FAQ?

slaughterj

Mongoose
The Conan FAQ appears to be for the first version, was there never a new one for the Atlantean edition? Might be good to have a thread of such, so that one can be created - I'll start it off:

BTW, the minimum 1 HP damage rule was clarified to be an optional rule (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/conanaechanges.pdf), and if in effect, I presume this works in ALL instances, whether a STR 6 dork with a dagger against a plate armor foe, or against a creature with a tremendously thick hide (high DR) - any reason to think otherwise?

Also, if you are flat-footed, you are at Defense 10, no exceptions other than cover (generally +4) concealment (miss chance), Uncanny Dodge, or Reflexive Parry, correct? Not even shields apply, even though they add to both types of Defense, correct?

And if you are feinted, you are at Defense 10, no exceptions other than cover (generally +4), concealment (miss chance), fighting defensively (+2), or total defense (+4), correct?

There's a bunch of other sources, but you have to get the links through this forum really.

I'm sure you get many other posts telling you where to look, but try to the link in my signature - that was going somewher at one point.

That's quite a bit of work, but is more of a comparison of 1st edition with Atlantean, rather than a FAQ of Atlantean...

Well, the errata cover FAQs by just having all the differences and corrections already done for you.

If there's something more specific that you're trying to get answerd, this entire forum is a massive FAQ. (lol) Just use the SEARCH function and be as specific as you can. You should be able to find a thread with the answer you're looking for.

8)

Whaaa? How does noting the differences between editions clarify a question (i.e., constitute a FAQ) about the new edition?

Well, that depends on what your question is, doesn't it? :lol:

I'd sugges that if you have a question, and you dont' want to actually come out and ask it (lol) use the SEARCH feature of the forums. I mean, one of the frequently asked questions is "how are they different", which the errata seems to adress nicely, dont' you think?

Now c'mon: ask, search or accept your lot in life.

:p

We seem to be made to suffer, it's our lot in life.

_39912090_c3p0_r2d2_pa.jpg
:lol:

Sutek said:
Well, that depends on what your question is, doesn't it? :lol:

I'd sugges that if you have a question, and you dont' want to actually come out and ask it (lol) use the SEARCH feature of the forums. I mean, one of the frequently asked questions is "how are they different", which the errata seems to adress nicely, dont' you think?

Now c'mon: ask, search or accept your lot in life.

:p

I think my questions above are pretty clear, have nothing to do with differences between editions, and I did search to no avail.

Alright...

slaughterj said:
BTW, the minimum 1 HP damage rule was clarified to be an optional rule (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/conanaechanges.pdf), and if in effect, I presume this works in ALL instances, whether a STR 6 dork with a dagger against a plate armor foe, or against a creature with a tremendously thick hide (high DR) - any reason to think otherwise?

No. No reason whatsoever.

slaughterj said:
Also, if you are flat-footed, you are at Defense 10, no exceptions other than cover (generally +4) concealment (miss chance), Uncanny Dodge, or Reflexive Parry, correct? Not even shields apply, even though they add to both types of Defense, correct?

And if you are feinted, you are at Defense 10, no exceptions other than cover (generally +4), concealment (miss chance), fighting defensively (+2), or total defense (+4), correct?

Both of these are answered at the link in my signature, like I told you. If you are flat footed, you cannot use your dodge or parry defense. "Cannot use" and "adds a bonus to" shold be the further indicators that since shields "add a bonus to" dodge fight and total defense further modify dodge and parry, and, further, if a flat footed target "cannot use" dodge or parry, effectively reducing his DV to 10, then neither sheilds, fighting defesively or total defense can be used either.

Read the errata at that link on page 8 under Combat.

An next time someone tries to help you and you get snippy and snotty, I can guarantee that you moore than likely won't get as patient a response.

:?

LOL, snippy and snotty! Just answering my question surely was much easier than your series of responses directing me to pages of posts for my answer! :lol:

Thanks for the response though!

slaughterj said:
No, no reason to think otherwise I would say.

slaughterj said:
I'm pretty sure this is correct, yeah. You could have shields add their bonus even when flat-footed, though, if you wanted to make fighting with a shield a bit more desirable. That's how it works in Iron Heroes, IIRC.

slaughterj said:
Don't think you get to use the bonus from fighting defensively or total defense when feinted.

BTW, I started this thread a while back for getting some questions and answers in one place. Feel free to copy those into this thread if you like. :)

Trodax said:
slaughterj said:
Don't think you get to use the bonus from fighting defensively or total defense when feinted.

Actually you do get to keep those bonuses, check out the end of the Atlantean changes FAQ, which makes a lot of sense for why you get to keep them: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/conanaechanges.pdf

slaughterj said:
Actually you do get to keep those bonuses, check out the end of the Atlantean changes FAQ, which makes a lot of sense for why you get to keep them: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/conanaechanges.pdf
Ah, cool. Didn't know about that and it does make sense. Thanks!

Trodax said:
slaughterj said:
Ah, cool. Didn't know about that and it does make sense. Thanks!

Not a problem, the reason I started this thread was to clarify if there were any other exceptions on those situations that I was missing!

Trodax said:
BTW, I started this thread a while back for getting some questions and answers in one place. Feel free to copy those into this thread if you like. :)

Actually, I'm working on an Errata, FAQ, House Rules doc currently, which will incorporate all these sorts of cool things, and will post that up eventually.

BTW, when I'm in threads, I just see mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php in the address bar, not the specific thread (i.e., the one in your quote is #13036), though I'd swear I'd seen those before - how can I see those, because I'd like to cite back to some past threads for discussions in present ones?

slaughterj said:
BTW, when I'm in threads, I just see mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php in the address bar, not the specific thread (i.e., the one in your quote is #13036), though I'd swear I'd seen those before - how can I see those, because I'd like to cite back to some past threads for discussions in present ones?
I've had that problem when linking to threads I found with search as well. What I did was to link directly to the shortcut in the list you get from doing the search. IOW, don't open the thread you want to link to, but instead use 'Copy Shortcut' on the thread's name in the search list.

Hope its clear what I mean; I'm rather computer-illiterate and don't really have words for describing stuff like this...

slaughterj said:
Trodax said:
slaughterj said:

The whole point of a feint is to get someone defending against the wrong spot. Cover and Concealment would apply since they aren't based on the person defending themselves... actively at least. I tdoesn't make sense that a person who's focused on defend himself and gets tricked into defending the wrong spot should still get the bonus.

foxworthy said:
The whole point of a feint is to get someone defending against the wrong spot. Cover and Concealment would apply since they aren't based on the person defending themselves... actively at least. I tdoesn't make sense that a person who's focused on defend himself and gets tricked into defending the wrong spot should still get the bonus.
True. But you could look at it as that a person who's focused on defending himself is harder to successfully feint. The logical thing would then be to give the defending character some kind of bonus on the opposed feint roll, but it might be easier to say that his defence is slightly higher instead (12 or 14 instead of 10). I mean this character could still be sneak attacked and stuff, so it's not a huge bonus he's getting.

I think this was the rationale behind the rule; a defending character should get some sort of bonus against feinting and this was the easiest way to do it.

On a related note, I always play that the attack roll penalty you get from fighting defensively and Combat Expertise does not apply to the opposed attack rolls you make when someone tries to disarm you or sunder your weapon. Makes sense that a defending character is not penalised against these kind of special attacks, I think.

Sutek said:
An next time someone tries to help you and you get snippy and snotty, I can guarantee that you moore than likely won't get as patient a response.

:?

Seems like you had the snippy and snotty answers dude.

slaughterj said:
LOL, snippy and snotty! Just answering my question surely was much easier than your series of responses directing me to pages of posts for my answer!

I agree. People on boards like this act like it's SOOOOO much trouble just to answer somebody's question. Maybe we don't feel like searching through years worth of threads for an answer or don't know quite how to phrase the search parameters to get our answers. If you don't feel like answering it...don't answer. But leave your snotty comments to yourself. All you're doing is trying to de-rail the guy's thread. Just my two cents.

Back