How Dreamtheft works

Could someone narrate an example of Dreamtheft in terms of mechanics? I am a bit confused by the Elric RPG book. Is there a specific skill called "Dreamtheft"? Is it simply POW based?

BE

Hi,

Dreamtheft is quite straightforward. It relies on two things: the dreamthief's dreamtheft skill (page 125, boxed text - Dreamtheft skill) which starts at the dreamthief's POW but can be increased like any other advanced skill; and the strength of the dream being stolen.

Every dream is rated according to its origin in the dream realms. Take a look at page 125 of EoM and you'll see that, for example, dreams of Marador, which concern old desires, are from the second dream realm. All dreams are rated in multiples of 1D4 (called Intensity), so dreams of Marador have 2D4 to rate their Intensity. The GM needs to calculate this strength smply by rolling these dice. So, rolling 2D4 for a Marador dream, I get 7, which is quite a powerful Maradorian dream.

A dream's Intensity is the number of Magc Points it wll cost a dreamthief to steal it. So in ths case, 7 MP for the Maradorian dream. To do the stealing, the dreamthief opposes his Dreamtheft skill against the dream's Persistence, which is its Intensity multiplied by 5 - so 35% in this example.

Let's say that our dreamthief has Dreamtheft at 45%. He needs to beat the dream's 35% Persistence in an opposed roll and spend 7 MP to steal it. The rolls are made: the dreamthief rolls 44, which is under his Dreamtheft, so a success. The GM rolls for the dream as it tries to resist being stolen, and he rolls 32% - a good roll for the dream, but as the dreamthief's roll is higher (remember: in opposed tests need high rolls within the skill range), the dreamthief is successful and he captures the dream, but reduces his MP by 7 in doing so.

The dreamthief now has the dream captured in his dreamstaff and take it to the Bazaar and sell it to a client looking for dreams concerning Old Desires.

Does this clarify how things work? Let me know if it doesn't.

Thanks, Loz! Somehow I missed the black box on p. 125, describing the skill, and couldn't find the skill listed in the skills chapter (which makes sense, if sorcery and dreamtheft are GM permission-only skills. I guess it was late night reading that was the problem.

Your example is very clear and I appreciate it!

Thanks,

BE

Loz said:
Hi,

Dreamtheft is quite straightforward. It relies on two things: the dreamthief's dreamtheft skill (page 125, boxed text - Dreamtheft skill) which starts at the dreamthief's POW but can be increased like any other advanced skill; and the strength of the dream being stolen.

[snip]

Does this clarify how things work? Let me know if it doesn't.

Back