Death of Personality

El Cid

Mongoose
I'm putting a NPC into my PBEM game and was looking for ideas on how DoP should work.

The situation is that the NPC was involved in an event about ten years ago and then dropped out of sight.

About three years ago, he was captured as a Raider in an attack on a freighter.

Found guilty in EA space, he was sentenced to DoP.

Here are some questions I need to answer:

1) Can the memories be retreaved by a teep?

2) Is the attempt to retreave these memories allowed under the EA legal system?

3) Any other ideas?

Memories can be retrieved, heck one can even undo the DoP (it was in an episode in season 4 or 5).

It is illegal for EA telepaths to undo that without due papers (nothing prevents a centauri as one can see in the show).

I think DOP has been outlawed by president Sheridan as a consequence of his experience with a DOP "victim"

As with anything DOP will eventually break down, a person will have deja vu and flashbacks or strange dreams.

El Cid said:
I'm putting a NPC into my PBEM game and was looking for ideas on how DoP should work.
The situation is that the NPC was involved in an event about ten years ago and then dropped out of sight.
About three years ago, he was captured as a Raider in an attack on a freighter.
Found guilty in EA space, he was sentenced to DoP.

Here are some questions I need to answer:
1) Can the memories be retreaved by a teep?
2) Is the attempt to retreave these memories allowed under the EA legal system?
3) Any other ideas?

Sure, the memories can be retrieved by a telepath; you just have to have one that is willing. I imagine that it is niether pleasent or cheap.

Graknor Stev is right that it is illegal for Human telepaths, but as to whether or not it is illegal for normal humans to try and trigger the event is something else entirely. It would probably take a good bit of knowledge about the individual's former life, but could be doable given time and effort. The psybche is amazingly powerful and struggles to survive. If they were able to generate enough psychological trauma to cause the new personality to search for a reason to remember then I see it as possible. Though the memories could be as incomplete as plot demands.

If you do follow along with the idea that the group has to try to gain the information without the help of a teep, then you could have them try and find his old raider group; track down the teep who performed the DoP and get them to reveal what they saw; maybe even tempt them with an alien device that will reveal the individuals memories if only the kill him and place his brain in the device (interesting moral quanderies here).

Back