Ducks, Dwarves and Broo

I'm sorry, I just can't. I can't. believe me, I've tried. Aldryami: Brilliant. Mostali/Dwarves? Superbly done. Trolls too... nonhuman races that are really nonhuman... different. Great stuff.

But I can't take..them. I can't. They are rubbish. They blow all possible seriousness out of the water. They are feeble caricatures. I tried to take them seriously, I really did. But they suck.

Ducks. No. Just no.

Most Broo are born from animal stock not Human. Broo have herds of goats they use at time if I remember right.Broo do inherit some traits from their Mother which once allowed me to pull a surprise on my player. I had a Broo with the chaotic features appears harmless and +2d6 charisma( I was using a custom chaos feature chart) so I decided that the Broo in question look like a human female.And had my other Broo use her as bait for an ambush.

Anyone see the episode when Chris Eccleston's Doctor Who allied with an Aldryami?

dw1.jpg

and was she using a POW crystal?

dw2.jpg

As soon as I saw these guys, I thought Aldryami. Probably the closest I've seen in TV or the movies.

Cheers

Dave

Certainly did see it and thought the same... they are aldryami through and through (well done for remembering and posting the pictures). Such a view would really help players get an image of what a Glorantah (RQ?) "elf" is really like.

Makes you wonder, though, if Ents can't be seen as giant aldryami, too.

Most Broo are born from animal stock not Human.
Didn't have to be female or animal/human either, I remember descriptions of them being able to mate with anything... pretty revolting...

Chris Eccleston's Doctor Who allied with an Aldryami?
The make up, effect, and stuff in the New Dr Who has been excellent, and the Tree folk are dead ringers for Gloranthan Aldryami.

Personally I always saw Aldryami as more human-looking than tree-looking, simply because they are descended from the Man Rune.

Dryads, Trees, Runners and Pixies are not Man-Runers so are far more tree-like.

So, Elves are more like planty humans than humanoid plants.

I play that as they get older they become more plantlike, with gnarled limbs and leaves for hair, but when they are younger they may have strange eyes and leaflike hair but they are definitely different from walking bushes.

Unfortunately, illustrating something to make it look like a mushroom, without it also looking absurd, is no easy matter. d20 Myconids are another case in point.

ragnar said:
Broo are the most repulsive creatures - the young eat their way out of the bodies of their (typically human female) victims. I worked very hard at making broo the most hated things in my campaign. Can you imagine making a PC Broo? If so, maybe your broo are not disgusting enough. Or your players are more disgusting than necessary! YUCK!

That's a cop out. I played in a game where my (male) GM did that, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Broo can mate with anybody and sometimes even anything. Making them just rapists (after females) is really lame. It's good to have the male PC:s crossing their legs when they encounter the broo!

So... a broo will just as happily bugger a male adventurer as a female (or a sheep, or possibly even a tree on a bad day).

Incidentally (on Glorantha at least) dwarves reproduce in a lab. A male and a female are needed, but the offspring is then grown in a vat. The sexual acts needed are strange and traumatic to the dwarves concerned, and it is only done when ordered by the higher ups.

Adept said:
ragnar said:
So... a broo will just as happily bugger a male adventurer as a female (or a sheep, or possibly even a tree on a bad day).

Yep. There's rumours of an allosoarus broo in Griffin Mountain. Horrifying thought. There's also a pack of really, really weird broo in the Dorastor setting book. We're talking tree/rock/tiger stuff. The mechanics of which leave me a little ill to this day.

Broo are just plain old over the top scary scary. Ogres are secretive Stephen King novel scary.

Jeff

My own feeling is that while Broo can mate with almost anything, like a troll can eat almost anything, they of course have preferences. First are those species with the man Rune, followed by mammals, then other animals, then finally other living things. And the chances of getting their victim pregnant is also in that order, almost always with a specie with the man rune, a good chance with all mammals , fair with other animals and hit and miss with plants(Elves are under those with the man rune while all other Aldramyi for this are considered mammals)
Also remember the Broo strength and size is often based on the mother so a Rhino broo is bad news while a rabbit Broo is more of a walk over.
Only a few specia are not mated with and those are either highly magical and powerful , or they have abilities that the Broo does not want to bother with, like Gorps, who acidic nature makes any attempt to mate with a little painful.

Broo can mate with almost anything
From what I can remember any orafice or wound will do when it comes to broo - which brings horrific imagery to mind that I'ld rather give a miss while eating my breakfast.

How did Broo act before Thed bacame the goddess of Rape and Ragnaglar went over the edge and began his pact with Chaos.
From what sources I remember reading, they weren't viewed with any great annimosity. But I assume they bred in the same manner... but then again death wasn't an issue.

There is some scope for playing 'reformed' female broo rather than joining Malia and spreading disease, which might be cool...

The broo in the monster book, its a damn fine pick but looks far too clean and proud... still an excellent piece of artwork though.

Exubae said:
Broo can mate with almost anything

How did Broo act before Thed bacame the goddess of Rape and Ragnaglar went over the edge and began his pact with Chaos.
From what sources I remember reading, they weren't viewed with any great annimosity. But I assume they bred in the same manner... but then again death wasn't an issue.

Broo bred nromally. By all accounts Ragnaglar's children were lusty beasts but the horrific nature boo-birth was not something that occured till after Thed... changed.

Jeff

Looking at broos in the RQM books, it seems as though Mongoose is downplaying their fruity nature, probably so as not to scare people away. So, broos eat people (which is nasty enough) but nothing else is described or even hinted at.

It will come as a shock when people find out the rest of their habits.

Tusk Riders
While were talking shocking and distasteful, it'll be cool to see how the Aramite religion evolves in the second age. Are they torturing and being evil gits at the moment, I suppose the Bloody tusk as a religion doesn't exist yet.

Exubae said:
Tusk Riders
While were talking shocking and distasteful, it'll be cool to see how the Aramite religion evolves in the second age. Are they torturing and being evil gits at the moment, I suppose the Bloody tusk as a religion doesn't exist yet.

I suspect they already have. Its near the close of the Second Age and started to go pretty weird during the time of the Second Council back in the First Age.

But hey, they may go all half-trollish as a rejection of EWF influences on their religion. Which might make for a fun campaign.

Jeff - who's not sure of the time frame of their change without his reference books...

soltakss said:
Looking at broos in the RQM books, it seems as though Mongoose is downplaying their fruity nature, probably so as not to scare people away. So, broos eat people (which is nasty enough) but nothing else is described or even hinted at.
It will come as a shock when people find out the rest of their habits.
I think you're right - and is a sign of the times, imho. In the past my PC's absolutely _hated_ broo because of all the rich elements of their horrific nature outlined in some of the posts above (being an twisted GM :twisted: I used them all).

If the new rules/descriptions are used "as is" they will be much milder creatures. ::shrugs:: Maybe that's a sign of the Second Age; maybe it's a sign of trying to get better acceptance for the core of the product.

But broos were such a _rich_ set of bad guys. 8)

Back