Dear Mongoose - Lose the resin

Jiraiya1969

Mongoose
Seriously,

With all the problems I have had with the Klingon C8, I would personally pay a few extra bucks for the larger ships if they were cast in metal.

Please discuss.

The fact they switched back to metal for the majority of the range is far better then another miniatures company that is finding resin hard to work with/a disaster and is just ignoring the problem.
I admit, I do wish the condor and klingon dread where not resin though.

With the Condor and Klingon dread I'm not sure the standard plastic stand could take that much awesome in metal.

The current resin dreads are of a much higher quality than the initial resin run (and also made of a different resin).

I think that if they made the Condor or C8 in pewter, that it would be a REALLY good idea to issue a different stand with them. One that's much beefier, and shorter so that they are less likely to tip over. I already see a tendency for the Fed DNs to tip more easily than most ships, and the ball and socket issue with the heavier DN means it's more likely to tilt alot.

Of course there is then the cost issue, that of the pewter DN probably costing more.

The current dreadnought castings are much better than the first run, this is true. There is also a another factor to consider - lose the resin, lose the dreadnoughts. It is not as simple as just switching the material, as casting large pieces in metal brings its own issues (we have been down this road before).

Now, we know a lot more about resin casting than we did even a year ago, and you can see this in (for example) our Victory at Sea range, where we are running at close to 0% failure rate. The hybrid Battlestation is another example, which you will see in February.

The difference is in the model's design, and it is very difficult to turn SFU ship designs into resin-friendly castings. We do have some ideas here, however, and we will be trying them on the forthcoming battleships (apart from the Mars-class, which is all metal, just like the Federation dreadnought). Success here will mean we can go back to the dreadnoughts and redesign them.

msprange said:
(apart from the Mars-class, which is all metal, just like the Federation dreadnought)..
You have no idea how releived that makes me feel.
Must admit I am curious about the Gettysburg and whereever you will have adapted some of the stuff from the Kearsage/Chicago class into them, paticually about those damned engines connection onto the main hull (My lexington and new wolverine reminded me about that.

Using a metal Fed dreadnought was less of a hassle for me because I switched to rare-earth magnet connectors with shorter stands and lost the ball & socket ones a long time ago. I also have a special base with a washer glued underneath the base for extra stability which has worked out quite well.

I could see potential center of gravity issues if I didn't use the above tips.

I for one will be looking forward to you getting resin right - I find metal horrible to work with, especially as the castings start to degrade.

I look at the Dystopian Wars stuff and see what resin can be when it really works. I do recognize that the saucer/nacelle design is likely particularly tough to cast in resin but if it can be done, the cast is ultimately superior both in possible detail and in weight.

billclo said:
I think that if they made the Condor or C8 in pewter, that it would be a REALLY good idea to issue a different stand with them.
IIRC, ADB sold the smaller Starline 2400 version of the C8 with a metal stand, becuase the plastic stands weren't strong enough to support the weight. I'm sure that this would be even more of a problem with the larger Starline 2500 ship from Mongoose.

I'm frankly amazed my Federation dreadnoughts stand up fine, though they have tipped over before. I'm more than a little nervous about the Mars-class being metal.

I don't mind the bulk of the ships being metal, but I really think the largest ships (dreadnoughts and up) should generally be resin due to the sheer weight of a metal version.

The mars actually isnt too bad. Im not using the standard bases so i just put it on a 1 inch peg and i have no problems.

Question to the forum. Does Mongoose still swap out bad resin sets for metal? Reason I ask is that I recently purchased 3 fleets from different Ebay sellers, and had totally forgotten about the resin/metal fiasco. So, if any of these are resin and of less than optimal quality, can you send them back for exchange?

Back