site.

Hmmm....I guess the question is- what do we get out of it? 8) If it is in fact published by Mongoose [of which I have no idea if any one 'in charge' would go for this idea], then I have put time into a project that I see nothing for. Now, call me greedy, but if someone gets money for my work, I expect to see something for it.

On the other hand, I create worlds and rules and things for people to have fun with for free normally. A more feasible situation may be to have a web-site to post these on and then do so. I am already doing this on another site for my own RPG group. In fact, I'd offer the name of my weekly posts for the name of the new site- 'The Hyborian Gazette' or the name of my campaign- 'The Hyborian Chronicles'. If it is shareware, I would post. After all if there's no money involved, there's less possibility that feeling get hurt and I don't feel like I am in a literary slave market. 8)

Raven

Ultimately, what we get is a collection of adventures...which is what we are asking for, but not getting...

(and the book free...and credits...and maybe the chance to write more adventures for profit...)

Great just what I need, more rules lawyer PCs telling me they have the download too, and im not running the game right, or why is the price of leather so much higher, than whats printed.... LOL J/k

Arkobla Conn said:
Ultimately, what we get is a collection of adventures...which is what we are asking for, but not getting...

(and the book free...and credits...and maybe the chance to write more adventures for profit...)

One of the primary reasons that I've never submitted anything for publication is that I hear too many horror stories about how publishers screw over their writers every chance they get. Now call me old and cynical, but I just can't stop looking for the 'catch'. I can't believe in human altruism- I've never seen it.

I have no problem sending people information on roleplaying material I have created for my own use as a public service. [And if anyone is looking for the catch to this, it's that I am trying to inspire people who might inspire me in the future] But once money enters the equasion, 'the serpent rears its head in Eden' to paraphrase REH. Contracts, 'under the table' agreements, everyone wanting a percentage, ego battles, competition for limited space, copyright issues, etc. It becomes more hassle than fun.

Which is why I'd support a 'shareware' version- a monthly or bi-monthly download to people's email with submitted material for free. If Mongoose wanted to lend support to it in the interest of supporting the fans, more the better- if they could stop themselves from wanting to charge money for it. 8) If they don't want to support it, well at least no one would be suing anyone [hopefully]. I am already creating for fun for the people of the 'Conan and Cthulhu' thread [all three 8)] and I have promised a Sorcery v1.1 'patch' for those who want to expand their sorcery system.

And as for DasClay's complaint, I think rules should be presented as a 'variant'- an option that a GM/player can discard/accept as they will. If you don't like it, you shouldn't feel pressured to do it.

Raven. sadder and wiser in the ways of men

I dont mean to burst anyones bubble, but if you want to do something like this, it would have to be a free .pdf netbook.

Not only would Mongoose have to clear it with the Conan licensors, they would have to edit, typset, find new artwork, a new cover and all the other things that go into a book. Not to mention making sure everyone gets their work in and ready by the due date... Why would they do that when they have the writers there already, like Vincent etc. who are proven and have good track records?

It would be a huge effort on Mongooses part to get it up and running for one book... I am not saying a book of adventures is a bad idea, just that this way of doing it is not really too feasible unless its a fan created .pdf netbook...

:)

spawn said:
this way of doing it is not really too feasible unless its a fan created .pdf netbook...

I agree completely. You could also include Brass Jester's generators (adventure idea, between game goings-on, family tree).

It would also give us a template and precedence for further netbooks. I don't have the know how to get the ball rolling, but I would love to contribute.

Kristos Voskrese,
Raphael

I know why they would doit....
Because Its Free!!! not having to pay there writers to come up with ideas saves them money... yeah they would have to do all the other stuff, the bindings, artwork, editing etc.... but I would do it more so in a contest format, like the top 5 get there adventures published in a softcover book or something

DO IT!!!

I like both ideas suggested. Dawn Forge and Eberron are both profitable games that came as a result of gamers submitting their ideas to publishing companies. That alone might be incentive for Mongoose to pursue such an idea.

I am also a huge Ravenloft fan, and an adamant follower of the Fraternity of Shadows. I like the net book idea.

I am thoroughly impressed with Vincent’s work, and am a big fan. But I have also seen some glimmers of brilliance and creativity from people who post on this forum that I have a very limited way to tap into. Either of these ideas would allow for that, and I would support both.

spawn said:
I think it would be easier (and a lot more feasible) if everyone submitted adventures/NPCs/monsters etc. to one person who combined it all into a .pdf netbook that was given away for free.

My website has always been open for people who want to contribute something, whether it's a complete adventure or just a new spell, monster, feat, or alternative class.

You type it up (using your favorite word processor or whatever), and I will spellcheck, edit, and lay it out. I generally think HTML is the most useful format, but in some cases (like adventures) PDF's may be the way to go.

- thulsa

Just wanted to give Thusa, a big thanks, cause Ive used information found on his site in past games, both D&D and Conan, and found it really useful.... As a matter of facts when I first started looking into getting the Conan books, Thusla website was one of a few that was out there dealing with Conan, and the D20 Conan by mongoose

If Thulsa wants to post adventure ideas on his site, and we want to post them, I don't see the problem. [Just keep you website address on your .sig for ease of access though, Thulsa 8)] Why involve Mongoose? They have enough issues with trying to write sourcebooks fast enough to keep their customer satisfied. 8)

P.S. Thulsa, interested in another Defensive strike variant [Final Strike, already posted], Conan Sorcery verison 1.1, Deep Ones translated to Conan and the Lovecraftian Hyperborean tome The Liber Eibonus in Conan parlance? I am already writing them up anyway for people on the post and my players.

Plus I'll throw in my adventure synopsis when I have the time to write them up. I even have a few NPCs other may hind useful already written up for my players. 8)

Raven, who has serious hobbies

Raven Blackwell said:
P.S. Thulsa, interested in another Defensive strike variant [Final Strike, already posted], Conan Sorcery verison 1.1, Deep Ones translated to Conan and the Lovecraftian Hyperborean tome The Liber Eibonus in Conan parlance? I am already writing them up anyway for people on the post and my players.

Plus I'll throw in my adventure synopsis when I have the time to write them up. I even have a few NPCs other may hind useful already written up for my players. 8)

Of course. Bring it on :)

You can find my mail address here: http://hyboria.xoth.net/about.htm

- thulsa

Back