Ducks, Dwarves and Broo

ragnar

Mongoose
Personally, I am fond of Ducks. In our campaigns, ducks were duck-like, not at all like cartoon characters. This keeps the whole campaign a bit more serious in tone.
However, in one situation our characters were investigating an evil temple. the humans went in, and the ducks stood out front. When another PC asked them what they were doing, one duck replied "We're decoys!"

About Mostali - I am probably wrong, because there are articles by Lankhor Mhy researchers to the contrary, but in my campaign, dwarves are NOT born out of the stone, nor are they all male. They are just good liars.

Broo are the most repulsive creatures - the young eat their way out of the bodies of their (typically human female) victims. I worked very hard at making broo the most hated things in my campaign. Can you imagine making a PC Broo? If so, maybe your broo are not disgusting enough. Or your players are more disgusting than necessary! YUCK!

I am very excited about the new rules! I will be buying one for me and probably several for friends. I really want to cure my son's gaming group of their horrible fixation with d20!

ragnar said:
Broo are the most repulsive creatures - the young eat their way out of the bodies of their (typically human female) victims. I worked very hard at making broo the most hated things in my campaign. Can you imagine making a PC Broo? If so, maybe your broo are not disgusting enough. Or your players are more disgusting than necessary! YUCK!
But then there's the WIld Healer of the Rockwoods just to give the PCs a nice confusing moral dilemma... a CHALANA ARROY BROO? :shock: :? :x

Wulf

Don't underestimate this duck
howarddeathdealer.jpg

Had my son make up a character from old rules so's he can get in tune for the new rule book. I understand it's easy to convert characters.

ragnar said:
Personally, I am fond of Ducks. In our campaigns, ducks were duck-like, not at all like cartoon characters. This keeps the whole campaign a bit more serious in tone.

I agree. Glorantha is at it's best when cultures are beautifully rationalised. My flatmate and I have given some thought to duck's seeming association with the death rune - the emphasis being on Severance (from the sky rune) rather than death itself...

ragnar said:
About Mostali - I am probably wrong, because there are articles by Lankhor Mhy researchers to the contrary, but in my campaign, dwarves are NOT born out of the stone, nor are they all male. They are just good liars.

I like the idea that the only Mostali you'll ever really meet are mavericks and heretics - the others are so devout in their worship of Stasis that they won't diverge from the plan. I remember a Different Worlds article by Greg Stafford that made them sound robotic.. But I prefer to think of them as pre-disposed to super-orthodoxy - but still capable of cracking up and diverging - certainly since the machine broke..

ragnar said:

Yeah - unless you're illuminated, of course. The joy of broo is the grand variety of foulness available.. I've just painted a very nice horsebroo.

I'm looking forward to the Glorantha Elves making an appearance as they are just so different from the Legolas clones marauding around games at the moment.
Will we see the Mostali guns - Iron Dwarves with guns was always a good way of hinting to the party they had annoyed the GM :lol:

Malorium said:
I'm looking forward to the Glorantha Elves making an appearance as they are just so different from the Legolas clones marauding around games at the moment.
Will we see the Mostali guns - Iron Dwarves with guns was always a good way of hinting to the party they had annoyed the GM :lol:

Hmm, I do not remember much about the Glorantha Elves (since it is near 20 years since I played it last time), in what way do they differ from "normal" elves of other settings?
Is there a difference in their appearance? or is it only cultural differences?

Archer said:
Hmm, I do not remember much about the Glorantha Elves (since it is near 20 years since I played it last time), in what way do they differ from "normal" elves of other settings?
They are intelligent mobile plants permanently tuned in to the Song of Nature. Every Aldryami (the children of Aldrya, including the creatures humans call 'elves') is part of the Song, and part of the forest. There are Green elves, who sleep only in winter, but ALL winter, Brown elves who slumber every night, but watch over the Green elves in winter, Yellow elves of the hothouse tropical jungles, etc.

They're very, very different...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Archer said:
They are intelligent mobile plants permanently tuned in to the Song of Nature. Every Aldryami (the children of Aldrya, including the creatures humans call 'elves') is part of the Song, and part of the forest. There are Green elves, who sleep only in winter, but ALL winter, Brown elves who slumber every night, but watch over the Green elves in winter, Yellow elves of the hothouse tropical jungles, etc.

They're very, very different...

Wulf

Are they actually green etc. in color?

Archer said:
Tanned or olive skin, green-tinted brown hair. Think trees, not daffodils :lol:

Personally I imagine them looking very fantasy-exotic, and very very attractive. But then I have Louise Perrine's versions to look at...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Archer said:
Tanned or olive skin, green-tinted brown hair. Think trees, not daffodils :lol:

Personally I imagine them looking very fantasy-exotic, and very very attractive. But then I have Louise Perrine's versions to look at...

Wulf

Ok. I only have the illustrations on the RQ3 (Avalon Hill) in my memory, and they were more provoking of laughter than anything else (I specifically remember an elf with a light-bulb like head).

Archer said:
Ok. I only have the illustrations on the RQ3 (Avalon Hill) in my memory, and they were more provoking of laughter than anything else (I specifically remember an elf with a light-bulb like head).
You sure that wasn't the Black Elf? They aren't really Aldryami, humans just don't know any beter. They're actually intelligent, mobile fungus...

Louise Perrine illustrated RQ1 & 2. Without those illustrations to look upon... well, I pity you... :lol:

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Archer said:
You sure that wasn't the Black Elf? They aren't really Aldryami, humans just don't know any beter. They're actually intelligent, mobile fungus...

Louise Perrine illustrated RQ1 & 2. Without those illustrations to look upon... well, I pity you... :lol:

Wulf

Yes, Black Elf, that's it. Well, most of the images had a ridiculous look, and most of them I could not show the players, lest they had a fit of laughter, which was quite disruptive to the game.
It is partially these images that makes me somewhat fearful of picking up the new Glorantha (even if I will pick up RQ to use with my own campaign setting).

Archer said:
Yes, Black Elf, that's it. Well, most of the images had a ridiculous look, and most of them I could not show the players, lest they had a fit of laughter, which was quite disruptive to the game.
That was the box set World of Glorantha. The artwork was total shit. It was the worst illustrated RQ work by a long, long way. Check out these...
http://www.waynesbooks.com/Runequest.html

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Archer said:
That was the box set World of Glorantha. The artwork was total ****. It was the worst illustrated RQ work by a long, long way. Check out these...
http://www.waynesbooks.com/Runequest.html

Wulf

I have looked for images, in order to get another view of Glorantha, something that I might more agree with and possibly could use to sell the setting to my current players.
Not that these will sell it to my current players who are very particular when it comes to visual style etc, but they are magnitudes better than the images inside the AH RQ3 deluxe books...

Speaking of awful artwork - Daughters of Darkness, anyone? Troll Gods??

I could do better - and I am severly artisitically challenged!

Here's hoping for a return to proper production values... Not wishing to appear toadying, must most of the mongoose stuff I've seen looks pretty good

sexy_davey said:
Speaking of awful artwork - Daughters of Darkness, anyone? Troll Gods??
Same 'artist' as World of Glorantha. Avalon Hill wanted to rush them out in a minimum of time as the line wasn't making as much money. After the superb artwork of the Pavis books it was a disaster!

Wulf

Current Artwork though is awesome, well worth it. Ducks look great, Troll excellant and the Elves well... Speechless. Yes they look like plants but plants with attitude and not laughable at all.

Thumbs up to Mongoose here.

Back