Critical hits question: ACTA StarFleet

Raxonika

Mongoose
If I have a critical hit and in the end phase I successfully make a damage control die roll, the critical hit level drops by one. I take it that speed etc recovers, but I don't recover hull damage nor do I get marines back. ( damaged / dead etc).

I then take another critical hit in the following turn. I assume that any movement affect reinstates - does hull damage also reoccur ? ( We are playing that it does). Could you confirm that this is correct ?

Thanks.

I have a critical question of my own. A level 4 Weapons Critical and a Level 2 Shields critical both have the following effect (in addition to other effects):

"Make Crew Quality check of 9 at end of every End Phase or +1 Dilithium Chamber Critical Score"

Now, obviously when I'm at a Level 4 weapons and/or Level 2 Shield critical I suffer that effect. My question is twofold:

1) Do I still have to roll this crew quality check if the critical score for that location is higher? Such as a Level 3+ Shields critical or a Level 5+ Weapons Critical. If I have one of those do I still need to make the roll?
2) Do I have to make this crew quality check TWICE if I have both criticals?

I assume "YES" to both questions, however I'd like to know for sure.

msprange said:
Yes to both!

Oh, I just realized, does this include ESCALATE criticals? Once you reach say, level 2 Crew Critical (Multiple Fires) which has an Escalate, does it continue escalating even after increasing to a level 3 Crew Critical?

Cause if so... :shock:

GalagaGalaxian said:
msprange said:
Yes to both!

Oh, I just realized, does this include ESCALATE criticals? Once you reach say, level 2 Crew Critical (Multiple Fires) which has an Escalate, does it continue escalating even after increasing to a level 3 Crew Critical?

Cause if so... :shock:

Yup.

If a fire starts, you might want to have a look at putting it out :)

For Dilithium Chamber Hits & Shield hits. Do you recover lost shields in this manner if you fix the critical? Or is it like with hull damage, it does not return and it does "reoccur"?

I believe the "-5 shields" is to the MAX shields rating. This may cause shield reduction if the new max is above your current shield rating. It will certainly reduce the effectiveness of "Boost power to shields!" if your tens digit decreases.

We've tended to play that '-#' to shields, drops your total, but doesn't effect regen with the SA. That said, you don't get the points lost back until you boost the shield after you repair the critical.
Allowing the max level for regen to be effected would actually make sense, and help out the slow boosting ships, as generally a loss of 5 doesn't have any effect, where ALL the 20+ ships generally have at max 24 (24-5=19, so 1d6 boost).

Love the way that i keep finding bits to these rules :)

One other thing in regards to Critical Hit Damage & Locations.

The All hands on Deck Special order which gives you a boost to your Damage Control. Does this action mean you dont have to select a section, you just roll and repair that many Crit Damage locations?

IE
Crew Quality of 5

5+2+d6 = repair that many locations total, not just in one section.

It says ".. and may attempt to repair any number of critical hit locations in this End Phase"

Which I interpret to mean you can roll a Crew Quality check (with +2 bonus) for all 5 critical locations on the ship to try to repair each.

Very handy when you've got fires all over the ship, weapons and shields are barely working and the warp core is about to explode. :x

Got another one. I know it was stated earlier in another thread that Battlestations (and other immobile targets) "ignore" impulse criticals. Does this mean they should be ignored completely, or should extra damage and things like escalate and extra criticals be applied as normal?

Which I interpret to mean you can roll a Crew Quality check (with +2 bonus) for all 5 critical locations on the ship to try to repair each.

Very handy when you've got fires all over the ship, weapons and shields are barely working and the warp core is about to explode.

Yup. In fact, unless you've got a particularly good CQ, All hands on Deck is pretty much the only way to recover from critical damage in a useful period of time...

I interpreted "ignore" to mean "apply no effects of impulse criticals whatever".
Certainly how I've seen Vuldrok played in Noble Armada, who ignore shield criticals. It essentially gives you a 1/6 chance of a critical doing nothing beyond a solid hit.

Another question about shield crits. If a shield crit indicates shield reduction, but the shields are already at zero, is that damage taken as normal?

Back