Does anyone still play?

I think looking at the forum answers those questions anyway. I don't play, it's an ACTA ghosttown up here, and I'm playtesting something else, but you can see at least some people still play, and as for ship sheets, as ever you will find them in the player resources thread

Not many people around here play any more. I only get to play at organized events these days, such as the one in Aldershot a couple of weeks ago, and the one in Kettering in February (see the 6 page long thread!).

Ship sheets are on my page, click the "www" button or the banner below :D

A couple of us play once a week and then once a month as a larger group. Thinking about a tournament in March or April

We play each SA and some other days if possible.
Fleets are:
Narn, 2x Centauri, Vree, 2x ISA, 2x Shadows, Vorlons, Drazi, Dilgar, Psy Corps, Minbari, EA (1x early, 2x 3., 1x cru.)

I sold my Dilgar. Matt's cryptic non-replies finished me off, but I check back here every once in a while to see if there's any news.

AFAIK the few little German play groups (Berlin, Bremen, Kiel) did not decrease since ACTA ran out of license. Nevertheless some would-be players of ACTA started playing BFG instead, because the AOP ACTA models are very hard and expensive to get here.

Once it died for retail sale, it pretty much died completely in my area. I only check back here once in a while.

In my gaming groups, and in general in my area completely, we've all moved BACK to Starmada and/or Full Thrust. Even though FT has not been printed for years, it's still very active, with free downloads. Starmada is going strong, too.

Since both games are basically "generic", you can tailor things to ANY ship model (real or card). There are tons of B5 and Trek, and Star wars conversions, too. Never mind the absolute market flood of Not-star wars ships and Not-battlestar galactica ships makes it easy under those two games to play any combination of "what if" scenarios of fleets vs. fleets.

Bubba Ho-Tep

I have heard the Jim Fox from Iron Wind is thinking about a 1 day convention in the Cincinnati Area. If I put on a B5 Tournament do you think you can get your group to come north?

tschuma

Tankdriver said:
Ground Zero is apparently working on a new version of Full Thrust. Never tried Starmada though.

Yes, and it is supposed to include all of the previously published material, with all of the updates learned from the adaptation to the Traveller rules and subsequent play testing. Never mind the current DEMAND for a vector thrust mechanic. Should be a pretty good product with lots of flexibility.

That's another strength of FT and Starmada = you can get free rules downloads to read through/try some sample games to see how you want to play. There are literally dozens of support/fan pages with all sorts of conversions for any universe already done for just about any model or mini available, from B5 to the latest Anime.

Interesting how, if you mentioned vector thrust before the late 90s people looked at you like you were crazy. Now, no space combat game is even given serious thought without at least some sort of vector movement mechanic. The problem is they range from super simplistic as to almost be not worth using, to the uber complex system used in Attack Vector/SITS 2.0/Squadron Strike. Of them all, I think Ninja Magic and their With Hositle Intent (free download and readily available metal minis) has it figured out about right (easy, minimal charts, and captures the mechanic as a "game" without the "simulator" feel).

Firestorm Armada is getting a quick following, too, with their large (metal and resin) starships (much like the Star Wars plastic minis).

Funny how a game like Full Thrust that basically hasn't been updated since 2000 (or had it's minis catalog updated since '04), but has ALWAYS had full miniature support (and free rules downloads for years) IS STILL GOING STRONG!

Must have a good business model!

That's what killed ACTA here. Space ship combat players want space ships on the board, NOT cardboard cut out or 3D box minis. Other than a core group of collectors, if you can't get minis for a game that is percieved as a "Miniatures required" game, it's dead.

Many Bremens? I´am from the Bremen! Between Hannover, Bremerhaven and Hamburg.
And Mr. Pink from Hannover belong to our group to.

Yes, this comes one year to late. At ´07, ´08 and spring 09 I had to go most often to Mannheim - Dynamostr. at school for just one week each. :?

My friend and I here in the States are somewhat new to the game and actually enjoying it. Even though it's out of print, we were able to pick up the books and some minis over the last 18 months. It's only now that we've started playing. We meet once or so a month. We're still learning the ropes, but my hope is to know the game well enough to run a few games at GameStorm in Vancouver, WA in March. I'm not going to say the game isn't dead. But a couple of new players has got to count for something, even if its a faint pulse. ;)

The problem with ACTA is the same problem any of these licensed games have: they have enormous licensing fees that make it all but impossible for those games to be affordable, and thus, not as accessible to gamers, old or new. The only licensed TT game I can think of is Star Fleet Battles, but that's because it was also ground breaking gaming which came around in an era before massive licensing fees and Internet gaming.

Can ACTA come back? I think it could, but I guess that depends on the demand. Looking at this board, there seems more demand for it on the right side of the pond than on the left, and that probably tells TPTB that its not worth putting forth the $ into trying to resurrect it (especially considering the 6-figure licensing fee that goes with trying to produce ACTA!)

A small group (part of a larger miniatures group) of us play during the weekend about a once every one or two months at the Hobby Bunker in Malden, MA. I have put some AARs of a few of the games up at http://www.whenimaginationfails.org/. I am about two behind.

We have gotten a bit more interest, and we did two games with about five people this month.

Back