Hyboria's Fiercest

Damien

Mongoose
Hey everyone,

I'm generally pretty wary of publishers' descriptions of their books, as they tend to over-emphasize its features. A single new skill use in the book becomes "new uses for skills" and three feats becomes "a slew of feats."

So with that said - I'm not sure what to think of Hyboria's Fiercest. It looks really interesting - but I'd like to know a little more before buying. Can anyone toss me some juicy bits, or an overall opinion of the stuff in it?

I only just recently (last month) picked up the Conan RPG core book and Aquilonia (both of which I've already written reviews for, and had those reviews posted up online), and I'm really pleased with the game. So pleased, in fact, that I've declined quite a few possible purchases (though Iron Heroes by Malhavoc Press is still on my list), so that I can divert more funds to Mongoose.
So if anyone has any other suggestions, outside of Hyboria's Fiercest and The Scrolls of Skelos (which I already plan to get) - then by all means, let me know.

And one more thing - any word on when Hyboria's Finest will be released?

Damien said:
So if anyone has any other suggestions, outside of Hyboria's Fiercest and The Scrolls of Skelos (which I already plan to get) - then by all means, let me know.

The Road of Kings is essential, perhaps even more so than Scrolls of Skelos.

Never before under one cover has there been so much good information about the Hyborian world, and it's exhaustive enough that one could run a complete Conan campaign with that sourcebook and any set of decent fantasy rules (presuming one made some tweaks to make the rules fit the setting).

That's really interesting. Considering the wealth of info on the age and geography in both the core book and Aquilonia - I would have figured the Road of Kings as sort of a "only get it if you want the complete set" sort of product.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

It really depends on what you need in your campaign. The Road of Kings is extremely useful, but some of it's contents are already expanded in other supplements (Across the Thunder River, Aquilonia, Messantia, Shadizar) and some are going to get their own books this year (Shem, Stygia). However, some regions are not likely to be covered in their own hardbacks (Border Kingdom, Brythunia, Iranistan and so on) and I think The Road of Kings is going to remain the best way to lay your hands on some info about these.

Frankly speaking, most Conan supplements are good enough to buy them, whether you need them at the moment or not. The boxed sets are an exception IMHO and you should buy them only if you really need them (either because you want to set your campaign in Shadizar or Messantia or you just want to have every Conan RPG book on your shelf).

That's good to know. I have noticed that the two I already have are quite high quality (though the binding seems a little unsteady), so I do want to grab all the books I can, eventually.

But now the Road of Kings does seem more appealing - as I was considering running a game in the Border Kingdom - so maybe I will pick it up for that.

Does anyone have anything to say about Hyboria's Fiercest? Does it have some really awesome feats, new weapons that might be of interest, really fantabulous combat maneuovres? Since my next game is going to be primarily Barbarian and Soldier characters - I'm looking into HB and hopefully Hyboria's Finest if it comes out soon enough.

Hyboria's Fiercest is worth the money- it has Feats, Manuevers, ideas for Borderers, Barbarians and Nomads from various cultures and most importantly- how the natural environment can hurt your players. 8) No new weapons as I recall though.

Raven

Oh.. environmental hazards. Now I know I have to get it. I've always wanted a tree to fall on someone.....and knock them into a big rock... which houses the spirit of a demon that swells lava up from the Under-earth.

:twisted:

I would second Raven's endorsement of Hyboria's Fiercest. It is an excellent book. In my opinion it has the perfect balance between fluff (all of the cultural information for playing characters of various races and the three classes) and crunch (feats, skill use, environmental considerations, and combat maneuvers).

I would say as far as books go, the order to get them in would be:
1)Road of Kings
2)Hyboria's Fiercest
3)Scrolls of Skelos
4)Pirate Isles (if you have any interest in doing a sea adventuring, which I do)
5)Aquilonia
6)Across Thunder River (although the 'Fall of the Westermarck' adventure is awesome IMHO)
7)Messenita
8)Shadizar

Speaking of adventures...

Do adventure-based products hold any real significance besides the actual adventure - like cultural information or really fantasmo fluff? I thought about picking up an adventure or two with my other purchases, but I don't run published adventures as a general rule (I have plenty of time to come up with my own), so I'm curious as to there being any good reason to toss 30-40 bucks on one of those things (Canadian cash - I just moved here recently, and I gotta say - Canadian money sucks).

Damien said:
Speaking of adventures...

Do adventure-based products hold any real significance besides the actual adventure - like cultural information or really fantasmo fluff? I thought about picking up an adventure or two with my other purchases, but I don't run published adventures as a general rule (I have plenty of time to come up with my own), so I'm curious as to there being any good reason to toss 30-40 bucks on one of those things (Canadian cash - I just moved here recently, and I gotta say - Canadian money sucks).

I guess as far as Conan products go, TotBK is the only true adventure. I think Road of Kings has as much fluff information on the Black Kingdoms that can be inferred by reading the adventure. So I would say you wouldn't need that.

A good piece of Across Thunder River contains the 'Fall of the Westermarck' adventure which is awesome, but the rest of the book has tons of cultural information about the Picts and the Westermarck. So I would if you are DMing in the area, that book would be worth it.

Other than that, the box sets have adventures, but I would only buy the box sets if you were intrigued by the cities (Messentia and Shadizar).

The pdf's you can download don't have anything of significance.

Does that help?

Hey Damien, welcome to the great white north !!!

I'll echo a frew others' opinion, Hyboria's Fiercest is very good. It gives those class's new options, and describes the archtype of each class per nation. Very nicely done.

SS

Does that help?

It does indeed. Thank ya, kindly.

I probably will (eventually) buy up the city boxed sets, just because they seem like a fun read, if nothing else. But they'll stay on the bottom of the list - and I'll only get to them if I run out of other Conan stuff to buy.

Hey Damien, welcome to the great white north !!!

Thanks!

Okay, so - Hyboria's Finest - any release date? I didn't see it on Mongoose's main site, and have only heard about it through one of my players.

The only thing I know is that, apparently, it's about Nobles and Soldiers. Which has me intrigued already.

i did a review of HF over on EN World's site and in the other HF thread on the forums here.

it's definately worth picking up IMO.

Okay, so - Hyboria's Finest - any release date? I didn't see it on Mongoose's main site, and have only heard about it through one of my players.

If you do a search on the main page for Conan, you'll find that Hyboria's Finest is due to be released in Oct/2005. I don't know how accurate this is, but it's probably a good estimate. Of course it could be wrong, after all they have August Hahn as the author... I was under the impression that Vincent had written it?

SS

I definately agree the website here usually offers little to NO real objective description of its content, atleast not on the Conan line. If I want to read the back of the book (which is what is usually reprinted here) I'll nip down to Forbidden Planet and read theirs. I expect the publisher to provide more info in the first place however.

October -- well at least that gives a frame of reference for when to expect the book. So long to wait. Oh well, I'll be waiting for that one, especially if I'm really pleased with HF when I nab it.

Thanks.

sanseveria said:
Of course it could be wrong, after all they have August Hahn as the author... I was under the impression that Vincent had written it?
SS

I did write it. Sometimes the placeholders they use have the wrong author in it due to cutting/pasting HTML code, I would guess.

Why is in the book no prestige class?
The Class combinations are good for beginning characters, but when you want to give an older charakter moore deep you need the prestige classes.
I like the Forst Runner from THUNDER RIVER, but I would like to have more options...

1. Largely because I don't like prestige classes.

2. I feel prestige classes should be regional/cultural, and I didn't want to fill the book up with a prestige class from every culture - the regional sourcebooks are the most appropriate place for that.

3. The variant rules for each multi-class usually suffice to create the feel of a prestige class. There is enough variety there to play many, many kinds of characters for many, many years.

4. I don't feel that to give a high-level character depth one requires a prestige class. Depth of character is easily achieved through other means.

5. Misfit Studios by Steve Trustrum (http://www.misfit-studios.com/)has several prestige classes that fit in with the game already if a prestige class is that necessary.

6. I was a fan of prestige classes when 3.0 DnD hit the scene, but I quickly grew bored of them. I am not a rules crunch person. I am a setting and atmosphere person. If the story, setting and atmosphere are right, then the game is fun and good - often in spite of the rules.

7. I am glad you like the forest runner. Does someone in your game play one? I have no idea if anyone ever plays any of the prestige classes. No one really talks about their characters on these boards; most of the discussion is about rules minutia.

1. OK, this is good reason...
2. Are there so many? I know only the forest Runner and the Professional from shadizar
3. I thought the meaning of the prestige class is to specialize the character on a higher level. The multi-class is more like the old Kits of AD&D like in the Complete Ranger`s Handbook.
My borderer is now 4th level and we got the book just a few days ago. Now it`s to late to make a dual-class like the skirmisher. Or work the variant rules even you don´t multiclass like it is shown in the table.
7. I would play the Forest Runner, but at this level I don`t have the prerequisites for it. And one in my group (known on this board here as phlip fry) is thinking about taking the Professional (assassin) class...
Heck, do you realy want to hear all the character?s stories. If someone strts with it it is like opening Pandora`s box.

Back