Cybernet - Misc.

Socket

Mongoose
Socket with a question said:
Also, do we really add in the reflex saving throw to defense instead of the dex bonus?

The book it indicates that the equipment bonus is a Damage Reduction modifier but the defense formula in the book has an euipment bonus in it as well. Is that correct or am I missing something?

In any instance when there is a contact gained without a level immediately associated with it, one can assume its level should be 1/2 the character's level (minimum of one).

As for the Defence questions, could you please restate them? I am not sure what you are asking.

-August

Mongoose August said:
As for the Defence questions, could you please restate them? I am not sure what you are asking.

-August
Sure, the book makes multiple references to adding your reflex saving throw into your defense bonus, is this correct or should it only be dex added to your defense bonus?

There are some entries in the book that suggest that some armour will give you a bonus to defense instead of to Damage Reduction. Is that correct?

Socket

yeah, I noticed that too and got into a discussion with friends over it. Cyberarmor give bonus to DV not DR. How does it make you able to dodge bullets better? I understand that you can soak more damage, but pull a Neo?

PsyJack

Humm cyberarmour should give you a DR. I havent seen any eqipment that gives you a DV increase . The armours listed in equipment all give DR. There are some feats that do like dodge.
Also there are some cyberware options that increase dex or provide a direct DV bouns. Also Id like to point out that if your wearing cyberarmour
you look like an insectoid. Just my personal thoughts

Hi there.
First of all, nice work! Great book, great universe, and nice to see follow-ups upon questions and criticisms.
Then on to the more pressing issues.
Socket said:
Also, do we really add in the reflex saving throw to defense instead of the dex bonus?

I'm having a bit of a problem with this one as well. At the time I'm upgrading myself to the role of GM, having played various other rpg's in my career. For this I chose Cybernet, having loved Cyberpunk in my day.
As far as I know Socket is right, as those I normally game with agreed upon. On the character sheets it also says dex. mod. and not ref. save. So to me it seems, that the relflex save has butted itself in and pushed the dex. mod. out on page 152. Is this right?

- Sonny Sixshooter

Well, I can't verify the rules, but I can insert a little bit of knowledge.

The Judge Dredd System uses the following for Defensive Values:
Base of 10, plus reflex save, plus misc.

So, using that knowledge, one could simply say that Cybernet uses Reflex Save, not Dex. since we know that Dex, is figured into the Reflex save.

Personally, I don't have a problem with using the Reflex save. It grants more experienced players a greater knowledge of how to be where the bullets aren't. Thus a level 1 character is easier to hit than a level 10 character.

Just some thoughts,
Psyjack

psyclonejack said:
Well, I can't verify the rules, but I can insert a little bit of knowledge.

The Judge Dredd System uses the following for Defensive Values:
Base of 10, plus reflex save, plus misc.

So, using that knowledge, one could simply say that Cybernet uses Reflex Save, not Dex. since we know that Dex, is figured into the Reflex save.

Personally, I don't have a problem with using the Reflex save. It grants more experienced players a greater knowledge of how to be where the bullets aren't. Thus a level 1 character is easier to hit than a level 10 character.

Just some thoughts,
Psyjack

CN is based on d20 ModernSRD and JD is based of d20SRD.
Characters in CN already get a level dependant bonus to defense as part of the character class, adding your reflex save really boosts this. Characters in JD do not get this additional bonus.

I agree with you that JD doesn't have this bonus. But we are trying to rationalize changing the rules to make them more like other rules we know. Instead of doing that. Lets use it the way it was written . . .

CN - REFlex + Defense + other stuff
JD - Reflex + other stuff

Two different games . . . two different rules . . . course the GM has the last word. I guess i am just wondering why all the fuss. It doesn't really hurt anything in my mind boosting the DV of players. They are still going to get hit, and sometimes they are still going to die.

Psyjack

You're right. I was only wondering if it might be a mistake. I play AD&D myself and ther it's the Dex mod. not the reflex save that is added to defence, so I was rather confused about it when I read it. Because this is what I am used to, I find that reflex save and defence are two entirely different things.
This being my first time GM'ing I am trying to get a hold of these things, because I have to know if I am to help my players create their character, and I can explain adding dex. but I can't really explain why we should add reflex.
Thanks for all replies, it's been helpful.

- Sonny

My guess is they added the ref save to DV for two reasons. One to show how an adanved character is better able to live through gunfights.Two In other games systems there are ways to boost your DV/AC. So they need ed so way to boost the ones in cybernet.

Okay, this may sound like a stupid question, but what part of the reflex save do you add.
Base Reflex save?
Base Reflex save + Dex bonus?
Base Reflex save + Dex bonus + 1d20 roll?
Any help would be appreicieted

Back