[House Rules] New Combat Maneuvers

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
These are new combat maneuvers, like Pantherish Twist, free to anyone who qualifies.

See Weakness
You know how to spot weakness in your opponents.
Prerequisite: Dex 15, Int 13, BAB +1, Sense Motive 4 ranks.
Benefit: In combat, you can study a single opponent's moves looking for a weakness in his fighting style. Make a Spot check against DC 15. If successful, roll 1d3; the result is the number of rounds it takes you to find and exploit your opponent's mistake. You then receive a +1 bonus on your next attack roll vs. that opponent. After that, your opponent alters his fighting style and you lose your advantage.

Shield Trick
You have been taught an unorthodox fighting style with your shield.
Prerequisite: Dex 15, BAB +1, Shield Proficiency
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to Parry whenever you use a shield, but take a -1 penalty to dodge in melee and dodge (ranged). You can switch from using your shield trick to normal shield use (losing the accompanying benefit and penalties) as a free action once per round.[/b]

[EDIT] See Weakness: Changed Spot to Sense Motive 4 ranks.

Hmm. I like the idea, but See Weakness seems a whee bit weak for a whole feat slot. Perhaps you could add a scalable bonus to attack (and perhaps damage) based on the Spot check?

Squid said:
Hmm. I like the idea, but See Weakness seems a whee bit weak for a whole feat slot. Perhaps you could add a scalable bonus to attack (and perhaps damage) based on the Spot check?

I was making these moves free combat maneuvers like Bull's Charge, Pantherish Twist or To The Hilt, not feats.

Those are cool. We have one called Auto Slay, basically if you roll a Nat 20 twice and then back it up with just a hit you auto slay the enemy regardless of foe or weapon. My GM in D&D introduced that to me and I've only done it once , so I implemented it in Conan. It is rare but awesome if it happens against a powerful foe, (Not so awesome if it happens to you :cry: )

Now I feel silly, doubly so given the name of the topic!

I feel that See Weakness needs more power, even if it's merely a maneuver. Perhaps a successful check leaves the enemy flat-footed for your next attack, or something along those lines. Squid's scaling bonus is another good thought.

To compensate, you could vary the difficulty of the Spot check with the opponent's level, or perhaps give certain classes a higher DC.

By the way, Chef, I just want to say that I'm amazed by the volume and cleverness of the ideas you come up with for this game. Please understand that I post counter-arguments and suggestions to contribute to your work, not to play the smart-ass trump card. If you ever move to the metropolitan New York area, you'll find more than a few people who would love to have you around for gaming purposes.

tagnetti, what you describe is a fairly common variant rule. In fact, it's on p. 28 of the D&D DMG. We use it from time to time as well, and it is rather cool. In fact, it saved the party's bacon the last time it came up, as well as providing vindication for a player whose character kept rollnig critical threats against crit-immune enemies (this one wasn't).

InsomNY said:
I feel that See Weakness needs more power, even if it's merely a maneuver. Perhaps a successful check leaves the enemy flat-footed for your next attack, or something along those lines. Squid's scaling bonus is another good thought.

To compensate, you could vary the difficulty of the Spot check with the opponent's level, or perhaps give certain classes a higher DC.

By the way, Chef, I just want to say that I'm amazed by the volume and cleverness of the ideas you come up with for this game. Please understand that I post counter-arguments and suggestions to contribute to your work, not to play the smart-ass trump card. If you ever move to the metropolitan New York area, you'll find more than a few people who would love to have you around for gaming purposes.

I always appreciate and welcome constructive criticism. :wink:

The original concept I came up with for See Weakness had you retaining the +1 to attack for the remainder of the combat, until the enemy was slain, knocked out or withdrew. I toned it down because my co-DM thought it should only apply to one attack since it wasn't a feat. I like your ideas, too. Will have to think on them.

tagnetti said:
Those are cool. We have one called Auto Slay, basically if you roll a Nat 20 twice and then back it up with just a hit you auto slay the enemy regardless of foe or weapon. My GM in D&D introduced that to me and I've only done it once , so I implemented it in Conan. It is rare but awesome if it happens against a powerful foe, (Not so awesome if it happens to you :cry: )

Actually, that's an optional rule introduced in the DMG ...

Iron_Chef said:
Prerequisite: Dex 15, Int 13, BAB +1, Spot 4 ranks.

I think that Sense Motive 4 ranks, and a Sense Motive check makes much more sense than a spot check here.

a) it rewards someone for putting more points into a less useful skill (Spot is pretty much a must-have for anyone!)
b) it fits in better with what you are doing, sensing a weakness in his behaviour or something that is exploitable
c) it could be opposed by the use of bluff skill if you don't want a static check.

Cheers

Plane Sailing said:
Iron_Chef said:

I think that Sense Motive 4 ranks, and a Sense Motive check makes much more sense than a spot check here.

a) it rewards someone for putting more points into a less useful skill (Spot is pretty much a must-have for anyone!)
b) it fits in better with what you are doing, sensing a weakness in his behaviour or something that is exploitable
c) it could be opposed by the use of bluff skill if you don't want a static check.

Cheers

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Johannixx said:
Plane Sailing said:
Iron_Chef said:

Cheers

Done. Original post revised.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Back