GEGs

so essentially, greg was taking poopy then? come on guys, either GEG stops fighters crits or it doesn't you can't both be right.

Yellow Beard hiffano said:
so essentially, greg was taking poopy then? come on guys, either GEG stops fighters crits or it doesn't you can't both be right.
GEG does not stop crits, any crits. The question of whether fighters are effective is a matter of luck, opinion, and numbers of dice.

Wulf

think CDTD put down how i think it should work, no damage means you cant get crits, even better than stopping damage would be stop as many hits as u have GEG.

I would have won the Yoevil tournement with the following fleet if it were not for the winner getting a bonus 10 points for best painted fleet (I actually came 2nd)

1 carrier
4 heavy raiders
3 light cruisers

the 2 Carrier 1 light cruiser is just as effective (Drakh undefeated in 10 games against the narn fleet of doom (6 ta toc 3 sho kar 1 G Karith) used by the player who came 3rd - Mike and numerous games against other fleets (EA\Vree\ISA etc by various others.)

I didn't use jump points etc in any games. Most were open no terrian or at most 1 moon and a 2 small asteriod fields.

I actually picked Drakh as my second main fleet as everyone locally including myself thought they looked a very difficult to use fleet with too much hull 4 to win. (Previously being of the Hull 6 Beam team Centauri faction)

I cannot over state just how many criticals you will do with this fleet. 19 AD of SAP DD Pre beam is just insane. Use the Crusiers and carriers to protect the raiders from fighters and make sure you keep your fleet together.

Drakh are devasting when used well. OTOH i agree the fast destroyer is rubbish and the Heavy cruiser is only OK. The scouts are good but the raiders are better.

Greg Smith said:
Yes it is possible to crit a Drakh ship to death with fighters, but even thunderbolts mostly shoot harmelss fireworks against the GEGs!

seriously? have you playtested them? I took ten crits of Frazis yesterday.

Yes, I playtested the Drakh and I played them in the tourney on Saturday.

From how many Frazis, over how many turns, against what ships?

Let's see, the hyperthetical 18 fighter swarm, 4AD (no traits), 72 dice, on average 24 hit a cruiser or light cruiser, of which 4 are crits.

I'm not doubting that you did take those ten crits. I would just like to know whether it was particularly lucky rolls or large numbers of fighters? And how many crits did the non-fighters do in the same battle(s)?

If you do the maths then the combination of Hull4 5+ dodge and GEV 1 is about hull 5.3 against big crunch 3 SAP beams its about Hull 5 and against small 4 dice ap or twin linked guns its almost Hull 6

Don't know, we've been playing them and the only fleet that really fries the Drakh so far has been the heavy beam fleet (Vorlon). The Narn get spanked because of manuever issues/dodge, frazi's lose most of those dice against raiders dodge and all it takes is one trailing light raider to keep your cruisers safe. Eight inch antifighter is pretty good at providing a coverage cone.

League, ISA and EA all died in part due to unfamiliarity in part, in part manueverability. Whitestars in particular are just cored by the light raiders.

Our local player thought the GEG was not going to be strong but it turns out to be a fairly big advantage as most non-sap beams only manage a few hits at a time.

We have not tried the Centauri fleet yet, will sometime soon and let you all know.

Ripple

Greg Smith said:
Greg Smith said:
Yes it is possible to crit a Drakh ship to death with fighters, but even thunderbolts mostly shoot harmelss fireworks against the GEGs!

seriously? have you playtested them? I took ten crits of Frazis yesterday.

Yes, I playtested the Drakh and I played them in the tourney on Saturday.

From how many Frazis, over how many turns, against what ships?

Let's see, the hyperthetical 18 fighter swarm, 4AD (no traits), 72 dice, on average 24 hit a cruiser or light cruiser, of which 4 are crits.

I'm not doubting that you did take those ten crits. I would just like to know whether it was particularly lucky rolls or large numbers of fighters? And how many crits did the non-fighters do in the same battle(s)?

4 frazis, on a cruiser, over 3 turns till it was able to kill them. they did no actual damage as they never beat the GEG, but 8 crits were done, the other 2 came from two frazi flights, against a light cruiser. overall, the number of crits from the other ships was very low.

Maybe I'm confused here. This is how I thought it worked:

I attack a Drakh with GEG 3 with a single-damage weapon. I score 2 hits, one of them a critical. The critical is rolled as a 1-1 (no extra damage). Now the 1 damage from the non-crit hit is absorbed by the GEG. But the 1 damage from the critical goes through, right? Damage from criticals cannot be stopped by GEG, and this 1 damage came froma critical. It didn't come from the extra effects of the critical, but it came from a critical nonetheless.

I'll stick this on rulesmasters. Seems to me, that the 1 damage was caused by a crit, therefore should go through since GEG's can't absorb damage from crits.

Dread Pirate Burger said:
I'll stick this on rulesmasters. Seems to me, that the 1 damage was caused by a crit, therefore should go through since GEG's can't absorb damage from crits.

Burger, the damage from the crit and its effects applies. Not the damage made, on the damage roll.

katadder said:
the one damage was caused before the crit and causes a crit, not actually by a crit
I disagree. The damage is caused after you roll your damage dice, not before.

1: bulkhead, no damage
2-5: 1 damage/1 crew
6: critical, 1 damage/1 crew plus roll on the crit table

katadder said:
but the 6 on the damage chart isnt caused by a critical its what is causing the critical so would be ignored.
The 6 on the damage table, causes the hit to become a critical hit. Therefore the 1 damage it inflicts, is caused by a critical hit.

Dread Pirate Burger said:
katadder said:
the one damage was caused before the crit and causes a crit, not actually by a crit
I disagree. The damage is caused after you roll your damage dice, not before.

1: bulkhead, no damage
2-5: 1 damage/1 crew
6: critical, 1 damage/1 crew plus roll on the crit table

Actually the table lists:

1 Bulkhead Hits: No Damage Dealt
2-5 Solid Hit: -1 Damage -1 Crew to target ship
6 Critical Hit: As Solid Hit, but also roll on the systems table

Back