gods of hyboria

another question...
Conan and Lovecraft share the same world. Conan is part of the Cthulhu Mythos.
So..is Set another name for Yig? Both snake gods and both are worshippd by snake men.
Just a theory...

I wouldn't say Conan is really -part- of the Cthulhu mythos. Rather, Howard borrowed parts of the Cthulhu Mythos for his own stories, as Lovecraft encouraged his friends to do.

Damien said:
I wouldn't say Conan is really -part- of the Cthulhu mythos. Rather, Howard borrowed parts of the Cthulhu Mythos for his own stories, as Lovecraft encouraged his friends to do.

The borrowing went in both directions, e.g. HPL mentions Valusia at last once - a land he "stole" from REH's Kull. In the book "Nameless Cults", which collects REH's Cthuloid stories, there is a short explanation of the connections between the two authors placed before each story.

In this book there is even a story written by both authors (and 2 or 3 others).

Even so - I wouldn't say that Conan is in any way part of the Cthulhu mythos. I would say that the Cthulhu mythos, and Lovecraft's works in general, are extremely pervasive throughout most of the 'dark fantasy' and 'weird' genres, however.

Well, it is accepted that Lovecraft and Howard were acquainted. Howard wrote his Conan stories over a span of 4 years, and having Lovecrafts mythos, which he surely read, to inspire him, is evident. As to Conan living in the world of Cthulhu, just read the descriptions of creatures in Conan stories, read how scholars describe the evil gods and demons. They are described just as Lovecraft did.
The primary difference in Lovecraft and Howard is that in Lovecraft, you meet a monster and go crazy, it being unfathomable or indestructible. In Conan, you meet the monster and whack it, sending it back from where it came. Of course, you can do this in Lovecraft too, but most Lovecraft characters are scientists with little combat training.
I have always thought that Stygia was ruled by serpent people, it was always how I understood descriptions of it in Howard.
I would imagine that most fans of Conan and Cthulhu see the two linked, it being the same world, just at different times. I dont see why it cant be, in your game. It is in my game, but it is also more than just another time period in the mythos. Conans world is far more magical than Lovecrafts settings, so the gods are able to manifest easier. On the other hand, Conan sends many of them back to the great beyond. Here is a fair comparison of the two worlds=
http://kingsofthenight0.tripod.com/mythos.htm

sabathiel said:
will we every see a book that details this subject with their temples and followers and so on i would hope so
Hey there - I've been on vacation, so am trying to check up on the message boards and saw this topic.

I tend to agree that Howard used elements of the Cthulhu mythos in his stories. Howard also wrote a good many Cthulhu stories (he and Lovecraft were penpals), but you may think of it as sharing a sense of literary flavor as opposed to 'copying' or 'incorporating.' Now, The Road of Kings lists the gods of each province, and the basic book (whether 1st ed. or AE) have a bunch of gods listed in their chapter 'Religion.' I personally would rather not see a publication just of gods, it sounds too much like a frivolous expense like something ala DnD, made solely to get more cash off of gamers. Everything you need is in the two books I just mentioned, IMHO. :wink:

In case anyone's interested, I quickly scanned through Conan stories when I was awaiting the release of the 1st ed. and made a list of all gods, demons and characters in various stories (Howards, and a couple altered/finished/edited by DeCamp & others), and while I think the books I just mentioned are great sources, I'd email this list if anyone's interested. There may be mistakes (I hope not, but hey, I scanned through 34 stories in one week's time, so it's quite possible I made goofs :p ), but drop me a line if you're interested.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they don't stat out the gods and give only a paragraph on the religon of the god itself. D&D's Deities and Demigods book was a big disappointment in that regard.

welcome to the boards hacky 8) gave up on D&D long time now and boy am I glad I did the bound books are getting sillier and sillier in a almost desperate attempt to get your money.some places and games are worth your money conan is,lone wolf is,slaine is, planescape was as was CoC and the new runequest by mongoose will be :wink: but the new books by wizard are not we have have cold now waiting for rain,sunny weather and plane of fluffyness were all this stuff and there producers belong :twisted:

Back