Cover (as hide behind/conceal) questions

@nats - as I said, killing a PC is really a Ref's call.

The really key aspect of that statement is that PC's can 'die' by mechanics and in roleplay, but they aren't really killed off unless and until a Ref decides...

As a game with the ultimate goal of everyone having fun - killing PC's should really be something a Player and the Ref are both comfortable with. In my games, Players agree to their PCs dying - I give them the option beforehand (start of game) or immediately after the PC 'dies' (i.e. they aren't clinically dead, just 'mostly dead' - hehe Princess Bride reference).

Since I never really played campaigns - my players always enjoying making up new PCs - my adventures where generally tailored to the PCs, so there were plenty of times when we didn't kill off PCs... that would have caused too much work and disruption to the story. (Now if a player got in a mood to be silly and suicidal their PC could become 'good as dead' - roleplaying a coma gets boring for most folks ;) ).

But, since my players enjoyed rolling up new PCs - and roleplaying the dramatic death scene had its own rewards (sometime players would opt for a heroic suicide - gallantly throwing away their PCs - for the fun of it) - I was used to smoothly getting a player back in the game. Most times, players would do chargen right then. Depending, it would either become a group thing, or the player would hastely make up their PC and surprise me (and then the group).

However, other games were played with the expectation that all or most of the PC would die. To get used to the rule mechanics, the idea of roleplaying (most times, my players have never played an RPG before, but people have almost always 'pretended' to be someone else), and to encourage roleplay despite the 'risks', I'd have a first adventure with each player rolling up usually 3 PCs. They might play all at the same time or one at a time. The adventure will kill one or all of the PCs - guaranteed!

This does a number of things - first everyone enjoys and gets used to the mini-game of chargen (and MgT really has made this better with the connection skills and descriptive events, IMO). Second, nobody has ever rolled up identical PCs for themselves - so they are encouraged to roleplay each one differently (stats especially help define them). I make a big deal about playing up weaknesses - encouraging players to see the potential of 'bad' rolls to make the game more challenging and enjoyable.

Third, it inherently helps get people over 'character attachment syndrome' - in D&D and leveling games, I found people (including myself early on) get so attached too attached to a character - and never discover the true range of roleplaying opportunities inherent in playing other characters. Especially random ones...

And this brings me to @BFalcon's post.

I"ve always 'trusted' my players. That is important. Not because I don't believe any of them will not 'cheat' - but because I really could care less if they do. It is up to the player - if they only think they can enjoy a game by 'cheating' why would I want to ruin their 'fun'? I don't design adventures expecting the dice to go against my players during chargen or play - so it's not like this really 'hurts' my game.

The thing is - I make the 'bad' rolls fun. This is the key - people who like to 'win' all the time generally want attention for it. If the awful rolls are getting more 'attention' they lose their desire quite quickly to make super-sophonts or always succeed at every task roll. Ultimately, its a lot more fun to have a drawn out battle of PC life and death - a struggle to survive against the odds - than it is to have one that is simply: you fire, you hit, the enemy is dead. Peer pressure works against the 'cheater' when everyone else wants a challenge.

I roll up sample characters with my Players (sometimes they become NPCs that the PCs have a history with - this is really cool with MgT) - elaborating on their weaknesses, more than their strengths. Giving concrete examples - 'character-wise' - to make the PC come alive. 'Cheaters' suddenly start wanting to have the crappiest PCs at the table - so they can really ham up their limps, lisps, hangups and those Exceptional Failures... :mrgreen:

BP: Oh, I agree... but it's sometimes not fair on the players who try to roleplay to have some (in D&D) 18/00 Str, 18 Dex, 18 Con warrior who can just waltz through the enemies like there's no tomorrow. I either have to ramp up the opposition to match the party and risk killing PCs unfairly or keep it the same and have them walk through all the "danger". Players who end up with characters like that also end up being the ones who want to run from encounter to encounter disrupting the group. Probably one reason for me disliking such players is that I had to GM for a club group, so couldn't NOT have such players in the group...

I like to roleplay fairly but firmly - I strive to let players kill themselves, not have me do it and certainly not through bad luck. I often fudged dice rolls (in secret) so that PCs didn't die from really bad luck (counting ambush ranged criticals as normal hits, for example... but normal combat it was (usually) fair enough if you went down). I also used the -10 hp when it was an optional rule, but if you went below 0, you were out cold, so no player discussions (you were allowed to yell or scream as you got hit, but were assumed to be moaning after that)... go grab a cola from the machine or take a comfort break... :)

The big advantage with private groups is that you're not pushed for time... the other advantage is that you can ask players not to come again if they're being disruptive, so it can be easier to weed out the worst of the players for the style of group that you and the majority of the players feel comfortable with.

The big advantage of the "firm but fair" style is that players really feel that they've accomplished something... if they get it handed to them, they don't appreciate it so much... if they had to really think about it or face real danger, they appreciate it a lot more. And I always aim to make life hard for people who cheat - one example, Cyberpunk this time, was a pair of players who thought they'd pulled a fast one with gambling and proposed using cards instead of gambling checks... I went along with it, wondering where the catch was - turns out they were marked cards. I shrugged, let them get away with it and then decided that one of them was going to get pickpocketed on the way home and decided on the spot who was going to be evens and who was odd. They decided to split the money between them and I made a secret pickpocket roll and told the player that it was pretty busy this evening and this guy had just bumped into him. I then asked him to make a roll and used it to check for his perception so see if he'd noticed - he hadn't... a few minutes later, he suddenly thinks to check his pocket... realising that the money's gone, he spies the guy some way down the street and a chase ensues. Losing the guy in the back alleys, they went back to their squat. They ended up with half the money they had and, even though I punished them for cheating, they had every chance to overcome the penalty and earn that money.

To me, that was both fair and just and how every GM should treat the players. I hate players who go out of their way to kill players, but I also don't like GMs who just sit back and let players do what they like and succeed anyhow. The former aren't fair and players will soon get bored with the latter, unless you involve them in a galaxy-changing campaign, in which case they'll get bored later when there's nothing left to do... keeping the players struggling but allowing them to make headway means that, when they win, they feel like they're on top for once... (never mind that you actually may have "forgotten" to bring in the ambush by one of the villain's henchman that you'd planned to, since the party was so weakened by a combat you'd got a little too heavy). :)

The GM should be there to help you out, but as the saying goes: "The GM helps those who help themselves..."

I'm more of the opinion that a good roleplaying session should be like a film - in that I'm happy to fudge rolls and let players scrape through otherwise fatal encounters if and only if it's good for the storyline. However, once the players get to the final scenes, as it were - I go mostly with the rolls and if a character dies, it can be a very dramatic moment. On the other hand I will reward stupidity with embarrassing, painful (for the PC) or fatal consequences - but only after warning the players in question once or twice. A GM shouldn't just spring a fatal situation on a stupid player with no warning - that PC should have 1 or 2 warnings (in-game) and if they still persist, they deserve everything you can throw at them, lol! :twisted:

Rick said:
A GM shouldn't just spring a fatal situation on a stupid player with no warning - that PC should have 1 or 2 warnings (in-game) and if they still persist, they deserve everything you can throw at them, lol! :twisted:

Fully agree... my pet hates are the deadfall traps that if you fail one roll, you're dead. I try to avoid those whenever possible. I actually fudged the rolls quite a bit - let them get away with 1hp or only just into negative hp if I couldn't fudge them without being too obvious (it's hard, for example, to only award 1 hp damage if the players know it's a 1d6+1 damage coming in).

I do prefer to avoid the "film feel" though but them I tend to do longer campaigns and have a more freeform "sandbox" style, not a set adventure that the group needs to go on. I'll instead have a stock supply of standby dungeon adventures and maps I can use and will have tried to get every major settlement within a week or two's travel as detailed as I think I need. I'll then drop tips and hints of possible adventures into the campaign (yes, even resorting to the "mysterious hooded stranger in the corner of the Tavern" if I must...). :)

@Mountainman - I can understand your thinking...I think. While it is hard to use the combat rules all the times there are some situations where it is needed. In my games, we run light rules most of the time but when it comes to combat you need to get a bit more crunchy.

I believe that the players who are playing combat junkies....i mean military type personnel...would know which weapon to use and when AND how long it would take to get through said obstacle so yes a system is needed to cover that. I like the X points per inch (hate metrics) where they have to go through that first (if shooting straight on). Grenades, etc can be lobbed over, etc.

Back