Diceman

psi_breaker

Mongoose
Perhaps more an interesting aside than a realistic prospect, but does anyone remember the Diceman game/comics 2000AD produced, and what would the chances of Mongoose coming up with a similar publication (given that the original had a short run because it wasn't as popular as they'd have liked)?

Link here: http://www.the-underdogs.info/showbook.php?id=2

I just received a copy of this seemingly rare publication today. Ordered it through Ebay.

Though I have seen the complete 2000AD Dice series ( Five books ) from Home of the Under Dogs Website also.

Looking through the book rather than trying to read it off computer PDF's is much easier.

The three stories within

'Cauldron of Blood'

'DragonCorpse'

'Ring of Danu'

Appear to be all set in atleast two or three of the mystical El worlds.

Taking a guess, I would say the the Glass Tower housing the Cauldron of Blood is contained within EL world of Goblins and other ELementals.

The Ring of Danu, the segments of it, where Slaine and Ukko had to sent into the 'Otherworld' to find these must be contained in the EL world of the Elder Gods.

In DragonCorpse, there is Ukko's place of origin. Scragfaggot Green. A gold mining settlement linked to the same subterrean abode of Goblins or DevELS and Light ELS depending on which way you look at it.

Which sounds really fictious considering alot of the places in Slaine's world on the surface were real places.

In a strange twist of logic, the whole Dwarven settlement could be part of the Goblin EL world as well.

This could be still open to debate.

I've got all but the first copy of Diceman at home somewhere, minus covers and doodled on a bit (because I was about 12 at the time). The Slaine stuff was brilliant - I know they reprinted them in a collected set (as well as running stories in 2000AD with a 'choose your own adventure' style thing tacked onto the end of different 'chapters'.

The main things I missed about Diceman were A. one of Dredd less known encounters with Death (it probably doesn't count as 'canon' because it's a game) and B. the Diceman character himself, who never appeared outside the magazines. As a cross between Indiana Jones and a Call of Cthulhu investigator, facing off both Nazis and gangsters, he seemed such a rich character living in a fascinating version of our world.

Maybe that's a personal project to work on.

I certainly like the stories, though I have to admit that the quality has suffered abit and perhaps thats why they are harder to obtain than the other Slaine stories in the more regular comic.

Of more interest to me was the 'Cauldron of Blood'. Letting you in on how he actualley obtains it.

If your following the story real closely ( Found in the regular comic.), you'll notice there's a gap. Suddenly Slaine has in his possession, that famed Cauldron.

So, I see the 'Cauldron of Blood' as a essentail Slaine story.

Standing-Stone said:
If your following the story real closely ( Found in the regular comic.), you'll notice there's a gap. Suddenly Slaine has in his possession, that famed Cauldron.

So, I see the 'Cauldron of Blood' as a essentail Slaine story.

I thought it was given to him by Merlin in exchange for his services fighting the ever living ones? It's at the start of Slaine the King I think.

You mean Myrddin. Who's based on Merlin without actualley being Merlin. You should read Slaine : The Treasures of Britain as the actual King Authur's Merlin features in it.

Anyway, I always had the impression that he let Slaine keep the Cauldron ( That he had already mysterioulsy obtained...) for his own tribe, so that he may become king. He never gave it to him. He noticed that Slaine had it already and decided to let him keep it. Perhaps he has the right to claim magical treasure for what he was. Perhaps he was the original owner.

Altyhough you may still be correct, and that maybe a reason why 'Cauldron of Blood' is hardly ever referrred to.

( Looking through 'Slaine The King')

Fourth page on the top panel. it says in the box narrative.

'As a reward for helping the Ever-Living ones Myrddin had allowed Slaine to take away the legendary Cauldron of Blood....'

Take, not give

Myrddin is saying in that very same panel.

'Take good care of it. It is the most sacred of our treasures
and will be of more use than any weapon.... when you become the Sun King of your tribe.'

To your credit. It is hard to tell what Myrddin means exactly when he says it is the most Sacred of OUR treasures.

Wether it had always been the property of the Ever-living ones. ( The Slane Diceman story does contridict with this, though.)

Wether he now claims it as their own most sacred treasures, now that Slaine has brought it back.

Wether the Ever-living ones had the thing stolen from them by Slough Grunsgul of the Glass Tower in the past and Slaine had merely been sent to retreive it. Perhaps it has Myrddin's inititials Oghamed on it somewhere.

Wether the whole trip to the Glass tower was a totally random event and Slaine had stumbled across this old Atleantean treasure by accident.

Though I do prefer the explanation that 'Cauldron of Blood ' offers. Re-reading through that part of Slaine the King, it certainly fills in the gap where Slaine is just seen to be attaching the Cauldron to the Knucker.

Unless something that I missed happening at the end of the last chapter of 'Time-Killer' 'The Tomb of Grimnismal' ( which was strangley ) left out in the souveneur hard back edition.

The Spoils of Annwn or even 'Tomb of Terror' have something else to add to this.

Standing-Stone said:
You mean Myrddin. Who's based on Merlin without actualley being Merlin.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Myrddin is pronounced Merlin (or is very similar).
I'm also pretty sure that the original stories revolving Myrddin pre date King Arthur and Merlin, so Merlin is actually based on Myrddin. :D

Well, I not going to argue against that.

I think Myrrddin was a cool Slaine character and hope to see his Stats printed up in a future Slaine Runequest supplement.

Standing-Stone said:
I think Myrrddin was a cool Slaine character and hope to see his Stats printed up in a future Slaine Runequest supplement.

I think Myrddin was pretty damn cool as well (not to mention a snappy dresser!) but I prefer major NPC's (especially such powerfull ones) to remain unstated in my RPG's. Leaves it up to me to decide what powers etc they can do then and removes any players moaining "but he can't cast that spell/use that weapon etc.

I have 2 copies of issue 1 and a copy each of issues 2 and 5 if anyone wants them.

Just cover the postage (likely not that much) and I'll pass them over.

Either reply here or PM me if interested.

Standing-Stone said:
How much is postage to Australia?

Ok having weighed the 4 mags they come to 620g roughly.

Royal Mail quote that as £7.52 (once I add in packaging weight etc).

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?mediaId=53800712&catId=400036

That's without any insurance.

If you wanted it to be insured (ie if it was lost in the post etc) then it'd be an extra £4.20 so that'd be £11.72

I'd take Paypal for this.

Back