Getting that creepy shadow finish

Here's a comparison of my Nemesis (converted Warlock actually) with my Omega-X. Sorry for poor photos it's my first attempt. :oops:

Shadow Omega was done with pencil on black basecoat. Topped with black wash. (With thanks to Banichi)
The Nemesis was done with white undercoat, grey basecoat, then sprinkled with black paint using an old toothbrush. A very thin black wash for finishing (Thanks to GreenKnight).

IMG_0240.jpg

Here's the Nemesis close up.

Nemesis.jpg

Heres a pic of the effect I got with pencil on matt black paint.

The patch I'm talking about is the patch on the left, the patch on the right is black dots on grey paint.

I tried the pencil idea on a shadow ship, and due to the slight bumps on its hull it didn't work out to good, the paint kept on chipping. But the flat surfaces on an omega are smoother, so that shouldn't be so much of an issue. If you do give it a try, don't press too hard on the pencil.

DSC00093.jpg
[/img]

Painting your cat lol we will send the RSPCA round lol,

Thanks for the info might try some of it out this week, though am not fond of the idea of "drawing" on a model...

I was thinkin base coat black, then silver or gray for the original Omega look, then a dry brush of black so that it is black with hints of silver/gray. Silver might work better but am not sure. After that am not too sure. Probably a black wash and then some is it mat varnish that leaves that shiny affect?

Going to make a Psi Corps stensil so I can spray the Corps sign onto all my minatures.

Easy way is black base, speckle with gray (flick an old brushes bristles loaded with paint at the model) then coat with a black or smoke ink.

Tom

@ Skavendan:
Yeah, the drawing technique while gives you great control, also takes a lot of time.
And I forgot to mention that my Shadow Omega was actually a standard Omega with spines added on. If you've got a 'real' one, the drybrushing technique would work out well enough, since the surfaces are already textured.
Good luck and hope to see it soon... :wink:

M1ndr1d3rs said:
@ Skavendan:
Yeah, the drawing technique while gives you great control, also takes a lot of time.
And I forgot to mention that my Shadow Omega was actually a standard Omega with spines added on. If you've got a 'real' one, the drybrushing technique would work out well enough, since the surfaces are already textured.
Good luck and hope to see it soon... :wink:

I have 4 Psi Corps box sets in total when my order arrives and 1 EA 3rd age box so thats 6 Omegas in total.

My fleet will be painted in uniform colours so that there is not much confusion in big battles.

I will take some photo's once I am happy with the work.

Am a virgo though so it might take awhile like all good things...

spinkle some sparkly bits?

I doubt I will give that a try this isn't a christmas Tree, or do you have shadow tech ships to put a picture up of? ;)

skavendan said:

I doubt I will give that a try this isn't a christmas Tree, or do you have shadow tech ships to put a picture up of? ;)

The sparkly bits aren't to cover the entire model. Just to be used to highlight in odd places. Sorry, should have said that right off.

David said:
skavendan said:

The sparkly bits aren't to cover the entire model. Just to be used to highlight in odd places. Sorry, should have said that right off.

Captain somethings coming up on the view screen and it hurts my eyes!!!! lol

skavendan said:
David said:
skavendan said:

Captain somethings coming up on the view screen and it hurts my eyes!!!! lol

Guess I am going to have to paint one now, just to show what it looks like. ;)

Prophaniti,

Nice work on the Shadow Omega!
How did you secure the Shadow arms to the Omega and how did you decide where to put them? Thanks in advance.

Don

Back