Glorantha, who has the rights? Licensing Restrictions?

Blustar

Mongoose
I'm waiting with cautious optimism that this RQ really is deserving of the RQ name. I'm a huge RQ2ed fan and also of Glorantha. But will 2nd age Glorantha actually feel like RQ2ed Glorantha?

How much of the prior lore written about Glorantha is Mongoose allowed to use? Can you use any of the Hero Wars stuff? ( Decipher got screwed by not being allowed to use "book" Tolkien!) I mean can you use the name of the God's in Prax Cults or do you have to make up all the God's from scratch?

Is Gregg opposed to this new version or is he onboard? In other words will he be actively campaigning that this version of Glorantha is "unofficial" and sacrilege?

Is Mongoose going to be adding to the lore? Who will be the primary writer and does he/she have any affiliation to GLorantha?

Mainly would like to see if I should get my hopes up for some Glorantha goodness or mainly hackjobs to bpad the rules system.

Blue

This has been covered in other threads, if you look at the previews you will see Gregs name right there in B&W. The rights for Glorantha have always remained with the good people at Chaosium/ Issaries and the Rights for Runequest have gone back to them too, and have now been hawked/ loaned out to the Mongeeses. No-one could do a worse job than GDW (may they be eaten by hungry trollkin) and from what I have seen The Mongoo people are doing a pretty good job so far, and have a good range of products planned. Have a good look at the previews, see what they have written on the forums, take a deep breath and remember it's NOT as important as football, only nearly so. AND, you can always wing it.

Will Second age feel like Third age? I think that is upto you.

Greging is a thing of the past... I mean the First age, No, No, I mean...

Don't start that whole football thing! Besides, everyone knows motorcycle racing is much more important...

Joking aside, the spectre of Gregging does loom large for me. I am interested to see how second age compares with the third age stuff. Being an old fogey, I kind of ignored most of the newer stuff (Urox/Storm Bull, Elmal and all that). I pick and choose the stuff I want to include, and ignore the rest - my games end up being a kind of evolved RQII.

neeeeeeeyowwww!!

homerjsinnott said:
No-one could do a worse job than GDW (may they be eaten by hungry trollkin) and from what I have seen
GDW never published RQ. Their RPGs were Traveller and the like and of a pretty good standard.

Avalon Hill published RQ. The main poor quality was in the non Gloranthan output-Daughters Of Darkness etc. Gloranthan stuff was generally good, but damaged by the sluggish release schedule.

Greg and Rick Meints (of Moon Design, publisher of HeroQuest) explained the licensing deal at Tentacles.

Mongoose can draw on all published information on Glorantha and expand from there.

By my interpretation of this, gods' names (and facts about them) like e.g. all the new and shiny subcults of Orlanth in Thunder Rebels are supposed to be used by Mongoose, although it is up to them how much detail they want to saddle the players with. A divine flight spell from Orlanth might well be called "Vanganth's Flight" or similar.

(It's not like there are that many Orlanthi who do classical worship at the time of the setting, though, with the EWF having covered their religion with draconic concepts. Apart from a small rebellious tribe in Heortland taking it up with both empires at the same time, and not doing too well...)

The question will rather be: If Mongoose is about to regain those players who disliked the plethora of new names and subcults in Hero Wars/HeroQuest and prefer the simpler, more universal cults of RQ2 and RQ3 era, will they want to include all that diversity shown in HeroQuest?

t-tauri said:
GDW never published RQ. Their RPGs were Traveller and the like and of a pretty good standard.

Avalon Hill published RQ. The main poor quality was in the non Gloranthan output-Daughters Of Darkness etc. Gloranthan stuff was generally good, but damaged by the sluggish release schedule.

Ooops! :oops: I meant Games Workshop (who would have thought a D could mean so much...

sexy_davey said:
Don't start that whole football thing! Besides, everyone knows motorcycle racing is much more important...

Joking aside

neeeeeeeyowwww!! Indeed.

Bring back Barry Sheen that's what I say, or was it Mr Sheen? wellllll! they are all the same.

There are no jokes! Except about Orlanthi. All the rest have been Gregged to be about Orlanti, or for Lunars. In fact the EWF has been replaced BY the Lunars who then just tell jokes about Orlanthi.

As for the Big G, do as thou wilt is the whole of the law. Just don't make me watch, or hear, or smell.

jorganos said:
Greg and Rick Meints (of Moon Design, publisher of HeroQuest) explained the licensing deal at Tentacles.

Mongoose can draw on all published information on Glorantha and expand from there.

By my interpretation of this, gods' names (and facts about them) like e.g. all the new and shiny subcults of Orlanth in Thunder Rebels are supposed to be used by Mongoose, although it is up to them how much detail they want to saddle the players with. A divine flight spell from Orlanth might well be called "Vanganth's Flight" or similar.

(It's not like there are that many Orlanthi who do classical worship at the time of the setting, though, with the EWF having covered their religion with draconic concepts. Apart from a small rebellious tribe in Heortland taking it up with both empires at the same time, and not doing too well...)

The question will rather be: If Mongoose is about to regain those players who disliked the plethora of new names and subcults in Hero Wars/HeroQuest and prefer the simpler, more universal cults of RQ2 and RQ3 era, will they want to include all that diversity shown in HeroQuest?

Ok, that's good to hear. I haven't really read any of the new Hero Wars stuff so I can't comment on its merits. I doenjoy the old cults and setting though (from RQ 2ed) I always thought it was unique and interesting. Well, if they have the rights to the old stuff maybe they can create something new that can incorporate some of the old lore.

It would be doubly cool if we could use these rules with RQ2ed stats so I can whip out Griffin Mountain for another go. My excuse will be , its a brand new system!

Blue

Back