Errors in RQ Companion 2nd Preview

Lord Twig

Mongoose
I mentioned this stuff in another thread, but I would really like to see this addressed, so I figured I would start a new thread.

I spotted some obvious errors that will need to be fixed before it is published if Mongoose wants to avoid the stigma of being a company that publishes material full of errors.

The first of course is that they spelled "neutralized" wrong. (Unless it is a UK English spelling?)

In the Spirit Combat area, the bullet point, "Spirits attack, parry, dodge and basically fight just like their corporeal counterparts, though many of their Attributes and skills are determined differently." Is the first bullet point and is repeated on the fifth bullet point.

Also there is a typo in the forth bullet point near the end where they printed "fro" instead of "for".

seanwalsh said:
I can clear up one of your questions.
'Neutralise' is spelled with an 's' in English.

Very good, but 'neutralized' is spelled with a 'Z'. At least in the US.

Edit: Answered my own question. It is a British spelling.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/neutralise

Lord Twig said:
seanwalsh said:
I can clear up one of your questions.
'Neutralise' is spelled with an 's' in English.

Very good, but 'neutralized' is spelled with a 'Z'. At least in the US.

Edit: Answered my own question. It is a British spelling.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/neutralise
That is what I said!
'Neutralise' is spelled with a 's' in English, which is spoken in England.
'Neutralize' is spelled with a 'z' in 'merican, which is spoken in 'merica.
;)

Lord Twig said:
Also there is a typo in the forth bullet point near the end where they printed "fro" instead of "for".
Are you sure they weren't making a reference to the popular hairstyle of the 60s-70s known as the afro, and using its shorter word form?

What is this, the Abbott & Costello Role-Playing Game"?

I can just image

"Quick Lou, cast a Rune Spell"

"But Bud, I don't wanna ruin anything. If I ruin something I gonna hafta pay for it"

"No, A SPELL, A SPELL!"

"Where? I didn't spill anything."

"Not spill, spell. Magic."

"Ooh. Why didn't you say so? Em-Ay-Gee-Eye-Kay."

"What atre you doing?!"

"I'm spellin' magic."

"Stop clownin' around and Cast a magic spell."

"Oh, cast a spell. THat's differerent. What Spell should I cast?"

"Cast Neutralise Magic. THat Way you can stop his spell."

"Neutralize Magic, huh. Okay."

"WAIT-A-MINUTE. Make sure you cast Neutralise Magic with an "s"!"

"With a what?"

"With an "s". You know, you can't spell 'Neutralise Magic' without an "s"."

"You can't?"

"Certainly not."

"Well it's a good thing I got one of those!"

"Yes, you need one "s" to spell Neutralise Magic. Two "s" es would be wrong."

"I'll say!"

"Yeah. Well as long as you know. Just remeber, it with an "s" not a "zed"!"

"Zed?"

"Yeah zed, you know zed!"

"Not personally. I don't follow Broo religion."

"Not Thed, Zed!"

"Who'se she?"

"Zed's not a person. Zed's a letter."

"You'll let her what?"

"Not let-her. Letter, letter."

"Opps hold on a minute, I hear the mailman"

Next week: Broos on First! :)

seanwalsh said:
'Neutralise' is spelled with a 's' in English, which is spoken in England.
'Neutralize' is spelled with a 'z' in 'merican, which is spoken in 'merica.
;)
Local lingual colour aside, you have to realize that English is a fairly flexible language and thankfully there is no central authority, some mad English version of L'Académie française, which could stand on its hind legs and bark out what is and is not English.

Noah Webster's spelling reforms (which are largely responsible for American English spelling) are no different than similar earlier reforms in English spelling.

Even today, only wigged out extremists spell subpœna and manœver properly.

Doug.

Halfbat said:
...and I always thought it was manoeuvre...??
When English ditched the Œ ethel, all kinds of spellings pop up. So Latin fœderal becomes English federal and German föderal. Manoeuvre/maneuver is one of the worst-cases. Just another example of previous (and on-going) spelling reforms other than Webster's (in)famous one.

Doug.

homerjsinnott said:
atgxtg said:
Next week: Broos on First! :)

Now that is funny.

It is amazing how warped things can get if you mix a comedy routine with an RPG setting.

"Remeber Lou, they are Lunars. That means they will probably wait and use a waxing moon offensive."

"I'd say. I'd certainly be offennded if somebody tried to wax my moon."

"No, I mean the moon up in that sky"

"Ohhh. That waxing moon"

"Yes"

"How the heck did they get up there?! THey must have alwfully big cherry pickers."

I could really see wrting up "Broos on First" using Trollball for the story. Trollball wasn't very serious to begin with, so it all get very, very stupid.

Lord Twig said:
I mentioned this stuff in another thread, but I would really like to see this addressed, so I figured I would start a new thread.

I spotted some obvious errors that will need to be fixed before it is published if Mongoose wants to avoid the stigma of being a company that publishes material full of errors.

The first of course is that they spelled "neutralized" wrong. (Unless it is a UK English spelling?)

In the Spirit Combat area, the bullet point, "Spirits attack, parry, dodge and basically fight just like their corporeal counterparts, though many of their Attributes and skills are determined differently." Is the first bullet point and is repeated on the fifth bullet point.

I resurrected this thread to comment that the errors (not counting the correct spelling of "neutralised" of course) are now in the published version of the Companion.

Was it really too late to fix back in July?

Back