GEGs

Yellow Beard hiffano said:
Burger is Wrong, reaverman is right, in my opinion. but it is only my opinion.
See rulesmasters... I am right ;)
The new fighter rules are much more of a problem to Minbari than to the Drakh. Firing first, ignoring stealth within 1", and can sit on capital ships bases. Triple whammy of doom. At least I get a VP for fusion-cannoning them to death now :twisted:

Really, i was just poiting out that your comment that thunderbolts will mostly be innefective wasn't necesarily true,

I think with the rarity of crits, even from massed fighters, they are still mostly ineffective. Taking a fighter swarm could be a good way to fight a Drakh player who wasn't expecting it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to draw you into a bigger issue.

Dread Pirate Burger said:
Maybe I'm confused here. This is how I thought it worked:

I attack a Drakh with GEG 3 with a single-damage weapon. I score 2 hits, one of them a critical. The critical is rolled as a 1-1 (no extra damage). Now the 1 damage from the non-crit hit is absorbed by the GEG. But the 1 damage from the critical goes through, right? Damage from criticals cannot be stopped by GEG, and this 1 damage came froma critical. It didn't come from the extra effects of the critical, but it came from a critical nonetheless.
As I played Drakh at the tournament, I asked Matthew this very question and his ruling was:
the damage from a critical includes the bit before the critical roll so it all goes through. Only rolls of 1-5 are absorbed by the GEG at all.

Captain Triggy said:
Dread Pirate Burger said:
Maybe I'm confused here. This is how I thought it worked:

I attack a Drakh with GEG 3 with a single-damage weapon. I score 2 hits, one of them a critical. The critical is rolled as a 1-1 (no extra damage). Now the 1 damage from the non-crit hit is absorbed by the GEG. But the 1 damage from the critical goes through, right? Damage from criticals cannot be stopped by GEG, and this 1 damage came froma critical. It didn't come from the extra effects of the critical, but it came from a critical nonetheless.
As I played Drakh at the tournament, I asked Matthew this very question and his ruling was:
the damage from a critical includes the bit before the critical roll so it all goes through. Only rolls of 1-5 are absorbed by the GEG at all.

surely you mean 2-5 a roll of a 1 does nothing to anyone.

Greg Smith said:
Really, i was just poiting out that your comment that thunderbolts will mostly be innefective wasn't necesarily true,

I think with the rarity of crits, even from massed fighters, they are still mostly ineffective. Taking a fighter swarm could be a good way to fight a Drakh player who wasn't expecting it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to draw you into a bigger issue.

I'm sure we will both survive and live to fight another day :)

armbarred said:
Sock,

DD and TD weapons will still do a point of hull damage remember.

true, you caught me. I stand corrected, well not corrected really, just pointed out publicly i was wrong.

katadder said:
triggy came second without using the carriers/motherships that peoplpe think of with drakh, he used the hull 5 stuff, add in the fact they do have some awesome weapons and they can be useful but then its getting away from what i think of as drakh. and he also used JP bombs to do it reading his write ups.
True I did use jump point bombs although they did only severely damage two Jashakars in the entire tourney.

I actually feel that the Light Cruiser perfectly fits in with the Drakh philosophy, it's fast, manoevrable, hard hitting and crumples when you hit it hard. The only thing about the Light Cruiser is that if you know how to use it it's a little too good. Probably about as good as the Tertius, Sulust and Targrath...

Still fighters will be largely ineffective to Drakh. GEG 1 will work against most fighters, and actually be immune one sixth of the time. How often can you say that about White Stars? They get nibbled to death, because 1 damage against adaptive armor is still 1 damage. Do that a few times, and the WS is still crippled. The Drakh Raider in return would get only get damage from actual crits.

Drakh suffer heavily from the "theres more than at first glance" Syndrome. I thought the GEG would suck too, but once you actually consider how much damage you can soak that way, its actually good. It makes you immune to damage plinking. OFC Crit fishing still works, but qho is immune to that?

Sock,
Wasn't trying to be rude, but it has been my experience that some people miss these little things. And when discussing a rule mechanic, little things will make all the difference.

Actually not......

Rolling an unproportionate amount of 6 on the rolls can be considered such. Heck with precise weapons theres even a line called critical hit. They just dont get inhibited in their ability. They can only get 6-4, 6-5 and 6-6 crits.

true.

But you do tend to get no weapons fire allowed at the worst moment. And extra damage still applies.

Yes they are immune to all the Speed modifiers though ^^. And get hit fully for 6-6 stuff......

BTW do those ships actually have a crew rating? Cause that would negate crew crits.

armbarred said:
Sock,
Wasn't trying to be rude, but it has been my experience that some people miss these little things. And when discussing a rule mechanic, little things will make all the difference.

Yarrr, Tis' alright for I was in good spirits at the time of my last message.

no they have no crew and ignore all the effects of crew crits. plus most of them have 2d6-4d6 self repair so a 6/6 crit isnt all that bad.

Well but a 6-6 critical is alot worse than not getting a critical at all.....

If 6-6 criticals wouldnt matter those things would be plain unkillable.......

Although they tend to do nasty stuff, so they should be allowed some dramatic freedom AKA one Vorlon planet killer, hot and spicy just for you.

Back