Does anyone use underslung GL's?

Sgt. Brassones

Mongoose
In all the games I've played against MI not once has anyone used the underslung GL on the Morita. I've used them a few times playing MI but, honestly, since they require a ready action to use I don't think they're very practicle.

I've seen them used twice, once to take the last hit off my tanker and kill it and the other when a group of cap troopers were on the other side of some impassable terrain and rained down frag grenades on some poor skinnie slaves.

Only the bugshot grenade requires a ready action!

You can still use frag/flechette. And let's face it, when you're facing off against a Tanker or other beasty that's immune to Moritas, the +1 damage from a flechette makes all the difference.

I think the rare occasion you could use bugshot would be if you went on ready status as a reaction to the bug players final movement (and were still alive) then your first shoot action next turn you open up with the grenades for some sweet warrior killing action.

I use them when I surround a tanker with PAMI. The regular troops gotta have something to do while the special weapons, like flamers are firing. A d6+1 is better than nothing, right? Especially when you have 6 of them and two flamers.

Every once in a while, I might use them on Hoppers then end up in range.

Well, they're pack weapons so you can't react with them at all - but you can use the MI special reaction to take a ready action in the rare occasion that a Bug player gets within 10" of you with his second or third action and doesn't make PBR with the troops.

Then in your first action the next turn, you open up with bugshot grenades. Half as many dice perhaps, but you can get hits on the more substantial bug species and a fair chance of a few kills.

As for the mixed action business - surely if part of your squad is shooting flamers, the other lot have to take a shoot action also? I didn't know you could split actions amongst a unit, the whole unit must take the same action?

This occured to me when I had an Exo squad with one wounded man... he couldn't ready/jump, but could the squad shoot, then ready preparing to jump next turn? I know a wounded model can only take one action, but does it /have/ to be the first action, or can it optionally be the second (thus the whole squad isn't effectively screwed if they choose not to leave the wounded man behind)

Sgt. Brassones said:
In all the games I've played against MI not once has anyone used the underslung GL on the Morita. I've used them a few times playing MI but, honestly, since they require a ready action to use I don't think they're very practicle.

I use them all the time when I get stuck too close to warrior bugs. :shock: Not all of them need a ready. :D

Alexb83 said:
This occured to me when I had an Exo squad with one wounded man... he couldn't ready/jump, but could the squad shoot, then ready preparing to jump next turn? I know a wounded model can only take one action, but does it /have/ to be the first action, or can it optionally be the second (thus the whole squad isn't effectively screwed if they choose not to leave the wounded man behind)

The wounded man can only take one action a turn, but it can be the squad's first or second. So shoot without the wounded man, then ready with him. As for leaving him behind, unfortunately it's not an option. Can't voluntarily end an action with a model out of command.

according to the Skinnies Army Book units of multi-hit models can do just that, leave behind a wounded model

pg35, it does not specify skinnies only, in fact the wording would imply any multihit models

:D i use them a lot, :D and find them very useful against both SKINNIE and BUG targets.

:D i have also used them against HUMAN targets, long before i even knew there would be official REBEL scum to deal with.

DAWGIE

I've played many a game where my opponents should have used underslug G/L's. Take my second battle report for example; I won mostly because my opponent (Battle Forte) didn't realize the value of the underslugs!

Rabidchild said:
Alexb83 said:
As for leaving him behind, unfortunately it's not an option. Can't voluntarily end an action with a model out of command.

:?:
What book and page is this in?
I don't remember reading this in the rules. If it is there I really want to know where. Why wouldn't the MI leave someone?

Voronesh said:
Cause the MI dont leave anyone behind. DUH.

No i dont know where the rule is, but it makes sense.

I have to disagree with you.

I haven't read the book and in the cartoon well that's the Roughnecks and its a cartoon but in the movies we see heroes stay to save the rest of the squad. We also see MI kill other MI out of passion.

If this is a rule I have to find it because I don't like it at all and will play with house rules as long as my opponent is cool with it.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Captain Rooster said:
I've played many a game where my opponents should have used underslug G/L's. Take my second battle report for example; I won mostly because my opponent (Battle Forte) didn't realize the value of the underslugs!

underslugs?

Lorcan Nagle said:
Captain Rooster said:

underslugs?

Type-O! :roll:

Lt. BillyC said:
Rabidchild said:
Alexb83 said:
As for leaving him behind, unfortunately it's not an option. Can't voluntarily end an action with a model out of command.

I don't remember reading this in the rules. If it is there I really want to know where. Why wouldn't the MI leave someone?

Flipping hell guys I posted the page number of the rule which ALLOWS multi-hit units to leave behind a wounded model! :roll:

according to the Skinnies Army Book units of multi-hit models can do just that, leave behind a wounded model

pg35, it does not specify skinnies only, in fact the wording would imply any multihit models

Lt. BillyC said:
Rabidchild said:

I don't have my rules nearby sorry, but it's under the section of taking actions. A model may not voluntarily end an action outside of command range.

Emperorpenguin says there's something in the Skinny army book that allows it, but I haven't read it yet and so can't comment.

Back