elves in magnamund

ironwolf

Mongoose
I have noticed that in the game book it is said that the old races helped the humans start their kingdoms. The only problem is that other then the giants and the dwarves it is never mentioned what the old races are. I think it would be fun if someone would put elves into the game. Hopefully it would not turn this into a D&D ripoff. Maybe the elves could be a lost race that have been in hiding since the time of Agarash and its up to the players to seek these people out. The elves could have magic that would be valuable in the fight to keep the Darklords at bay. Would love to hear more ideas about the elves or any other ideas about the old races.

No , man . Please not .

These elven -folk should stay were they are : Middle Earth , Forgotten Realms and too much other fantasy worlds they`ve infected.

Magnamund got the Elder Magi and the Shianti as old powerful races fitting perfectly into a dark fantasy setting as LW.
(and if you take a closer look on these races you will recognize they are quite similar compared to elves but not so clean , you know)
No shiny , light- bringing , art-gifted long ears in Magnamund.

May the hordes stand as one ...

Helghast said:
(and if you take a closer look on these races you will recognize they are quite similar compared to elves but not so clean , you know)

Hmmm, if you'll remember from reading the Silmarillion, the Elves are far from a clean and goody-two-shoes race. Same with most fantasy settings, as they've all introduced Dark Elves of some type or other.

I'd rather not see Elves introduced into the official gameverse as well. They're not canon to the World of Lone Wolf gamebooks series, the Companion, and hopefully not Mr. Dever's notes...

...well, at least I hope they're not in the notes...:shock:

I have agree with Helghast: there is really no need for Elves in Magnamund. I think it would rather damage the setting, diminishing its uniqueness.

But I do like the idea of older or other races hiding somewhere on Magnamund, waiting for the PCs to discover and recruit them in the fight against the Darklords. (Maybe you should add this to the "101 Adventure Ideas" thread, Ironwolf!)

I have to agree no elves.

It's not that I have anything against them in other settings in fact I quite like them. But it would be wrong to have them in magnamund it is one of the things that makes Magnamund different. We already have the Drodarin with four surviving races I think and Nudniks and Kundi as well I'm not sire that it needs any more. I wouldn't be suprised if there are more inteligent animal races though.

If there are going to be more races I would be more interesting in seeing intelligent races from the seas and oceans of Magnamund. As far as I'm aware there have been no sea races. Although there may have been something in the new order books that I haven't seen. Of course it could just be my love of all things nautical crying out again. :)

Reginald de Curry said:
The Vakeros struck me as filling the usual elf niche. Weren't elves originally warriors and wizards in 1st Edition D&D?

Yes they were, in the basic game of D&D (when Elf was a class in itself, same as Dwarf and halflings). Magnamund doesn't need elves, as the history of the world ably demonstrates.

columbob said:
Reginald de Curry said:
The Vakeros struck me as filling the usual elf niche. Weren't elves originally warriors and wizards in 1st Edition D&D?

Yes they were, in the basic game of D&D (when Elf was a class in itself, same as Dwarf and halflings). Magnamund doesn't need elves, as the history of the world ably demonstrates.

I don't know about that. Given the Danarg, Taklokot, half of northern Magnamund being under the Darklords, Khazan-Oud, Moguruith, even the Graveyard of the Ancients in the heart of Sommerlund, it's not like the forces of Good were doing all that great until the plot device of Lone Wolf showed up.

Not that I think elves are a good idea...just that it's not like the good guys were handily winning..or honestly even keeping pace for the most part.

As long as Ian and I are in charge of the d20 face of Lone Wolf, you will not have to worry about elves appearing in Magnamund. :)

-A

As long as Ian and I are in charge of the d20 face of Lone Wolf, you will not have to worry about elves appearing in Magnamund.

Jolly good.

There's a time and place for elves, and this isn't it.

Not that I agree with putting an elf into Magnamund, but there are the Elessin of the Singing City.

Featured in GREY STAR: Beyond the Nightmare Gate ref 214, the Elessin live in a realm of the Daziarn. Like elves, they are into art and music but are not large forest dwellers and have peculiar rounded ears. Fortunately, this race has a sufficient gritty edge in the shape of their Screaming God and the Guardianship of the Threnogem.

Such communities on Magnamund would be RARE and even then, the Elessin would not be great world-shapers like the Shianti.

Featured in GREY STAR: Beyond the Nightmare Gate ref 214, the Elessin live in a realm of the Daziarn. Like elves, they are into art and music but are not large forest dwellers and have peculiar rounded ears. Fortunately, this race has a sufficient gritty edge in the shape of their Screaming God and the Guardianship of the Threnogem.

Not any more they don't, at least not after my Grey Star adventure. Muahaha!

Really did feel sorry about the way that turned out. Yessiree bob.

...sick a basilisk on me, would ya!

Helghast said:
No , man . Please not .

These elven -folk should stay were they are : Middle Earth , Forgotten Realms and too much other fantasy worlds they`ve infected.

Magnamund got the Elder Magi and the Shianti as old powerful races fitting perfectly into a dark fantasy setting as LW.

Agreed! I am an avid Middle-earth fan and love elves...but they do not belong in Magnamund by a long shot. It would take away the atmosphere from the world of Magnamund. So, please, no, no elves. ;)

Well i guess no one wants then in the game setting. Wouldn't stop anyone from putting them in if they were playing a game and they were the game master.

Aaah, but I have to agree with Ironwolf : Elves DO have their place on Magnamund. We can find many ways to introduce them there :

- Slaves for the shadakis.
- Food for Doom Wolves.
- Targets (to train the Kai Lord novices for the use of range weapons.)
- Combustible for the inhabitants of Kalte.
- etc.

Helghast said:
No , man . Please not .

I must agree, the last thing that Magnamund needs is elves. I am quite content letting the occasional player play a defected giak or something along those lines. Elves are not in Lone Wolf for a reason.

ironwolf said:
Well i guess no one wants then in the game setting. Wouldn't stop anyone from putting them in if they were playing a game and they were the game master.

It's your game iron wolf do what you like with it.

Elves wouldn't work but what about Gungans. They would fit so well into Magnamund. "Yooze notta Duraneeze man man eh". :wink:

Also welcome to the forums ironwolf. :)

chrono_hal said:
Aaah, but I have to agree with Ironwolf : Elves DO have their place on Magnamund. We can find many ways to introduce them there :

- Slaves for the shadakis.
- Food for Doom Wolves.
- Targets (to train the Kai Lord novices for the use of range weapons.)
- Combustible for the inhabitants of Kalte.
- etc.

:lol: very good chrono-hal !!!!
As far as I'm concerned I agree with the general opinion: no elves in Magnamund! So please, keep August ans Yan in charge of the project!!!! :wink:

For what it's worth, Joe Dever told me once that, "strictly speaking, there are no elves on Magnamund". At the time I was really getting into the idea of elves, and had asked him if, by some chance, if a shadow gate opened up from another world, could a migrated elf learn the ways of the Kai and become a Kai Lord. I had converted Kai Lords to 2nd edition D&D as a class, and really wanted to play one. I was young and naiive at the time, I guess.

Needless to say, there were several flaws inherent in my logic. First, shadow gates stay in the realm of Aon: Magnamund, and the Daziarn, so no gates could open up to other worlds. Second, one has to have at least one half somlending blood to have any chance at having latent Kai abilities. Third, and this is important, elves are on almost every fantasy world. Magnamund is unique and diverse enough without them. Don't get me wrong! I like elves. I'm in a band of elves (www.elvendrums.com). We research the folklore and fantasy origins of them, and sing about elven themes. But elves just don't belong on Magnamund. They would detract more form the core story and epic feel of the world more than even, say, an Alyss or Qin**** would.

Thank you, August and the 'geese, for holding so true to this wonderful creation.

Nerethel

Back