Couple of Rule Clarifications Needed

ryhopewood

Mongoose
Hi all

A couple of rule clarifications needed.

(1) Barbarian - Versatility feature states that
"All barbarians suffer only a -2 penalty when using a weapon with which they are not proficient, including exotic weapons , improvised weapons and melee weapons that cannot usually be thrown."
I've taken the reference to thrown weapons to mean that Versatility does not apply to ranged weapons at all. Am I right?

(2) Can the Intricate Swordplay feat be used with two-handed weapon fighting?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ian

(1) I take it to mean that melee weapons that cannot normally be thrown may be thrown with a -4 to hit. With Versatility, that penalty is reduced to -2.
IOW, Versatility does apply to exotic ranged weapons like Bosonian Longbows.

(2) I've ruled that it does not, but I don't have the rules in front of me to back that up.

I agree with sbarrie on 1)

On page 112 of the Conan AE rule book, it does say "whenever you have a broadsword or arming sword in one hand . . . "

I would interpret that to mean that you cannot use those swords two handed and still get the benefit of the feat. Did you mean two-weapon fighting?

ryhopewood said:
Hi all

A couple of rule clarifications needed.

(1) Barbarian - Versatility feature states that
"All barbarians suffer only a -2 penalty when using a weapon with which they are not proficient, including exotic weapons , improvised weapons and melee weapons that cannot usually be thrown."
I've taken the reference to thrown weapons to mean that Versatility does not apply to ranged weapons at all. Am I right?
You're wrong. Normally a character takes a -4 non-proficiency penalty to attack rolls when using a weapon that 1) he does not have the weapon proficiency feat for or 2) is an improvised weapon. The Versatility ability mitigates this penalty. If you throw a melee weapon that is not listed as thrown weapon it is treated as an improvised weapon with a 10' range increment, and therefore falls under category 2 above. That is the situation that the rule is refering to when it says "melee weapons that cannot usually be thrown".

So if your barbarian has versatility and decides to throw his greatsword at an enemy then he only takes a -2 penalty to hit because it is an improvised weapon. Likewise if he picks up, lets say a Stygian bow, he also only suffers a -2 penalty because it is a weapon he is not proficient with (assuming of course he does not have the exotic weapon proficiency).

(2) Can the Intricate Swordplay feat be used with two-handed weapon fighting?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ian
The feat says you must have a broadsword or arming sword in one hand so no, you cannot use Two Handed Fighting and Intricate Swordplay at the same time. However you can hold another weapon in your off hand and use Two Weapon Fighting if you like.

Hope that helps.

Another rules clarification:

With Two Weapon Slash, how is Armor Piercing rating determined? Are the armor piercing ratings of the two slashing weapons added together, or is the primary hand weapon armor piercing rating used?

Back