Early Player Character concepts, anyone?

Paido

Mongoose
Maybe it's somewhat early for a question like that, but does anyone of you already have at least vague plans what character to play, as soon as the game's available? (Be it only a character class, a basic concept or a fully-fledged character background ...)

To my knowledge, the seven character classes available in the core rules are:

• Brotherhood mage
    Buccaneer of Shadaki
    Dwarven Gunner of Bor
    Kai lord
    Magician of Dessi
    Sommerlending Knight
    Telchos warrior
Excited as many of us are, I wouldn't be surprised to see fully planned PCs here ... Well, folks, take the chance to tell us about your character! :wink:

As for myself, there are no concrete plans yet, though already a Brotherhood mage, a Buccaneer of Shadaki, a Kail lord and a Magician of Dessi have started to argue heatedly who gets to be created (and played) first ... Darn it, I don't even have fellow players at the moment!

Paido, who'd still love to see that Signs & Portens flyer as a downloadable preview ... :?

*laughs* You're not the only one anxious to see that flyer Paido ;)

Well as much as I would have a character made for this I am actually going to be GMing Lone Wolf, I am working through campaign ideas already...Just got to decide actually when to set my game...

Arandur

Arandur said:
*laughs* You're not the only one anxious to see that flyer Paido ;)

*grins broadly*

Well, what would you like to play, if you had the chance? :wink:

Paido, knowing that problem quite well

Well the unfortunate thing is that all the classes sound interesting to me, though if I had to be honest perhaps the Dwarven Gunner, the Shaddaki Buccaneer and the Telchos Warrior are a little less attractive than the others.

Probably a Magician of Dessi or a Member of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star...

Which makes me wonder a few questions though:

Based on the previews and the classes themselves, it seems that multi-classing may not be available in this system, which makes sense and I have no problem with at all (just a sudden realisation)...

And the other question, Brotherhood of the Crystal Star? Does this mean that the fellowship does not include women? I don't think it has ever been covered before and was something one of my players asked me when we were talking about it... she was interested in taking that as a class. I don't think it matters but I was kind of curious.

Arandur

I wonder if the Brother of the Crystal Star will follow the same guidelines as the Banedon (unfortunately too short) gamebook, that they get to choose their spells from a list and presumably add spells per level that cost Endurance or Willpower to use...

Arandur

I'd really like to do a character who's a Drakkarim redeemed to the good side somehow, though that doesn't seem too easy to do... a Drakkarim Kai Lord would just rock. As would a Noodnic Kai Lord, but I digress. ;)

Arandur said:
Based on the previews and the classes themselves, it seems that multi-classing may not be available in this system, which makes sense and I have no problem with at all (just a sudden realisation)...

Wasn't there a smaller paragraph about multi-classing at the end of the "Magician of Dessi" description? But I agree, multi-classing doesn't really seem to have a place in Magnamund ... at least not with many of the seven basic classes from the core rules.

Arandur said:
And the other question, Brotherhood of the Crystal Star? Does this mean that the fellowship does not include women?

Hm, as far as the Legends of Lone Wolf novels are concerned, female members of that Brotherhood do exist. Normally the novels are not a source I would rely on (too many things contradicting my view of Magnamund), but in that case, Mongoose should take the same path ... as they probably did. Hopefully not because, but in spite of the novels! ;)

Paido

Thanks for that.... I was wondering if it was mentioned anywhere. I never had a chance to read the novels as not many of them seemed to be released here in Australia (much like some of the New Order books). Though I have seen that they are available for puschase online as a PDF from the author's website.

Are the novels any good though? I have heard mixed reviews from folks who have read them...

Ahhh, the Noodnics. Aren't they those tiny Rat (mouse) creatures with the really bad Italian accents in the novels? ;)

Arandur

Hmmm,

It's a tough one but I think it will have to be a Sommerlending Knight, loosely based on the formidable Lord Lieutenant Rygar. I was very impressed with the Sommerlending envoy to Durenor in fire on the water. His bravery, honour, fighting prowess, and sheer endurance are the stuff of legend.

Arandur said:
Are the novels any good though? I have heard mixed reviews from folks who have read them...

Maybe I should just send you to this Project Aon thread and the later part of that one. We've been quite ... busy ... there. :wink:

Arandur said:
Ahhh, the Noodnics. Aren't they those tiny Rat (mouse) creatures with the really bad Italian accents in the novels? ;)

Know them only from the game books, but: youse got it. (Argh.) :)

Paido, who'd love to play a Vakeros, BTW. Naturally. :D

edit: Forgot just three silly letters. Darn.

Ordovician said:
I'd really like to do a character who's a Drakkarim redeemed to the good side somehow, though that doesn't seem too easy to do... a Drakkarim Kai Lord would just rock. As would a Noodnic Kai Lord, but I digress. ;)

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Kai Lords have to be at least half Sommlending, and I can't imagine a half-noodnic...! The Kai abilities spring from the Sommlending blood, as granted by the god Kai.

I hope they do have rules for playing other races, though! Drakkarim, noodnics and ogrons spring to mind as great fun!

Nerethel

Kai Lords generally are the noble children of Sommlending royal families. While it is possible for initiates to come from other places (such as Lone Wolf himself, essentially a foundling), such a circumstance would be rare indeed.

Drakkarim become fully playable as of the Darklands Book.

Take care,
August (Shadow Raven)

I was initially going to do a pilot, but when it appeared to be the
choice some others had, I went for the Jack-of-all-trades (ship's
mechanic/general handyman/computer and security systems guru).
However, I haven't yet finished my character due to problems with the
character manager. I can log in early if anyone wants to assist me
with that issue. Because I haven't finished it, I could be a third
pilot or a Jack-O (as above) with some piloting skills (test engine
and control systems) without being a full fledged pilot.
Still thinking on a character name, but will be a Verger I think.

Back