Even more Drone questions it never stops!

That was my point I thought defensive fire would work just like allocation in the offensive fire phase. If this is not the case that makes defensive fire even more powerful, especially IDF were a ship can just fire a few shots until the target is destroyed and then hold back for other targets. We tend to use more systems on defensive fire just incase of any misses.

Guys, you're reading too much into this.

All defensive fire must still be declared before any die are rolled.
Example #1:
A Kzinti DN is firing 6AD of drones at my Klingon D7. I allocate the 3PH phaser 2s and the 3SH phaser-2s for defensive fire.
If they all hit, great. I'm covered. If three of them miss, I can not allocate my ADDs because they were not declared before rolls began. I can attmpt to stop them with tractor beams - but if any of the tractors miss, the remaining drones will hit... regardless.
Example #2:
Same Kzinti DN, same Klingon D7. This time I declare 6 phaser-2s and Anti-Drones in defense - before I begin roilling.
I now have the option to roll ADDS or Phasers first. ADDs first is kinda silly as that will destroy all drones and there will be no need to fire phasers; but since they've been declared and not needed - they will not be able to fire later.
Phasers first and all 6 hit. no drones remaining, so no need to fire ADDs and no chance of the trait losing a point.
Phasers first and only 4 hit... now I have to roll 2 d6s for anti-drones.
Phasers first and only 3 hit... now I have to roll 3 d6s for anti-drones.

The logic behind this would be phasers firing as the dornes approached and then ADDs firing as a last ditch effort at any that got past the phasers.

Just my take on the matter. YMMV.

We don't do the above, we allocate one system, say phasers, then if there is anything left we allocate ADD/Tractor.

The rules say you must allocate all phasers before rolling any of them, so you can't fire one phaser then another. But there is nothing about having to allocate ADD/Tractors before also saying what phasers you use.

Right or wrong? No idea, but that is how we play it, I don't remember a rule contradicting that. Speeds things up a bit as there is no having to decide whether to allocate various things up front.

There may be a minor adavantage to it, but not much. You must use tractors last, and there is never a reason to do phasers after ADD.

It also mirrors the SFU games more, where you get to handle drones before they impact over several impulses if you want, you don't decide to use all systems up front then think, gee that was a waste.

Same Kzinti DN, same Klingon D7. This time I declare 6 phaser-2s and Anti-Drones in defense - before I begin roilling.
I now have the option to roll ADDS or Phasers first. ADDs first is kinda silly as that will destroy all drones and there will be no need to fire phasers; but since they've been declared and not needed - they will not be able to fire later.
Phasers first and all 6 hit. no drones remaining, so no need to fire ADDs and no chance of the trait losing a point.
Phasers first and only 4 hit... now I have to roll 2 d6s for anti-drones.
Phasers first and only 3 hit... now I have to roll 3 d6s for anti-drones.

When you do it that way it puts the Fed ships at a disadvantage since they would have to declare using adds. If they don't have to declare then they will be able to use drones later. I play it like storylf, because thats the interpretation that I get when I read the rulebook.

Thats the trade off for Fed though. having the ability to do both in one system. Most of the larger ships have 4 drones a very hard number to run out to zero. And with the length of most games Id just use the drones for ADD and save my ph1's for cracking the enemy shell since they arent as limited as drones.

Are we any closer to getting a FAQ example posted?

We went from 5 different interpetations to just 2 now. Would like to see this one nailed down and put to bed before it comes up again.

Back