Favorite EarthForce Capitol starship

what is your favorite EarthForce starship from the Factbook?

• Omega

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nova

• Hyperion

• Avenger

• Poseidon

• Explorer

• Total voters
lastbesthope said:
I also thought that AG was generated by ships with gravitic drives (not that you'd need a gravitic drive but the systems complement each other in some way) so you'd need to swap out the engines.

The Centauri drives aren't strictly gravitic, but the Centauri do have AG on their ships.

But yup, you'd pretty much need new drive systems, and with a "proper" gravitic system, you'd need "field coils" (or whatever) placed over the ship's hull, a non-trivial upgrade.

Basically it's cheaper to build new (as the EA do with the Warlock, Apollo, Delphi and Chronos) rather than retro fit.

Pauly_D said:
i voted poseidon for best ship
because it is the best model and carries 16 flights of fighters!

You and me should have a carrier battle someday.

Maybe after I paint up my fighters from the tourney.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
You and me should have a carrier battle someday.

the only carrier i'm using in my aCtA battles at the moment is a Balvarin
(im just trying to get used to playing Centauri)-but good idea though

Let me be the first to chime in and say how great the Nova Dreadnought is, especially the Beta model 18, yes EIGHTEEN medium laser/pulse arrays as well as 24 Starfuries and Interceptors for the full weapon loadout.

Now yes I know the comments about it being cramped and the LPAs are a pain to fix but I've always been a fan of Assault platforms and the Nova more than qualifies in this regard. I do also realize the Nova is a one trick pony but when that trick is knocking you down hard enough that you don't want to or can't get up again I'd say that works well.

Basically it's cheaper to build new (as the EA do with the Warlock, Apollo, Delphi and Chronos) rather than retro fit.

Which is why the EA uses the Hyperion all the way from the mid 22nd century to the demolition of B5 in Sleeping in Light?

It wouldn't be quite as good as the Minbari system of full integration, but conventional engines and artificial gravity, as someone above mentioned, work fine for the Centauri.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Anguirus said:
Which is why the EA uses the Hyperion all the way from the mid 22nd century to the demolition of B5 in Sleeping in Light?

Not necessarily. That could very well be a "preserved" cruiser, perhaps the infamous "Hyperion" herself, turning up for the special occasion.

However look at it this way - The EA has a lot of them compartively as they were a mass built hull; By your reckoning they should have been refitted with rotating sections when that technology became available with the Omegas because that would be better. Basically, the Hyperion went from the "Ship of the Line" to a more auxillary role. When true AG equipment became available, it wouldn't be as simple as just plugging it in and turning it on.

The Hyperion was designed as a zero G ship. It's quarters, corridors etc are designed without the considerations of a gravity. She'd not have a prefered "up" or "down" direction to her interior surfaces, so the entire interior space would need redesigned, corridors would need to accomdate the new sense of down and be tall enough (they might not be). Doors would need to be reoriented throughout to the new "down" .

Alternatively, you could use the yard space that this cruiser is taking up during her refit to build a new Frigate (the Chronos) that is as effective in most roles, and then slowly run the Hyperion fleet down as they life expire.

Anguirus said:
It wouldn't be quite as good as the Minbari system of full integration, but conventional engines and artificial gravity, as someone above mentioned, work fine for the Centauri.

The Centauri use a semi-gravitic drive system though (this goes back to series fluff, I can't remember is this is reflected in the source books (it was in the Babylon Project RPG and B5Wars game). Not a fully fledged system like the Minbari's, and with a greater number of conventional thrusters.

It's a tough choice between the Omega and the Hyperion, but I'd have to go with the Hyperion for a roleplaying game. The lack of gravity can be a great way to get the characters off of the ship and into whatever mess you have planned for them...

Back