free port bax

I just noticed a few things right away:

Jabrus Cope is referred to as a "Sommerlunder" and speaks "Sommerlend", instead of being a Sommlending and speaking Sommlend.

Also, why is there no legend for the map of the city? Will that appear in next month's installment?

Otherwise, good job, it does flesh out the city quite nicely. I'm waiting for the next issue! :D

I'm not too familar with the meaning of the term legend, but if you mean a key, I did draw one for the City:)

Thanks for the feedback, and if you'd like to see some other parts of the Lone Wolf world fleshed out - well - I'm always open for discussion on that regard and it will help in my discussions with Mongoose for the next article ;)

So, don't be afraid to mention some suggestions/places here. :D

somewere in bor would be great :wink: a mountain top dwarven fortress guarding bor and used as a staging post for local adventures would be great and as a outpost could then include non bor as well 8)

Heh. I really like that idea :)

Not because I am the least bit biased towards dangerous Dwarves with big rifles, nope...not at all.

I'm also hoping that the key/legend is in part 2.

If not, Hellion actually has a copy on her PC, would just need Mongoose's permission to upload it.

columbob said:
I just noticed a few things right away:

Jabrus Cope is referred to as a "Sommerlunder" and speaks "Sommerlend", instead of being a Sommlending and speaking Sommlend.

Also, why is there no legend for the map of the city? Will that appear in next month's installment?

Otherwise, good job, it does flesh out the city quite nicely. I'm waiting for the next issue! :D

If that's all you did notice then I am actually quite pleased, was a fairly daunting undertaking to be honest. Every fan has their own interpretation of how Port Bax should look and feel.

Thanks for the compliment and hopefully that key/legend will appear.

Thanks. I'm always looking to add more content, even though there are a few errors that I'm kicking myself about - but hey, no one's perfect right *grin*

I'm guessing a fortress of Bor would probably be functional, built akin to the Keeps and so on of the Middle Ages with murder holes for rifles. Add in a few secret passages and a quick escape route.

Probably a central living space with thick sturdy walls and plenty of supplies, just in case they had to suffer an extensive and extended siege.

Hellion said:
I'm not too familar with the meaning of the term legend, but if you mean a key, I did draw one for the City:)

Yeah, sorry about that, "Légende" for a map is in French, the correct word in English is indeed "key". Hopefully it will appear in part 2! I was really looking for a description of those numbers appearing on the map. I assumed some of the areas described in the South Den corresponded to some of the numbers.

Did you draw the pictures and the map yourself? They look pretty good!

Anyways, good work all around and hopefully we'll be reading more from you. :D

Myself and Hellion work as a team, she did indeed draw the pictures/maps of the city based on my text. The key was somehow misplaced and we're assured its going to be rectified so hang in there :)

You can find a lot of Hellion's artwork sprinkled throughout some of the print issues of S&P, another map in 27, hint: its in colour and of course in a lot of Mongoose's print products where she's often credited as Gillian Pearce.

I'm hoping to do a few more articles and would very much like to continue my support for the Lone Wolf RPG. The more I look at this thread the more I am wanting to produce something for the Dwarven Bor contingent and after a few cursory pokes at a few ideas I think I already have something starting to crystalise.

If you have any places you'd like to see expanded upon for Lone Wolf feel free to add them here, perhaps another city or town...something different?

Oh and great to be here :>

If you're looking for suggestions as to which places you should do further expansions on, there's obviously the Sommerlund cities (Holmgard, Toran, Tyso, Anskaven) or Durenor (Hammerdal, Ragadorn), but those are so obvious they hardly seem fun. I think Toran was detailed enough already, but I could be wrong (I've yet to really scrutinize Dawn of Destruction).

There are also cool cities in the Darklands like Kaag, Helgedad, Darke, Kagorst, and especially Torgar. I loaned out my copy of Darklands, so I'm not sure how many of these cities are already covered by that supplement.

I'd suggest considering some of the cooler locales from the Lone Wolf series. Tahou and Varetta are both pretty interesting, and with Tahou you can get into the whole undercity of Zaaryx. Elzian might make a pretty cool entry, with the Magicians of Dessi and the Vakeros being so popular. Mogaruith would make a great entry for a creepy, forbidden location, especially since it's so great to adapt for adventuring. I know doing a port city so soon after Port Bax might seem repetetive, but doing something like Suhn for Southern Magnamund could be cool, or alternately Forlu or somewhere else in Shadaki.

So there you have it--suggestions.

Thanks DuskFox, those are extremely well detailed and very helpful suggestions. I am quite a fan of Pirates and Swashbucklers in general so doing a different kind of Port City might be fun to do down the line.

What I would like to do is detail some places that are sparsely described in the game books/novels. With Port Bax there are a few places and key points in Joe Dever's work where it was fairly easy to grab the information I needed, trying to stay true to the setting/City was a nightmare to be blunt.

Keep the ideas coming since they fuel the fires of the imagination.

columbob said:
Hellion said:

Yeah, sorry about that, "Légende" for a map is in French, the correct word in English is indeed "key". Hopefully it will appear in part 2! I was really looking for a description of those numbers appearing on the map. I assumed some of the areas described in the South Den corresponded to some of the numbers.

Did you draw the pictures and the map yourself? They look pretty good!

Anyways, good work all around and hopefully we'll be reading more from you. :D

Strange, when I was tought geography at school (and in the scouts) I was told that the key to a map is called the legend (even 'though it's just the key). The Key is a list of cities, towns and what's where. The legend's all the little symbols with their meanings written by them like the symbols for iron age tombs and stuff like that.

I know them as both, Key and Legend but perhaps some schools teach things like this in different ways?

Ye have not yet commented on the Bor Fortress though *G*

I have a confession to make. Legendes..I didn't have a clue. Maybe it is the result of having spent my informative years in Scouseland (Liverpool);)

Yes, I did the pictures and maps for Port Bax. The gentlemen at Mongoose have been kind enough to let me begin having a go at cartography over the past year or so :) I have done a fair amount in Signs and Portents and other Mongoose products over the past couple of years or so.

Port Bax was specially fun, defining how it should look etc has been a challenge. I hope people can find their way around it;)

DuskFox said:
I think Toran was detailed enough already, but I could be wrong (I've yet to really scrutinize Dawn of Destruction).

It's not that detailed, we don't even have a map of the city! We get to see part of the wharfs, the guild house, a tavern and a few other locations between DoD and BMR.

There are also cool cities in the Darklands like Kaag, Helgedad, Darke, Kagorst, and especially Torgar. I loaned out my copy of Darklands, so I'm not sure how many of these cities are already covered by that supplement.
The only city really detailed is Helgedad itself.

Back