History of Conan RPG?

I was wondering, how many Conan rpgs have there been and how did Mongoose get a hold of the rights? i looked around for a bit on Mongoose's site but failed to find the information.

Yes, I know that the DnD stuff, originator of rpgs, had the sword n sworcery genre in mind, but is this the first rpg specifically for the Hyborian age? two or three years ago i converted an old game, Palladium FRPG for a Conan mini-campaign. hopefully this product will receive a lot of support from Mongoose (as it appears to be with Skelos and a number of other supplements).

Steve Jackson Games made a GURPS version a few years ago, but as you can see on their listing, they're all out of print :x :

Conan (#SJG6012) - Out of Print
Conan and the Queen of the Black Coast (#SJG6204) - Out of Print
Conan: Beyond Thunder River (#SJG6201) - Out of Print
Conan: Moon of Blood (#SJG6206) - Out of Print
Conan: The Wyrmslayer (#SJG6205) - Out of Print

You'd have to try your luck on ebay...
Someone on this board mentioned that the adventures were playable solo.

P.S.: As you can see on this cover, they were fond of female breasts in typical howard spirit...
Sorry about the size of the pic; I put it here as there's no risk of competition since the GURPS Conan line is dead.
cover_lg.jpg

TSR put out two Conan AD+D modules, a Red Sonja module and a Conan RPG box set. The rpg had three modules. I heard there was another Conan rpg though I've found no info on it.

blacksagelobo said:
TSR put out two Conan AD+D modules, a Red Sonja module and a Conan RPG box set. The rpg had three modules. I heard there was another Conan rpg though I've found no info on it.

TSR put out more than a few modules they put out a rule set (boxed set) and a world of conan sourcebook. I know I have them both :)

TSR put out AD&D modules CB1 and CB2, as well as RS1 (Red Sonja)

TSR put out a standalone Conan game, boxed set, along with CN1, CN2, and CN3 - I haven't heard of a "world of conan" sourcebook associated with this other than what was in the boxed set itself

GURPS put out the products listed above.

We have the current game coming out by Mongoose Publishing.

That's all the Conan RPG stuff that I know of (and have it all too, including multiple copies of much of it ;) ).

Ah, i knew there was more stuff. i was just wondering what has been covered RPG for the conan series... does Mongoose have an effective rpg clean slate for conan then?

I know Marvel Comic's put out a handbook, but like slaughterj said the only sourcebook I have is from the box set.

BTW, there is a hobby shop near me that has the box set (mint condition) for $15.

Back