• Never, I just want a fleet of flying bricks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes, they have a job to do in the right circumstance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

H

Cosmic Mongoose
a seemingly endless argument/difference of opinion is ongoing with regard to hull 4 ships. Therefore I ask the question above. This is just a simple poll for a general feel on those little tiny ships.

there actually were 2 more bits, but alas they seem to have gone missing, d'oh. I don't think you can edit a poll once runing

hiffano said:
there actually were 2 more bits, but alas they seem to have gone missing, d'oh. I don't think you can edit a poll once runing

To be honest then your questions/options are loaded with bias

"I only want a fleet of bricks...."

when writing a poll you should keep the options as language neutral as possible

hey, I had 2 more lines on it, not my fault they went, ok, line 5 was highly sarcastic, i'll grant you, but still. . .

I'll take a hull 4 Darkner in a skirmish level game. It's got decent weapons and speed, and while it might get blown apart, it's there to support my Vorchans and other skirmish level ships.

I'll take the hull 4 Corvan when I need a scout, and the hull 4 Haven if I need a tiny little ship to cause aggravation. Hull 4 is fair enough for the ships that have it, really. It's also only a 50% chance for most weapons to hit. 40K players will call that reasonable, why not ACtA players?

Hull 4 ships can play their part in a battle even though they won't last long.
Flanking, seeking weak enemy arcs or just to distract the enemy from your real plan.

Have to agree the poll is a bit loaded language wise. Too few options and the brick thing. Not entirely the writers fault. I think we're missing part of the discussion though. Put up a poll listing the various hull 4 ships and see which ones have actually been taken, would be taken again and did a job other than act as initiative sink.

I know in our group the hull 4 is almost unseen from anyone unless its a scout with stealth, a fill in initiative sink with a long range weapon (20+ range) when the main fleet has bores or the player has no other choice (Drahk and the occasional odd fraction of a FAP). Not saying that's bad just saying that's what they are used as. I do know that many ships regardless of level are simply dropped from folks list over the hull 4 issue.

Anyway, just wanted to say that maybe we might want to discuss what hull for ships folks HAVE used, why the used them. and would they take them again, rather than these limited take a stand polls.

As a primarily Drazi/League player I've flown the Sunhawk (only for initiative sinks, worthless hull) Darkhawk (excellent ship, front arc bombardment initiative sink) Vaarl/Vaarka (okay one hull 3, both excellent due to stealth/scout function) Xorr (never again) Xixx (excellent bombardment ship) Tiraca (won't likely take again above Patrol level despite good weaps/defenses)

Have done some Centaurii fights with hull 4 Corvan is excellent, Haven/Kutai are crap, Darkner - almost always a better choice but it is the lowest beam, Amar - crap.

Played Earth/Narn quite a bit but...
Hmm...maybe not my best idea...so many small ships to comment on...

Ripple

Ripple said:
Have to agree the poll is a bit loaded language wise. Too few options and the brick thing. Not entirely the writers fault. I think we're missing part of the discussion though. Put up a poll listing the various hull 4 ships and see which ones have actually been taken, would be taken again and did a job other than act as initiative sink. Ripple

the poll doesn't let you use multiple choice though so you'd need x number of polls on each ship

You're right though as is hull 4 is too vage because the corvan for example is great it's a scout and has stealth but a haven or kutai is worthless

Nope your drifting away from your earlier point by complaining that Hull 4 ships werent used, you didnt specify you generalised and suddenly "well lookee there lots of useful hull 4 ships!"

Tank said:
Nope your drifting away from your earlier point by complaining that Hull 4 ships werent used, you didnt specify you generalised and suddenly "well lookee there lots of useful hull 4 ships!"

you're putting words into my mouth......

EP

My apologies your quite right (too caught up in the beam debate) it was indeed another poster who talked about Hull 4 ships not being used very much. :oops:

Tank said:
EP

My apologies your quite right (too caught up in the beam debate) it was indeed another poster who talked about Hull 4 ships not being used very much. :oops:

No problem, these debates are far better when we're all polite with one another!

The Olympus Corvette is one nasty little hull 4 ship, and I use it when I feel appropriate. I actually used two in a 4 pt battle last night with shadows, of which I won, and both came out funtional; 1 had taken 10 damage and couldn't use special actions, but other than that they were just fine.

some of my favorat ships have hull 4:

the Dag'Kar - sure it will die quickely but 16 attack dice with an area of effect on a raid level ship!! put ship breakers in that and concentarte all firepower first turn..., or just nuke fighters, and harass stealth ships.

the Moroshin - 8 flights of nails and a fleet carier with stealth, makes it the best battle level carier IMO

most Vree ships - not all that tough but with their turreted weapons and exceptional manuverability they can flank better than any other fleet (shadows not withstanding), heck they can even dance circles around white stars with their tyemporary SM status.

So does anyone use Hull 4 ships that don't have the stealth or scout traits? Or as an initiative sink for a boresite fleet such as the Narn and Drazi? Sounds like other than the odd Vree and Drakh(who don't get a lot of choice about the matter) aside, hull 4 ships are only used if they have stealth.

Back