Rules concerning opening combat, attack rolls and damage

Eilif

Mongoose
Hello fellow Shield Maidens,

there seem to be some contradictions or at least, confusion concerning the rules for opening combat, attack rolls and damage.
First, the rule who goes first in combat is stated in two places in the Training Guide: In the combat section, p. 103 (Turn Order) and the Quick Reference Guide, p. 185 (Open Combat). The former says: ‚To calculate this each Shield Maiden taking part in the fight rolls 2D6 and adds their Understanding Branch Score‘.
The latter states, that ‚Shield Maidens roll 2D6+SPD+Acrobatics‘ to determine turn order.
Personally, I think the combat section is right. Is it?

Next, the rules for attack rolls of Shield Maidens are different between the Training Guide and the GM-Screen:

Melee-Attack:

p. 106 and 186: 2D6+MGT+Fighting
GM-Screen: 2D6 + STR+Fighting

Ranged Weapons:

p. 106 and 186: 2 D6+OBS+Ranged Weaponry
GM-Screen: 2D6 + SPD+Ranged Weaponry

I think the error is in the GM-Screen.

And last, there is some confusion in damage calculation (damage dealt by Shield Maidens)

Melee-Damage:

P. 186: Damage: Attackers weapon
GM-Screen: MGT+ Damage (+amount over defence)

Fist Damage:

p. 186: MGT+ Fist Fighting
GM-Screen: MGT+ Fighting (+Amount over Defence)

So, which one is right?

Also, on the GM-Screen, the OBS gets added to the damage dealt with Ranged Weapons and MGT+Athletics to the damage of thrown weapons.
The former is wrong, as only weapons damage (+amount over defence) counts with ranged weapons.
The latter could be right, but I doubt the addition of the Athletics-Subskill to damage.

Any comments on all this?

Greetings from Midgard

Eilif Sifsdottir

Hi there,
- 'To calculate this each Shield Maiden taking part in the fight rolls 2D6 and adds their Understanding Branch Score‘. - Correct
- p. 106 and 186: 2D6+MGT+Fighting - Correct
- p. 106 and 186: 2 D6+OBS+Ranged Weaponry - Correct
- Damage (I copied the text in here for clarity) 'Check your Shield Maiden’s total attack roll, and determine how much higher it is than her opponent’s Defence. For instance, if your Shield Maiden rolled a total of 14 on her attack roll and her foe’s Defence score is 10, she rolled 4 higher. Add that number to her weapon’s Damage score. This total is deducted from the injured party’s Vitality'.
- Ranged weapons/thrown weapons: 'Ranged weapons deal an amount of damage derived from how high the attack roll goes, plus the weapon’s Damage score, just like melee weapons.' / 'Thrown weapons deal damage equal to the Shield Maiden’s Might plus the Weapon’s damage.'

I hope this helps, and thank you for noticing that. My apologies for that getting through checks.

...and a quick follow-up question:

Runes increase both Defense and Resistance (for Attenuated Armour), is that right? (e.g. a Shield Maiden with a Toxin-Resistant Suit (+4) / 11 Runes / Speed 4 / Acrobatics 2 would have a Defense Score of 22 and would absorb 15 Damage Points of Damage as well)

Thanks!

Back