Hyperspace Travel Times + Jump gates

Mongoose Si

Mongoose
The Galactic Guide has some basic info on travelling times through real space, but I can't see any info on how long it takes to travel through hyperspace. Does anyone have any ideas on this, or do you tend to just make it up? I currently work on the rule of approximately 1 day per jump gate along the route.

Also, the Sol system has 2 jump gates. One is obviously near Earth, but does anyone know where the 2nd is. I'm guessing Mars but not 100% on this.

There is no jump gate at earth anymore. It was moved to the "transfer point at Io" sometime before, during or after the Earth Minbari war. There's a section about this in the "Earth Alliance sourcebook" if I'm not mistaken.

Chernobyl

Chernobyl said:
There is no jump gate at earth anymore. It was moved to the "transfer point at Io" sometime before, during or after the Earth Minbari war. There's a section about this in the "Earth Alliance sourcebook" if I'm not mistaken.

Chernobyl

Ah, forgot about IO. I'll check out EA book as well - thanks :)

Here is what jms had to say about the travel time from B5 to Io/Earth.

Travel times
Date: 22 Aug 1996 12:28:18 -0700
Richard Wakefield <100534.504@compuserve.com> asks:
> Or, is the *3 day* figure just to get to the "Earth Solar System"
> ? If yes, then what roughly *is* the length of time *in*
> Hyperspace (outside observers) ?

Three days is the time to the jumpgate off Io. Once you're
within our solar system, it takes another several days or more to reach
Earth itself. It's fairly common to keep your jump gate a bit removed
from your "core" planet so you have warning if any agressors come out
of it.

jms

Kizarvexis

"Three days is the time to the jumpgate off Io. "

Is that from the Babylon 5 station? if so, that would fit in with my 1 day per gate idea.

it was a tv show. Things travel "at the speed of plot"
of course we want consistency, but there you go. I was hoping for something like that in one of the books, but I have yet to find it.

Chern

Back