Fixing the Narn / G'Quan

Da Boss

Mongoose
Well they should be fixed / neutered - way too many of them :wink:

seriously I feel the Narn have a reasonable fleet but the G'Quan is a bit rubbish...........

I'd like some cool Narn rule to help them - I feel the CBD 4+ is too broad a brush across the whole fleet. How about something like they can ignore speed crits by taking damage to represent their tenaciousness? Say 1pt per -1 per turn or something (can't CBD it)

the G'Quan - I like foxmeisters idea of a short range F ar / B arc beam

how about - no other changes but the beam (on all varients becomes):
4AD F arc / 8AD boresight, 18" range.............

would that help the poor inferior Narn............ :D

cutting 12" off the beam represents 2 turns of movement with nothing to fire but your one shot e-mines. . . . I'd be worried at how much damage 2 rounds of 6AD beam from the omega for example could do to you in that time. . . :)

How about a look at the thentus and have a secondary burst beam? or replace the e-mines with torpedos? (obviously the secondary beam approach exists on the G'Lan, that already packs a mag gun so duplicatin ideas not really great)

how about redundancy. . .;-)

due to the sheer bulk of armour plating on the premier narn warship, the G'Quan may shrug off the effect of one Critical per turn or X per game, as the damage fails to reach it's intended target due to multiple bulkheads. OR leading on to, due to the thikness of the Armour plating, all Criticals must be re-rolled or drop one step down the critical table (e-g a 6-1, becomes a 5-6 and yes, this could sometimes be detrimental), or just all weapons hitting this ship bulkhead on a 1 and 2 but crits remain as is. . . etc etc

hiffano said:
cutting 12" off the beam represents 2 turns of movement with nothing to fire but your one shot e-mines. . . . I'd be worried at how much damage 2 rounds of 6AD beam from the omega for example could do to you in that time. . . :)

Same range as the Centauri beams..............unless you think they need additional range :wink: Also the Omega has to boresight you now and you may not have too.......

I'd prefer the bulkheads on 1 or 2 rathe than the crit ingoring

Da Boss said:
hiffano said:

Same range as the Centauri beams..............unless you think they need additional range :wink: Also the Omega has to boresight you now and you may not have too.......

I'd prefer the bulkheads on 1 or 2 rathe than the crit ingoring

if the narn get the same "secondaries" as the centauri :lol:

I agree crit ignoring would be OTT unless ALL fleets got some form of it , but just thinking out loud. The heavy bulkheads might be interesting, but obviously leaves the narn as vulnerable to crits as they are now.

what about torps on a G'Quan instead of e-mines? THEN you can drop the G'Quanth to battle, loosing torps and some dice elsewhere to become your mine ship? after all, torps exist at patrol, raid war and armageddon, but none at battle (or skirmish, but a torp varient Rongoth would solve that)

I think some torps wouldn't go amiss on the G'Quan. The Var'Nic has a beam and 2 AD of torps, and the G'Quanth has its beam and 8AD of torps, so I think the G'Quan could keep its 5AD B beam, its O/S e-mine, and gain an additional 4AD worth of Ion torps. Also, the G'Quan should be able to fire off bore, so assuming something like TTT exists I'd like to see a special rule for the G'Quan making it easier for this ship (or even free at reduced range) - my rationale would be that it is seen to fire a single beam off bore quite regularly in the show, and at 5AD it is already taking more of a penalty than its peers (e.g. Omega) if some kind of half AD F-arc solution is included in P&P.

For the G'Lan, I'd be inclined to drop the boresight beam completely and up the mag gun to 4AD to turn it into a the "Mag Cruiser" is is purported to be, with perhaps 2 AD of Ion Torps to back it up.

Than leaves the G'Tal - I'd give it 2 AD of Ion torps, but otherwise leave it as a 5 AD boresight arc command cruiser with the same special rules as the G'Quan for off bore firing.

In all cases though (including the G'Quonth), I'd change the light pulse cannons to regular pulse cannons with 10" range.

I think this would make all 3 Battle variants useful, yet different enough to make them all viable.

Regards,

Dave

The Q'quan needs to be fixed seriously
Ya figure that with other races upgrading their main line Cruiser or earth case Destroyers..man Naval tradition goes out the window in future) the Narn would update their main line cruiser

Yea but there is no Third Age/Early Age/Slaves to the Centauri Age Narn, so you're not playing them in 2265, you're playing them at all time frames at once, so the G'Quan should be among the strongest.

If the logic that there is better eventually, then downgrade it to Battle.

The fix for the G'Quan is obvious. Improve the secondary guns so they're worth using. Give it heavy pulse cannons, 12" range, TL in every arc, and perhaps light pulse cannons as well at the currentl range 8" with a few AD in each arc, just to discourage anyone from getting really close.

With decent secondary guns the slightly sub-par beam won't matter. With 12" guns it could engage the Centauri without giving them any perfect range to shoot without reply and the e-mine makes up for having single damage secondaries.

Lord David the Denied said:
The fix for the G'Quan is obvious. Improve the secondary guns so they're worth using. Give it heavy pulse cannons, 12" range, TL in every arc, and perhaps light pulse cannons as well at the currentl range 8" with a few AD in each arc, just to discourage anyone from getting really close.

With decent secondary guns the slightly sub-par beam won't matter. With 12" guns it could engage the Centauri without giving them any perfect range to shoot without reply and the e-mine makes up for having single damage secondaries.

Sounds good to me but there's a little too much common sense for this to ever see the light of day even though the Narn are a chip off the centari chopping block.

That much is true. Why use a sensible, simple fix when you can fart around with special fleet rules and general inanity?

Because any logical fix should include the rolling of more dice and thus making the game turn longer.

P.S. This is sarcasm

That would be my choice for a fix too.

Greg Smith said:

That would be my choice for a fix too.

of course then you have to ask, why has the Bin'Tak got inferior secondaries lol. . :p

BUT it would improve the Bin'Tak as a brawler compared to the G'Vrahn, again helping balance the choices a tad (apart fromthe fact the bin tak takes 3 years to engage anything at short range) I would even consider loosing say the mag gun on the bintak in exchange for improved secondaries, that leaves the G'Vrahn even more distinct from the bintak?

my choice would be to give all narn battle ships and above the 10" pulse that the g'vrahn has and keep the 8" ion cannons.

All the Narn secondaries need upgrading, really. Maybe give them plasma cannons, AP, DD at 12" for really nasty secondary guns. Fluff justification being they reverse engineered Centauri plasma accelerators but couldn't replicate them, and got a leg-up in plasma weaponary. Then give them some pulse cannons based on Centauri particle weapons and you're done.

Basically, the Narn should be more focused on heavy lasers and e-mines than pulse weapons, but they should have decent pulse weapons copied from the Centauri. That way they have the fluff link but two distinct play styles - the Narn long range beams and then up-close secondary weapons, the Centauri close in quickly, supporting beams.

Back