EFTF German Leopard 2 140mm MBT Pics

Here is a two questions/request for MP

Why the odd number of MEA Snipers? Why not make a even 8? Also please change the Paint scheme alittle for them. No red check scarfs, it looks too much like the fedayeen. Blue checks might be better, or even light grey with dark grey markings. I would think the leader would look better with a white robe, with the black cape and the headdress also white. Wished you had given him a prayer shawl........

Leopard Tank: Lenghten the barrel please if possible After all this is a 140mm gun.

Other than that I'm fine with the models. Since they are prototypes and the mgs and such have not been added. The USMC and PLA troops are very good buys since there seems to be 4 teams in each pack.

Is it me or does the Mullah look like a Sith Lord???

I like the Leopard, The MEA Snipers are ugly and, being a Big Fan of the PLA their Snipers look pretty good:)

But the Mullah guy still looks like Count Dooku's Secretary or something.....

Just saw the Stinger Teams :|

all we need now is the stat cards :D heheeh

im realy pleased how the PLA are turning out the AA car and the snipers realy are starting to make the pla look good.

but please MGP release 3 FAV's in abox set please please please....

Mr Evil said:
but please MGP release 3 FAV's in abox set please please please....

3 FAVs and a 4 man command squad in a box.... only if they hike the prices up a bit from £20... Afterall you only get 1 Warrior and a 3 man command squad for that.

I would imagine you will get 2 FAVs and the Command squad for £20. or 1 and 1 for £15.

tneva82 said:
msprange said:
Remember, this is _not_ the gun currently in use. . .

But why would they SHORTEN it? Unless they have figured out something new this will just result in lessened muzzle velocity and with that accuracy(well maybe not issue today) and penetration? Or am I missing something?

Guess if you want to turn Leopard into good infantry blaster in style of Brumbar from WW2 this could work but as tank hunter isn't shortening barrel reducing efficiency?

Albeit I'm not pro-scientist so maybe some new fancy armour piercing round benefit from shorter barrel.

No you are right tneva. The M1 Abrams is a good example, it has a shorter barrel than the Challenger, resulting in lower muzzle velocity and accuracy. The Americans compensate for the shorter barrel with DU rounds.
It makes no sense that a 140mm gun wouldn't be longer than a 120mm

msprange said:
tneva82 said:
Albeit I'm not pro-scientist so maybe some new fancy armour piercing round benefit from shorter barrel.

So a tank gun twice the length of what you see at the moment would be the best in the world?

Doesn't work like that :). . .

actually it works pretty much like that! But you try fitting such a gun onto a tank turret....
compromise as ever is key, but bigger shells need bigger guns, need bigger turrets, need bigger chassis

Well the current 140mm model under development has a gun barrel roughly the same length as the L55 120mm gun fitted on current Leopard II and I believe on the BF:Evo Challenger II.

The increase in calibre gives it the necessary extra penetration (of course whether you think that this is actually necessary is another matter...).

Increases in barrel length would as EP states actually start to cause practical problems with balance and maneuverability.

*Edit: In fact looking at this study the scale pictures suggest the 140mm gun will actually have a shorter barrel than the 120mm L55.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Leo2_Files/tanks.140mm-gun.kruse.pdf

Nick

that is interesting, I like the stuff about coilguns etc!

If the barrel is the same length in the end it'll be interesting to see if the loss of muzzle velocity and accuracy cancels out the gain of the larger calibre, effectively making the upgrade a pointless waste of money.....

the wider the barrle the heavier the tip becomes (think of a seesaw) and the verticle movment needed to shift the barrel becomes harder, as well as this the turret becomes more front heavy, so more balas needs to be at the rear of the turret, this makes the tank heavier so you need a larger power unit again adding weight so surface area to ground needs to go up.

basicly its a ballancing acts as already pointed out, another interesting point is the heavier the shell the less barrel length you need to stabalise it for flight, to an extent.

basicly the guys who designed the real thing no more about this stuff than us wargamers who it often seem to believe they know every thing and its dog.

to be honest the leop is growing on me, but the pla snipers still make me wanna get all squidgy in antisipation.

Mr Evil said:
Lorcan Nagle said:
i think he means a 3 FAV box set like the 3 Technicals or three shadows - and leave the command squad seperate.

i did indeed.

Unfortunatly thats not how MGP is selling them.... At the moment... I am eagerly waiting single Warriors to be sold, I already have 2 command squads and can't really see any use for the 2nd one at the moment, let alone a 3rd.....

Well, guys, the 140mm gun on KWK III Leopard prototype was at least as long as the L55 gun on Leo 2 A6. Just take a look:

leo2_140mm_color.jpg

yep

3 FAV's is £60 instead of £20

while 1 warior is £20 instead of £15

in comparison the Warriors have nothing to complain about, the FAV's have a far better case.

if anything maybe a £15 tag for the FAV and comand ? still a pain in the bum but alot more fair.

There is no way I'll buy three fAVs for the 90 dollars nor for 60 dollars. Two FAVs for 30 dollars would be the max, I'll pay. Or one Warrior for 20 bucks.

You guys made of money or something?

i bought 3 FAV's for £60 thing is th command squads are of use well 2 of them, but i cant warrent anouther £60 just to get another 3 FAV's wich is a shame as i realy would like another 6 FAV's.

end result is mongoose loose out on sales from me,and now a slow down in my army building.

Back