Damage, Healing and Stat Mod Loss.

Marachai

Mongoose
Hi All :)

I have a question and I need to know if I am applying the rules as written from the main book.

I understand the progression of damage as a person takes it. Start with their END, then moving on to either Str or Dex as the player decides.

Although I haven't found a rule saying so (Though I may has missed it) , I assume as a stat comes down its DM changes based on its new damaged score. So, using END as an example, if it started as a 9 but took 5 pts of damage it would drop to a 4, then it would go from giving the player a +1 DM to a -1 DM on all END tasks ?

Assuming the above is true, and that all damage is first taken from END, before other stats, when it comes time to healing up I assume that means the damaged END DM is used with the healing rules ?

So natural healing would be 1d6 + END DM for a restful day. So a Char taken to 0 END would be 1d6 - 3.

So this pretty much would mean any seriously wounded char will have a -3 per day heal as its set to his END DM only ?

Is this how it works, or am I wrong to apply the DM based on damaged stat value ? :)

Thanks for any help and advice offered.

Yep i think your right, as in the book i believe it does state that a charcter could die if left in a bad way without some form of healing, medical or auto doc

My players have become painfully aware of this, as the one autodoc on the ship isn't quite enough to deal with the damage they received in a nasty set of encounters with combat drones and reprogrammed repair drones. While some are getting healed, others are slowly bleeding out from a lack of adequate medical care.

I like a system where serious wounds can fester and turn gangrenous. :twisted:

I read this just the other day, but didn't consider your point.

My thoughts are that the stat does decline for all skill use purposes, but for the purposes of healing I would use the original END Dm - the assumption underlying the rule being that fit and health people heal that bit quicker (but also, they have that little bit further to go to get to be fully healed, which lessens the benefit somewhat).

This came up in our game today tooo. We decided to use the END modifier after applying damage.

Mike

Now you know why you need skilled Medics.

And also why they do get somewhat tetchy when the same faces turn up, week in, week out, each time with yet another set of impressive wounds for them to patch up.

I could actually see doing it both ways. If you are badly injured and alone with little to no trauma experience or equipment, your adjusted END score is going to be used for some or all recovery checks. What a good medkit, personal training, or an attending physician is giving you is the opportunity to use your native END instead.

Some injuries and diseases will, of course, change the rule...

"A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to SLOW DOWN!"

I was the GM.

I just ruled that since PC was given first aid then taken to a hospital and given a shot of medical slow drug; then resting while in jump for a week, they were fine even with a -5 modifier to Endurance.

Mike

It's clear actually, the rule applies to adjusted END (emphasis mine):

p 74 "A seriously wounded character only regains characteristic points equal to his Endurance DM per day of rest, which means that the character may never heal naturally and will even get worse if his Endurance DM is currently negative"

I'm not sure I really like this, as it suggests that the most seriously injured people all heal at exactly the same rate to begin with. And of all the characteristic, END counts for the least at the minute. So go with whatever suits you game, I guess.

phild said:
It's clear actually, the rule applies to adjusted END (emphasis mine):

p 74 "A seriously wounded character only regains characteristic points equal to his Endurance DM per day of rest, which means that the character may never heal naturally and will even get worse if his Endurance DM is currently negative"

I'm not sure I really like this, as it suggests that the most seriously injured people all heal at exactly the same rate to begin with. And of all the characteristic, END counts for the least at the minute. So go with whatever suits you game, I guess.

Worse, End is the first stat damaged in MGT...

GypsyComet said:
I could actually see doing it both ways. If you are badly injured and alone with little to no trauma experience or equipment, your adjusted END score is going to be used for some or all recovery checks. What a good medkit, personal training, or an attending physician is giving you is the opportunity to use your native END instead.

Some injuries and diseases will, of course, change the rule...

"A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to SLOW DOWN!"

For the record, for my games I haven't decide on this issue yet.....

Personally, for me and the way I game I love 'death spiral' damage systems. It really makes combat something a player should think hard about an ask themselves, "Is this worth risking the character's life over?"

But yes, from my understanding of the rules phild posted above the OP is correct in assuming that a character uses their new, lower stat when checking recovery.

It would be wise to reduce END damage first with the first aid check, to reduce the penalty.

Seriously wounded means all characteristics have taken damage. That's pretty messed up.

First aid roll goes on END. Only as you get through the critical phase does your natural fitness come into play (as End goes up to Max). Then possible bonuses to healing..

Pretty realistic for such a simple system, if you ask me.

GypsyComet said:
I rather like this idea, and will be using it in my game.

Medic-2+ OR TL13+ medkit OR Autodoc = native END
none of the above = adjusted END

It really gives the players a good reason to maintain their equipment and take good care of their doctor, and also gives a small reward to the doctor for having focused on doctoring stuff in the first place.

Back