Truther Travellers

Of the two careers listed in the Traveller Companion (both versions) Truther comes across as the strangest.
The mechanism of FOL, Followers, basically requires your character to create vlogs on a semi-regular basis, and post your stuff out on the datanets. Your FOL is basically your social media followers.
So ... has anybody else ever made a Truther Traveller? Bear in mind that the first Truther Traveller in history was this person.
1696072181501.png

I'd have thought that this character would have a couple terms each in Noble (Dilettante) and Entertainer (Performer).
I can't comment on the career of Truth error as I don't have the Companion.

odcfxpi7tni91.jpg

I'd have thought that this character would have a couple terms each in Noble (Dilettante) and Entertainer (Performer).
I can't comment on the career of Truth error as I don't have the Companion.
Here's what the Companion has to say about them.
1696108651259.png

Basically, they have the same six characteristics as other Travellers, plus FOL - their followers. So to keep their FOL at a high level, they just have to keep making blogs, vlogs and social media posts and spread them over the datanets.

They have a special mustering out benefit, Patronage, where they can get a regular wodge of cash every year, kind of like a pension. Since they don't have ranks, they can't collect a pension through regular means.

As for their Truth, it can be anything - speculation that the Ancients were time travelling humans; conspiracy theories about how Strephon might have been replaced by a clone; even some claims which veer towards Believer territory, such as this pic below being a true likeness of the Terran saint Richard of Astley, whose article of faith which drives Believers across the void is that he is never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down ...
Blessed Keanu Reeves.jpg

I haven't seen one played. Fills a niche no one in my group wanted filled.

I slammed the Companion Truther pretty hard on this board once, but I will say I like that they came up with that custom mechanic for it. I can see doing that for other character concepts as well. Say a Shadowrun-style Rigger with a rank-based limit on how many customized drones he's got available at any one time, so he's neither too limited nor too overpowered by pure credits. Or an augment-implanting cyberdoc who's got some limit on how many things he can do to any one of his companions, not just "anything and everything they can afford."

Some explicit discussion of that kind of off-core-rules rule-making would not be amiss either, but in its absence at least we have a template and a suggestion of it.

Back