Fan Fiction Forums

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

Just a quick heads-up. We have some potential licensing problems with the fan fiction part of our forums. Because of this, we will be taking them down at the end of the month, so if you want to grab some of your work, now is the time!

Now that it's settled... What do you guys think were the licensing problems? There are fan fiction sites out there. They don't seem to be closing down.

M1ndr1d3rs said:
What do you guys think were the licensing problems? There are fan fiction sites out there. They don't seem to be closing down.
I don't know, but this is a commercial site so any fan fic posted here could potentially upset another licensee (or licensor, for that matter)...

msprange said:
...We have some potential licensing problems with the fan fiction part of our forums. Because of this, we will be taking them down at the end of the month, so if you want to grab some of your work, now is the time!
dear MATTHEW,
re - the proposed closure of all Mongoose FAN-FICTION forums:

if 'fan-fiction' has become a possible 'dirty word' with some of your licensers and lawyers then ofcourse remove the offending word/category from your site...

...and just *RE-NAME* your great existing fan-fiction forum as...
*SCENARIO IDEAS and Entertainment*
because that's what all new short tales and poems are: they are ALL more SCENARIO IDEAS and inspiration for all your RPG fans.

so in the context of your great site [with all its fine forums overflowing with so many new SCENARIO IDEAS and new monster ideas] all the existing 'fan-fiction' is simply more rpg scenario ideas: they are nothing more than that.

PLEASE, please, consider this suggestion carefully?
--
re - the lawyers:
how can they possibly fear something that is submitted freely by the great fans and is now legally owned and bound by the strict legal rules of this website?
--
my sincere thanks to Mongoose for trying to host the FF forums for so long.
i just hope this will make you all re-consider and think again?
best wishes. :)

Odds are they got a cease and desist letter over one of them.

Intellectual property is an odd duck. Licensees are in a nasty position: they have paid for a right to use, in a limited way, someone else's ideas and intellectual properties. Any step outside the licenses is grounds for losing them.

Fan Fiction is often a violation, and yet quietly ignorred until someone complains, at which point the owners usually go after the originator whole hog, as well as the hosting site.

Personally, while sorry to see it go, I can understand why it is going (MAJOR liability risk to the licenses). If they actually got a cease and desist order, then they have no choice.

In the US, UK, and most of the EU, you have no "right" to write fan fiction, and even less to share it. When allowed, it is a privilege. One that, in this case, has ended.

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Just a quick heads-up. We have some potential licensing problems with the fan fiction part of our forums. Because of this, we will be taking them down at the end of the month, so if you want to grab some of your work, now is the time!

Is this with just one game or all of them? If it is just one I would assume you could the others, but this is mainly for clarification purposes. This is just another shame in the growing list of them.

Back