Far Trader Page Layout - Comments Welcomed!

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone.

Just a little something we have been playing with.

Comments?

travfartrader.jpg

That looks really good to me. Loving those simple user-friendly plans. I would prefer if all rooms were keyed. So I knew if that section off the bridge was th ships locker, or a briefing room etc.

I like the layout and the art, but would suggest more detail on the legend, like crew and passenger lounges, ship's locker and office. Plus I think the fresher and ship's locker off the crew lounge is reversed and I still think the hatches/valve between the decks is backwards.

I don't like when I have to try to fit the decks like a jigsaw puzzle. It should be obvious.

Something like this:
eou7qE1.png

Perhaps with a letter or symbol to mark which hatches connect.

Are passengers really supposed to board through the cargo hold, climbing up a ladder? How do they evacuate in an emergency?

Information should be grouped logically and presented in the order we probably need it.

Hull points should not be between crew and maintenance costs, that we need long before combat.

Hull points should be close to other combat related information, in this case the power budget, after the power budget since we need it after the power budget.

Something like this:
onUtOkg.png

I would like to see mortgage costs added to the costs section. Also, while I understand @AnotherDilbert's argument on the deck plans, I find the original presentation more visually pleasing. The space on the page is more equally used in the way presented first. However, if one were to add some more details to the legend, it might be possible to have it both ways.

Ursus Maior said:
I would like to see mortgage costs added to the costs section. Also, while I understand @AnotherDilbert's argument on the deck plans, I find the original presentation more visually pleasing. The space on the page is more equally used in the way presented first. However, if one were to add some more details to the legend, it might be possible to have it both ways.

Perhaps a couple of lines to indicate where the upper deck fits to the lower

Total sensor DM (& EW DM, if different) should be noted, so you don't have to look it up every time. It's easy to mix up when you handle several ships as Referee.
Note that Sensor DMs are not specified in the Core book, so the ship description is the only way to find them.

Power consumption for Low Berths and Fuel Processor not noted. Power Consumption for Low Berths can presumably not be ignored.

Ship:
Jump Control/1 should be Jump Control/2 for a J-2 ship.

Power consumption for Basic and M-drive switched.

Purchase cost of ship is below 90% of the cost of the components, presumably incorrect.

AnotherDilbert said:
Note that Sensor DMs are not specified in the Core book, so the ship description is the only way to find them.

Actually, they are in this edition.

AnotherDilbert said:
Power consumption for Low Berths and Fuel Processor not noted. Power Consumption for Low Berths can presumably not be ignored.

The power consumption list doesn't typically include all the miscellaneous stuff.

1. Additional airlocks would consume space, which one presumes would be accounted for. However, in an emergency, you can always blow a hatch (hatches cost, but don't add volume).

2. How long does it take to warm up a low berth, so you can use it?

3. If mass production discounts are included, they probably should be differentiated to avoid confusion.

By the way, I absolutely welcome the new layout. Especially the colours chosen for background and highlighting the table. Will this be the new colour scheme of the entire book? Looks fantastic and is pleasing to read!

Condottiere said:
1. Additional airlocks would consume space, which one presumes would be accounted for. However, in an emergency, you can always blow a hatch (hatches cost, but don't add volume).

Only over the standard ones you get (1 per 100 tons of space).

Condottiere said:
2. How long does it take to warm up a low berth, so you can use it?
Or would that be cool down?

Condottiere said:
3. If mass production discounts are included, they probably should be differentiated to avoid confusion.

Figure all the Core Rulebook ships include the 10% discount for a standard design.

Ursus Maior said:
By the way, I absolutely welcome the new layout. Especially the colours chosen for background and highlighting the table. Will this be the new colour scheme of the entire book? Looks fantastic and is pleasing to read!

Not exactly, but something along those lines.

Back