GEGs

katadder

Mongoose
I see with a GEG you can ignore the 1st X damage from any weapon system but not crits, so does this mean a fighter an get 1 hit and crit you so ignore the fighters damage but not the crit? this is quite insane when you think about it as if the fighter hasnt actually got its shot through the energy grid to cause damage how does it cause a crit?

so the drakh cant actually ignore fighter swarms like i thought then as they could just be critted to death on their low armour, drakh are looking worse and worse to me, think i changing my mind about collecting them.

I think its to reflect the shield, soaking up the damage. Like a large steel ball hitting a wall, and you on the other side leaning on it. The wall might hold, but the kinetic energy is still transfered and you get a thump ;)

Careful katadder, you are drawing logical conclusions based from actual gameplay and common sense.... that's kinda like painting a big target on ur back around here.
Does kinda reinforce a certain point I was making regarding people not buying things for certain reasons tho.

well, if it helps i played a 5 point raid V narn yesterday, and won. Admitedly, I had numerous crits inflicted on me thanks to Frazi flights, but they didn't score a great deal of damage, to be honest, I'd rather ditch the GEG and get a decent bloody hull score!

Wait a minute, that 3 pt GEG makes all the difference when your 4 pt Hull Carrier / Mothership / Destroyer / Raider / Scout gets hit with a Super AP, Dble Damage, Beam weapon....
Oh, sorry, it doesn't, does it?

I think the point here, is that Drakh use swarm tactics with low hulled ships. Their shear weight of numbers, and nasty beam weapons are their advantage. Remember Triggy came second place in Into the Fire II, and he had a Drakh fleet. So they cant be useless, can they?

Hey, it's a weakness they have but frankly I'd still match any Drakh ship (barring the Light Raider - it's great against ships with dodge but not against anything else) against almost anything else that any other race can field.

The issue for the Drakh is a combination of fragility and "n00b syndrome". By that I mean they are pretty tough to get used to and even tougher to use well but once you do get the hang of them, they pretty much rock...well they're easily competative anyway :)

Reaverman, he actually used the Drakh light cruisers with their Hull 5 and solid, old fashioned design. He didn't go for the sheer weight of numbers, swarm with Hull 4 option coz it's broken...
He used the Drakh fleet in an unDrakh like manner and made excellent use of AJP and Tournament conditions.
The arguement for GEG put forward, officially, is that the Hull 4 balances it. A schoolboy with an abacus can tell you that they don't balance. Limiting your main use of Drakh fleet to the Hull 5, GEG gives you 2 ships to choose from. The Light Cruiser is arguably the best ship in the Drakh lists; decent hull (5), 2 pts GEG - useful but not a major thing, and a decent beam weapon with average backup weapons. All in all, a neat little package.
I don't think that the Raiders are broken either, nor the Scouts, the Fast Destroyer is totally lousy and you all know my feelings on the (notactuallya)Carrier and Mothership. Most of the Drakh fleet is ok, but only ok. I just enjoy playing the bad guy for once. :twisted:

Nae Beard (Wing Commander said:
A schoolboy with an abacus can tell you that they don't balance.

Ouch...I was only making the point, too many people on here just rubbish half the fleet before playing them. Also I know what Triggy had, I was their at the tourney.

Sorry Reaver, not aimed at you. I have played the fleet to death and have a fairly good understanding of its design flaws. I only get frothy because there are some blatant problems with it and the "official line" on them is garbage. I'm not a mushroom and resent being treated as one.
I am also a White Star player but was delighted when the old faithful got downgraded in Armageddon coz it was broken in the wrong way before. It got balanced and, I feel, is now fairer to play with against others and more of a challenge. Maybe if I rattle enough cages the Drakh may just get the same treatment. (As an aside - if they worked as described in the RPG Drakh book, they'd be frikkin great fun to play!)
I'll stand u a Dr Pepper on the 7th! We can maybe make time for a wee game with my Drakh and you can shoot me full of your damnable Centauri beam holes.

Nae Beard (Wing Commander said:
Sorry Reaver, not aimed at you. I have played the fleet to death and have a fairly good understanding of its design flaws. I only get frothy because there are some blatant problems with it and the "official line" on them is garbage. I'm not a mushroom and resent being treated as one.
I am also a White Star player but was delighted when the old faithful got downgraded in Armageddon coz it was broken in the wrong way before. It got balanced and, I feel, is now fairer to play with against others and more of a challenge. Maybe if I rattle enough cages the Drakh may just get the same treatment. (As an aside - if they worked as described in the RPG Drakh book, they'd be frikkin great fun to play!)
I'll stand u a Dr Pepper on the 7th! We can maybe make time for a wee game with my Drakh and you can shoot me full of your damnable Centauri beam holes.

No offence taken mate.

As for the 7th, at the moment its a no go as I am going to be working, though I am trying to get a shift swap (though I am not holding out for it). As for a battle, I am sure I can crash over at my mums sometime and bring my Narn (I dont have Centauri at the mo ;) )

The Drakh GEG work on the principle of Star Trek shields. The shields may stop the hit but enough energy penetrates to (a) rock the ship and (b) explode consoles in showers of sparks. :)

Yes it is possible to crit a Drakh ship to death with fighters, but even thunderbolts mostly shoot harmelss fireworks against the GEGs!

Greg Smith said:
The Drakh GEG work on the principle of Star Trek shields. The shields may stop the hit but enough energy penetrates to (a) rock the ship and (b) explode consoles in showers of sparks. :)

Yes it is possible to crit a Drakh ship to death with fighters, but even thunderbolts mostly shoot harmelss fireworks against the GEGs!

seriously? have you playtested them? I took ten crits of Frazis yesterday.

A simple fix would be ignoring criticals caused by an attack that has all its damage negated by the GEG. So if a fighter flight hits for 1 damage and has it ignored by the GEG, the critical hit it rolled is also ignored.

Yellow Beard hiffano said:
seriously? have you playtested them? I took ten crits of Frazis yesterday.
Crits are, clearly, a matter of luck. 1 in 6 hits from ANY attack should be crits (1 in 3 Precise), so it's all a matter of chance and throwing as many dice as possible!

Wulf

Back