Hyperion Frustration

Hmmm...
You know, in my B5W battles we sometimes use a house rule that let's fighters do "called shots" at zero range without penalty. Meaning if they get close enough, they can aim for specific parts of the enemy ship - like their weapons turrets. (Inspired by the episode "The Fall of Night" when the B5 starfuries do just that against the Centauri Battlecruiser). It's really nice for fighters to blow off weapons, thrusters, etc. when you're trying to "take 'em alive" - that also would explain why the Raiders are seen putting so much emphasis on fighters.

Of course, it only works with combat systems that keep track of damage to individual systems, but maybe someone can think of something to match that idea for the current Mongoose system (and I really wish one of the developers of the coming new and improved Mongoose space combat system would sneak past this post and "borrow" the idea! :wink: )

Actually Shadowscout they had an optional rule in the main book talking about called shots by fighters for B5W at least. Ah well.

As far as the idea of targetting systems on ships in the RPG, I'd love to see that happen at some point in time. In fact if they do come up with something for that, I'd love to write the article in S&P about it.

ShadowScout said:
Hmmm...
You know, in my B5W battles we sometimes use a house rule that let's fighters do "called shots" at zero range without penalty. Meaning if they get close enough, they can aim for specific parts of the enemy ship - like their weapons turrets. (Inspired by the episode "The Fall of Night" when the B5 starfuries do just that against the Centauri Battlecruiser). It's really nice for fighters to blow off weapons, thrusters, etc. when you're trying to "take 'em alive" - that also would explain why the Raiders are seen putting so much emphasis on fighters.

Of course, it only works with combat systems that keep track of damage to individual systems, but maybe someone can think of something to match that idea for the current Mongoose system (and I really wish one of the developers of the coming new and improved Mongoose space combat system would sneak past this post and "borrow" the idea! :wink: )

My idea is this:

Each weapon system and other targetable systems have an amount of hit points equal to 10% of the total Hull. Thus, each of the Hyperions weapons has 50 hps. The DR for these items are at half of the ships normal DR...or possibly give it no DR at all.

Thus, if a ship has 10 weapon systems then pilots can strip away these items eventualy causing tons of problems for the cruiser...

I would rule, however, that a ship with 50 or less hp can not have targetable systems...

Thoughts?

Abraxus

Green X Lantern said:
Not to be nitpicky, Psyclone Jack, but I think that the rules state that the Starfury can only use one weapon system at a time, so it would only be (16)x2. You have to also remember that the Hyperion wouldn't be sitting there taking the hits. It would be firing back, much to the detriment of the attacking Starfuries.

True, due to the strain on the power system. And, reading my post again, I see I had some other mis-post information. Let me correct that. :)

PsycloneJack said:
So, A single SA23 Starfury, 4 attacks, 8 damage rolls, halves the DR of large ships? Hmm that means that lets say a Hyperion DR 18 would be 9. Now lets take the average of the damage of the weapons (16)x2,(8)x6. That means that one starfury in 3 seconds can dish out 20 points of damage. Now we apply that to a squad of 7. 140 average points in 3 seconds. 500hp means the Hyperion can last 12 seconds in combat, or 4 rounds.

Correction below:

A Single Starfury using your DR system would have, 6 attacks or 2 attacks (depending on weapons system) 6 damage rolls or 2 damage rolls. The Average Damage of Weapons, (16)x2 / (16-DR 9)x2 = 14 Total Damage Average. So instead of my quoted 20 points damage. It would be 14 in 3 seconds. Squad of 7 = 98. Again 4 rounds Hyperion is Dead.

Now, to argue the point of the Hyperion just be sitting there taking hits. No, No it wouldn't. But, if the fighters are deployed from a ship, or Base. The base would be firing weapons at the Hyperion as well. Killing it that much faster.

Either way, a standard 3 squad defense, against a hyperion, would be 21 fighters. If the Hyperion fired first, and did enough damage to the fighters to destroy them (more than average) we will subtract 5 fighters. (Not counting boresight weapons of the Hyperion as they would be useless against fighters. All fighters would be attacking from left and right sides for a bigger profile.) The 16 remaining fighters would deliver on average 224 points of damage in 3 seconds / 1 round.

The Hyperion fires again 5 more fighters destroyed. 11 left. Another 154 points of damage would be done to the Hyperion. End round 2, we are at the 6 second mark.

Hyperion Destroys another 5 fighters. 6 left. 84 points of damage delivered. A total of 462 points. 38 points away from the Hyperion's complete destruction. And we are at the 9 second Mark. Can someone on a ship get to the lifepods in 12 seconds? Provided they started running right when combat started?

Hopefully you can see my idea that fighters should not be able to destroy a capital ship this fast. Do some damage yes. Destroy it in 4 rounds. NO. Therefore the idea of Halving DR on large ships for fighters is a bit off in my opinion.

Just my two cents, and a math correction,
PsyJack

Back