How long has SST got before everyone gets sick of waiting

So how long do you think SST will survive due to missed release dates and lack of new product?

• Dead by Christmas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Next Summer

• It will live forever

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
because release dates keep getting pushed back, less and less people will keep playing SST. I for one will get board using the same few figures in every game and I was looking forward to a Tanker to bulk up my Arachnid force, buts it's pushed back to August, which is September when it will really appear.

they are getting better and only the tanker bug has been knocked back this month so i don't reckon anyones gonna just give up on it. any new game or product has set backs, unforseen problems (like dirty customs). just be patient.

GO MONGOOSE

Which country has these dirty customs? Are they available to tourists? :wink:

I think a little delay on some items won't put too many people off as most people can't afford everything at once. I think SST's main problem is competing with other more established lines (mentioning no names) and trying to convince gamers to redirect their energies.

The good reviews and gaming awards help, as well as the look of the game. However a lot of people will consider investing in and learning a new game which at first glance seems very similar to one they already play (but with fewer options at the mo) to be uneccessary.

The thing that will help SST no end is if in two years they don't decide to revamp the rules and make half of their customer's miniatures collections inelligible. That's what finally did it for me with 'other' companies' games.

On a different note, I'm not put off at all by delays as I've only just started and catch up can be tricky if the release dates are met...

Let's keep in mind that Mongoose is openeing up a new production facility to help with these issues. Regardless of how well planned events are, there will always be unforseen issues that arise. It is regrettable that the tanker is pushe back, but we will live. I, for one, have a card template for use as a tanker. If anyone would like it in pdf form, send me a PM or an e-mail off list and I will be happy to share.

BS

We play multiple games so we dont have to wait for new stuff. We buy the new stuff when it comes out and we play some games. When we get bored we play something else and then go back when new stuff comes out.

Also keep in mind that there are still multiple relases for SST this month. There are the female CAP troopers, Heroes fo the MI, Brain Bug, CHAS and Firfries still due out. I would prefer a delay and get a quality product than to get a crap product fast. JMHO.

BS

Big deal, you have to wait a little longer for a one bug. Play the game with what has been released and look forward to what is coming. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. Mongoose has acheived so much in a short length of time, this game is going places so sit back and enjoy the ride.

Yes it is very anoying that some of the release dates are slipping, the thing that attracted me in the first place is still there.

The Great Models

I think they have only been a little over-ly ambitious with their release schedule. All the scheduled July releases were to push out one month.

It would be better if they announced 1 mi and 1 bug release a month. That way if they released more, everyone would be excited.

I find the topic and attitude of the poster somewhat offensive, to say the least. So what if one or two items gets delayed due to Mongoose tooling up thier company. There is still plenty to choose from, and it gives me more time to add new units or enlarge existing ones.

You are really jumping the gun, with this in my opinion. Time better spent collecting and painting your models.

ditto, old soldier....

this is why most games companies don't give out release schedules like this. they are darned if they do and darned if they don't.

This is the curse of a new game....not enough models immediatly to support the game.

Funny thing is that Warmachine had NOTHING for about a year yet they were the hottest thing going. Go figger....and no one has complained about thier delays and prodcution shifts.

GW gives nothing and receives the same greif Mongoose does. get off yer high horse. Is the lack of a tanker bug model really that big of a deal? I for one don't plan on buying one since i prefer small scale skirmishes myself.

Now shutup and roll the dice... :lol:

I seriously don't know what you're complainin' about. If you can't wait that long then just build a proxy. Look at some of the stuff Mr Evils done. Besides, at least Mongoose gives you a release schedule, unlike some companies.

The Old Soldier said:
I find the topic and attitude of the poster somewhat offensive, to say the least. So what if one or two items gets delayed due to Mongoose tooling up thier company. There is still plenty to choose from, and it gives me more time to add new units or enlarge existing ones.

You are really jumping the gun, with this in my opinion. Time better spent collecting and painting your models.

I have to agree, Mongoose is new to the miniatures arena and they've done very well with Starship Troopers. Yes, it is annoying that they keep pushing back dates, but I would rather have them push dates back and have quality miniatures rather than rush things into production.

One thing, however, that Mongoose can take away from all the release date delays is to perhaps lessen their very aggressive release schedule to a more realistic one, giving people a couple new kits a month rather than half a dozen of which several get pushed back.

Keep in mind the thing hurting the quality wargame Wargods is their lack of being able to keep release dates.

In addition, to actually have release dates, rather than just a general idea the miniature will be out this month, will help too. Again, this is where having a couple of solid, realistic, dates helps.

However, I applaud Mongoose for entering the miniatures wargame arena, which is primarily dominated by Games Workshop, with such a strong and ambitous product as Starship Troopers. SSTMG is perhaps the first pop-culture miniatures sci-fi wargame and has the potential to become a rival to GW.

One thing, however, that Mongoose can take away from all the release date delays is to perhaps lessen their very aggressive release schedule to a more realistic one, giving people a couple new kits a month rather than half a dozen of which several get pushed back.

I completely agree, as I was just doing a bit of grousing on TMP about the onslaught of releases.

Either way, good going Mongoose, and keep up the good work.

Should we sticky this though, and try to head off the annual 'SST is Doomed!' threads? :roll:

Hmm... The game was first released in April.

Since then we have had:

SST Basic Game (MI and Bugs)
Powersuit Trooper Box Set
Warrior Box Set
Ape Suit
Chickenhawk
Hoppers

This month, we get:
Brain Bug
CHAS
Female MI
Heroes of the Federation
Firefries

That is 10 (count 'em, TEN) releases in four months (April, May, June, July), not counting the initial release of the game. That is and average of 2-3 releases per month. So, my question is, what lack of releases are we talking about here? One model was pushed back a month, and now the sky is falling?

I don't get it.
Daggan

Daggan said:
That is 10 (count 'em, TEN) releases in four months (April, May, June, July), not counting the initial release of the game. That is and average of 2-3 releases per month. One model was pushed back a month, and now the sky is falling?

I don't get it.

@Daggan: The sky isn't falling, armageddon is not upon us, however they did push back the release of the Hopper bugs.

Mainly what I'm getting at is to make sure that Mongoose doesn't have a too agressive release schedule that they end up alwasy pushing something back. While only pushing back one or two a month doesn't really seem that big, it is the perception that they can't keep their release schedule, which may be far from the truth.

While they might have 2-3 per month, this month they had slated 6 new releases. While I'm not saying that Mongoose can't keep this release schedule, IMHO they would be better to pick firm dates, not just general montly release schedules, and stick with 'em. If this means lowering the number of releases down per month, then so be it.

I know myself, and a lot of other folks and game store managers who would love to know what day in the month they can tell their customers when to expect the next SSTMG release.

I know from experience that one store ended up getting their Hopper bugs a week after everybody else and their comment to me was that they didn't know the Hopper bugs where out that week! :shock:

Mongoose is doing good, but there is room for some improvement on their release scheduling and perhaps with Matt Keefe and Ian Barstow being the full time miniatures folks some of these little bumps will get ironed out. :D

I am not going to defend them or condemn them.

It's apparent to me that the Plastics production wasn't up to par, and they decided to change facilities. It's the first time they have attempted to manufacture miniatures on this scale, and unfortunately it's showing with the pushbacks. I look at it this way guys, I would rather have this sorted out now, then later. I have a nasty suspicion that the MI molds and the inability to get the hoppers and Apes to market on time is the reason they are pulling the plug on the Chinese facility and moving it to the US. Does it suck? Absolutely. If we reap the benefits by the end of the year for quality releases on time, sure, it is worth it.

As for arguments to others who are looking to get into the franchise? Store owners? I don't have one. You probably know as well as I do, that Mongoose is very well aware with what missing those schedules do to sales. It mucks them up badly. However, they aren't GW. Every other major miniature manufacturer has gone through this is one way or another. Mongoose has to grow up to deal with SST, and it appears with their participation in the conventions(Origins and upcoming Gencons) that they are growing up. The participation from the top brass at Mongoose at Origins was excellent. The prodcut support was there. The gamers were there in droves.

It stinks, but it's part of business. It's the plastics that are causing the problems and it appears they have a solution. If I have to wait another month to pick up the plastics, so be it.

It's disapointing to see the Mongoose Infantry reps receiving and posting pictures of their prerelease models and then hear that the general release date has been rolled back. Having a few prerelease models out there is great to stir up enthusiasm, but if they are released too far ahead of the general release date, it makes the disapointment of hearing the release date has been rolled back even greater and it makes it seem like Mongoose is catering to a small, elitist group of followers while disreguarding the rest of us (I know this isn't true, it just feels that way).

I agree with Jason's suggestion of making a less agressive, more realistic release schedule.

On a side note, since the tanker has been pushed back, can the tanker template be posted in the general forum for everyone to use?

Err...anyone else play/heard of any Palladiums RPG books???.....

For those who don't, theres never hardly a release of theirs thats ontime & their still doing well (shameless plug for the upcoming Rifts Movie! Hopefully toys & HOPEFULLY better than any Swars prequel film ).

I'm not too sure about Mongoose making games for 'dead' lines such as Babylon 5 & Starship Troopers as to how long the games will be in circulation but they must be doing something right if their upsizing production facilities even if that is down to each player wanting X amount of product (X =Loads!).
Less product out will seem less scary to new players & bring more people in, the SST RPG has just come out so things are looking great.

I got into the SST minisgame from a friend (he got into it from a demo) who lent me the CGI series, previously I thought very little of the film. I haven't touched a game that requires the minis to be painted for over 8 years (I can't paint)
Long Spaces between releases at least gives me sometime to practice my painting (heck I haven't even assembled any of my second box set yet although I've only had them a week) & to spread out my funds more easily.

Kupo

calIbors said:
Err...anyone else play/heard of any Palladiums RPG books???.....

For those who don't, theres never hardly a release of theirs thats ontime & their still doing well (shameless plug for the upcoming Rifts Movie! Hopefully toys & HOPEFULLY better than any Swars prequel film ).
Ooh, I loved those books when I was in high school! Great storyline. Too bad the system, well, sucked. Could you please provide a link to more info on the Rifts Movie?

Back